The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2000, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I had this one yesterday. A1 shoots a 3 misses off front rim and bounces hard back, where A2 deflects ball into back count. A2 never had control of the ball. But he did deflect in a manner which made it easiest for him to retrieve. I (trail) did not call Backcourt because once shot went up, no possession (in my mind) was made until A2 picked up ball in backcout. Obviously coach B wanted BACKCOURT. Was I correct???

Also, Is division line part of Frontcourt or Backcourt ?

Thanks again.........
Old Mon Feb 28, 2000, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Good no-call, DrC. Unless he re-established team control in the front court, he did not violate. Also, the division line is considered part of the backcourt. Had a young ref call a violation on my daughter (7th grade level) this weekend when her pivot foot was right on the line and she stepped from front to back court with her other foot. I casually mentioned her foot being on the line, but he was pretty certain that it didn't matter. Understandable mistake for a youth league teenage ref.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 09:42am
PDLeBoutillier

quote:
[b]Had a young ref call a violation on my daughter (7th grade level) this weekend when her pivot foot was right on the line and she stepped from front to back court with her other foot. I casually mentioned her foot being on the line, but he was pretty certain that it didn't matter. Understandable mistake for a youth league teenage ref.

Todd-
So you're saying she was bringing the ball over the mid-court line but kept a foot on the division line and therefore had not fully established frontcourt status? (I'm just trying to understand your post better.)
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, that's it. She was dribbling, then stopped with her pivot foot on the division line (I keep telling her not to give up her dribble so quickly!). She then stepped with her other foot into the front court, then in the back, all the while keeping her pivot foot on the line. As soon as she stepped again into the backcourt with her non-pivot foot, she got the violation. Oh well. She shouldn't have stopped right there, anyway. :-)

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited March 02, 2000).]
Old Sat Mar 04, 2000, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Great call, making the no call. I had this earlier in the year, with no one touching the ball until A1 chased it down. I was the trail on the bench side (of course) and took an earful.
The coach did appreciate me explaining the rule during the next break in action. He
simply "forgot" possession ends on the shot. Your situation was much tougher though.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

DrC,
There is no possession on a throw-in, Jump Ball or a Shot, so with no player gaining control (possession) there was no way to establish front court status (both feet and the ball), therefore no violation. Good No Call!

------------------
Don