The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Getting paid (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86214-getting-paid.html)

bainsey Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 814774)
Almost every school here has you fill out a pay slip and they mail you a check, usually after their school board meets and approves payments. A few pay when you arrive at the school, and a few will mail the check within a week or two.

Same here.

I'm curious to know how many get paid electronically (via RefPay or whatever)? That seems like a much better way to go.

zm1283 Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 814825)
Same here.

I'm curious to know how many get paid electronically (via RefPay or whatever)? That seems like a much better way to go.

The only thing I use RefPay for is one college baseball conference. They pay once a month. The rest of them either pay on the spot or mail a check within a week or so.

In high school basketball, the biggest local district (Five high schools) and the high school that's part of a university are the two quickest to pay. I think they just run it through payroll and don't have to wait on a school board every month.

tref Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 814825)
Same here.

RefPay is alright, I work a JUCO & a couple HS that pay in that fashion. But its generally once a month, so if you work a game early in the month you dont see a payment until the EOM. Then it takes 3 days to touch the money after transfering it from RefPay to your bank account.

Check or cash, on the spot is best!

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:43am

Our school pays in cash and our people love it!

fullor30 Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 814746)
Ouch. IN my day, the Irish handshake, as offered by my grandfather, was a shake of the hand with some of the folding green tucked inside. My grandfather would shake my hand, advise me to "go get a cigar" and when i withdrew my palm would be gladdened with the presence of a fin. Hence the term "Irish handshake" as a means of tendering a few bucks without the world taking notice. He also would have killed me if I had actually bought a cigar.

These urban dictionary definitions are not the work of a soul with a drop of Erie in them.

And there a lot of drops in Lake Erie. As a grandson of a Dubliner right off the boat, it would be fookin' Eire laddy;)

Camron Rust Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:10pm

We're paid approximately monthly on a Wednesday including games through the preceding Saturday.

I much prefer that to getting a check at each game that I have to keep up with. I'd collect them for 3-4 weeks then take them to the bank once a month anyway so having it come in one check in the mail just makes it easier.

BillyMac Thu Jan 19, 2012 06:02pm

Allons Enfants De La Patrie ...

I once got a check on Bastille Day for a game that I worked in December. I had completely forgotten about it. I used it toward the purchase of a new lawnmower.

The_Rookie Thu Jan 19, 2012 06:15pm

Cash and Carry

Cash and Carry..Check at the table..Remember cash makes no enemies:rolleyes:

BktBallRef Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:00pm

The assignor pays us on the 15th and last day of each month.

Adam Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 814831)
RefPay is alright, I work a JUCO & a couple HS that pay in that fashion. But its generally once a month, so if you work a game early in the month you dont see a payment until the EOM. Then it takes 3 days to touch the money after transfering it from RefPay to your bank account.

Check or cash, on the spot is best!

The schools that use refpay for us pay within a week.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:06pm

The problem with RefPay is they are not federally insured like a bank. So if your assignor(s) send money to them, it is not protected, should they go belly up or bankrupt.

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06am

We are paid by each school district (or by the schools for private schools).

Some districts, including the big H, are notoriously slow at cutting checks others have a quick turnaround but the average for me seems to be 30-45 days. The nice part is that since we're paid by the district, we could have several assignments on one check.

Then there is the issue of schools losing our paperwork (or a PO'd coach holding it until the very last day). It took me over a year and several phone calls to get paid for three assignments from one district.

For six man football games I work, some schools pay in cash or check on site. Those are nice but I feel a little funny when we get handed plain envelopes full of money.

BillyMac Fri Jan 20, 2012 07:06am

You Did What With Our Social Security Numbers ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 815052)
Then there is the issue of schools losing our paperwork.

Been there. Done that. I hate it when that happens.

Eastshire Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 815052)
We are paid by each school district (or by the schools for private schools).

Some districts, including the big H, are notoriously slow at cutting checks others have a quick turnaround but the average for me seems to be 30-45 days. The nice part is that since we're paid by the district, we could have several assignments on one check.

Then there is the issue of schools losing our paperwork (or a PO'd coach holding it until the very last day). It took me over a year and several phone calls to get paid for three assignments from one district.

For six man football games I work, some schools pay in cash or check on site. Those are nice but I feel a little funny when we get handed plain envelopes full of money.

Which, of course, goes to the reason why we shouldn't start any game without having first received payment for the match. Coaches should not have a lever to plant the question of "Will I get paid if I make this call" into the minds of the officials.

In the auditing world, an independent audit cannot be done by a CPA firm that you are not current with because it compromises their independence. It's no different in sports.

The youth soccer league here in NW Ohio has a firm rule: any match where the referee crew is not paid in full in cash before the match is to be declared no contest and shall not be played.

JMUplayer Fri Jan 20, 2012 04:42pm

As a general rule this is the easiest that our association follows... we bill the schools at the end of the month and then we usually have our checks from them in two weeks then the checks get mailed to the officials in/around the 20th.
Example... Dec Games you get paid Jan 20th
Jan Games you get paid Feb 20th.