The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
If those morons call that last play "goaltending" one more time my head will explode!!

Sigh...I fell better now
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Arrow Um...

Dan, hate to break it to ya, but that WAS goaltending...you can't touch any part of the basket when the ball is touching the cylinder, including the net. I can see you're claiming the ball was never touched, which may be true, but there is still goaltending since the ball is in contact with the rim.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

No Matt, it was basket interference. That was Dan's point. Sorry you missed it.
PS
Dan, do you think that Prince moved too far on that throw-in that Stuart Scott also brilliantly proclaimed was travelling in the same highlight sequence? How many rules could he screw-up in one highlight? Oh, he must have learned that watching the NCAA tournament!
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
NEVADA,
I think he was still legal. Close but legal
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Oooooo, Matt got suckered by the announcerspeak. Ouch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Dan, do you think that Prince moved too far on that throw-in that Stuart Scott also brilliantly proclaimed was travelling in the same highlight sequence?
Coach Brown also said in his postgame interview that he travelled with 16 seconds left (referring to the throw-in).

Interestingly, the NBA rulebook says that the inbounder may not leave the designated spot, but it doesn't define the designated spot. In FED and NCAA, we know that it's 3 feet wide and the inbounder is only required to have one foot on or over the 3 foot wide area. The NBA does not have that definition.

However, nowhere in the traveling guidelines does the NBA rulebook mention anything about the throw-in.

Having said all that, I watched the replay very closely. The ball was put in play at the 28' hash mark. The inbounder (Prince?) always had one of his feet right at the hashmark. Did he change the "pivot foot" at the hashmark? Yes. But he never left the spot.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Having said all that, I watched the replay very closely. The ball was put in play at the 28' hash mark. The inbounder (Prince?) always had one of his feet right at the hashmark. Did he change the "pivot foot" at the hashmark? Yes. But he never left the spot.
As a Sixers fan, I hate to agree but I do. He (Prince) stayed within the three-foot spot and I was sure the announcers were going to flip out and call it traveling.

However, I was screaming (twice) for the first-ever call of NBA Rule 10 Section XVI.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 08:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb NBA 2 Night

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
No Matt, it was basket interference. That was Dan's point. Sorry you missed it.
PS
Dan, do you think that Prince moved too far on that throw-in that Stuart Scott also brilliantly proclaimed was travelling in the same highlight sequence? How many rules could he screw-up in one highlight? Oh, he must have learned that watching the NCAA tournament!
I saw the same explaination on NBA 2 Night with Karl Raviech making the exact same claim. I think someone edits the highlights and gives some explaination for what took place. I think the producer or director might play a bigger part in what they actually say on a highlight then we think.

Peace
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Um...no it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt S.
Dan, hate to break it to ya, but that WAS goaltending...you can't touch any part of the basket when the ball is touching the cylinder, including the net. I can see you're claiming the ball was never touched, which may be true, but there is still goaltending since the ball is in contact with the rim.
Goaltending occurs when when a player touches a shot while the ball is in downward flight, entirely above the rim but not in the cylinder, and has a chance to go in.

Touching the net or rim while the ball is touching the rim is basket interference.

That's an important difference that you need to know as an official.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
However, I was screaming (twice) for the first-ever call of NBA Rule 10 Section XVI.
Fat chance. Although I do see them counting it all the time, so they're not just ignoring it. When were you looking for the call? Not on that last possession, right?
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I didn't think Prince moved off the spot on the throw-in.

Am I the only one who saw the ball get touched by a hand through the bottom of the basket on the replay? From what I'm reading here it looks like most folks had it as touching the net/rim. Anyway, in real time I was kinda surprised to see that call but on the replay I saw a hand clearly touch the ball as it was in the basket.

It was a great call.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Fat chance. Although I do see them counting it all the time, so they're not just ignoring it. When were you looking for the call? Not on that last possession, right?
Both on Prince. The first was with just over two minutes left and the Sixers down by four. Prince missed and Okur missed the putback before McKie got the rebound, so no harm done on that one. The second was Prince's bucket that put the Pistons up two before Snow's three gave Philly it's only lead.

Also, if the Sixers had a timeout left, or if Iverson would've made that 70-foot heave, DC's basket interference would've been the smartest play ever. If he doesn't touch it, it still goes in but probably 0.3-0.7 seconds later. He saved them a few ticks by touching that ball. Good heads-up play DC!
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

"Am I the only one who saw the ball get touched by a hand through the bottom of the basket on the replay?"

, this time (remember?) you and I saw the exact same thing.

"I saw a hand clearly touch the ball as it was in the basket."

Yup. DC poped it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I didn't think Prince moved off the spot on the throw-in.

Am I the only one who saw the ball get touched by a hand through the bottom of the basket on the replay? From what I'm reading here it looks like most folks had it as touching the net/rim. Anyway, in real time I was kinda surprised to see that call but on the replay I saw a hand clearly touch the ball as it was in the basket.

It was a great call.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 11:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

At the press conference after the game, Sixers coach Larry Brown said, "You can't travel on an inbound play."

He's right, but for a different reason than he meant.

Ironic, isn't it?
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Am I the only one who saw the ball get touched by a hand through the bottom of the basket on the replay?
Nope, you're not. I have to admit that I didn't see it in real time. I had the sound muted (my wife was sleeping) and I thought that a foul had been called on the drive. But then everybody's signalling "count it" and no FTs. I was a little behind the curve, but on the replay (.9 seconds later) I thought it was pretty clear that he touched the ball.

Quote:
From what I'm reading here it looks like most folks had it as touching the net/rim.
I think the point is that it still would've been BI even if he hadn't touched the ball, right? Touching the net is the same as touching the basket; so if you touch the net while the ball is on or within the basket. . .Tweet!

And yes, it was a great call.

[Edited by ChuckElias on May 15th, 2003 at 12:07 PM]
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The second was Prince's bucket that put the Pistons up two before Snow's three gave Philly it's only lead.
I remember the move, but I honestly don't remember if he seemed to be dribbling for 5 seconds or not. Did he hang onto it for a long time?