The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 01:59pm
I miss being on the floor

Player Control Foul leads to FT's?

I'm reading A Season On The Brink, about the 1985-86 Indiana Hoosiers.

During a recount of a game, the author mentioned that Steve Alford drew a charge, then hit the ensuing free throws.

So, was there a time when player and/or team control fouls led to free throws if the offended team was in the bonus?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I didn't realize that it continued into the '80s, but yes. The rule used to be that a player was awarded one free throw for every foul. On the 7th foul of the half, a player would shoot one free throw and, if successful, would be awarded one more.

This applied to ALL personal fouls, including those committed by the player in control of the ball.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The rule used to be that a player was awarded one free throw for every foul. On the 7th foul of the half, a player would shoot one free throw and, if successful, would be awarded one more.
That explains why the rules about awarded free throws for common fouls are written the way they are.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I didn't realize that it continued into the '80s, but yes. The rule used to be that a player was awarded one free throw for every foul. On the 7th foul of the half, a player would shoot one free throw and, if successful, would be awarded one more.

This applied to ALL personal fouls, including those committed by the player in control of the ball.
That would not have been in the 80's, I don't think.

I'm wondering if by "charge" the author is referring to a situation where the ball handler passed the ball and then ran Alford over? Alford was sneaky that way...
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

I'm wondering if by "charge" the author is referring to a situation where the ball handler passed the ball and then ran Alford over? Alford was sneaky that way...
That would still be a team control foul, and one on which we wouldn't shoot free throws today.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
That would still be a team control foul, and one on which we wouldn't shoot free throws today.
Correct, but they definitely would have shot FTs for that in the 80's.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

Maybe it was an airborne shooter after he released the shot.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 03:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Maybe it was an airborne shooter after he released the shot.
Ahhhhh...that rule changed in the mid 90's I believe, so you may be on to something here!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think PC fouls stopped resulting in FTs sometime in the mid/late 90's.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules allow for shooting on a team control foul if the fouled team is in the bonus, I believe, but fed rules don't allow for any shooting after a team control foul.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdudik View Post
NCAA rules allow for shooting on a team control foul if the fouled team is in the bonus, I believe, but fed rules don't allow for any shooting after a team control foul.
Nope, team control foul means no shots, period. At both levels.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry for providing bad info. I could have sworn NCAA did shoot on offensive fouls, or used to, in any case, but I guess I'm wrong. Shows how much attention I pay to college rules.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdudik View Post
I'm sorry for providing bad info. I could have sworn NCAA did shoot on offensive fouls, or used to, in any case, but I guess I'm wrong. Shows how much attention I pay to college rules.
Under NCAA-M, free throws are awarded if the defense is in the bonus, and an airborne shooter charges into a defender after the ball is released and before he's returned to the floor. In all the other rule sets, you would still have a player control foul or an offensive foul with no points scored (as in the case of the NBA).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Under NCAA-M, free throws are awarded if the defense is in the bonus, and an airborne shooter charges into a defender after the ball is released and before he's returned to the floor. In all the other rule sets, you would still have a player control foul or an offensive foul with no points scored (as in the case of the NBA).
This exact play happened in the Indiana/Minnesota game tonight.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Thank you. That's where I was getting confused. I was thinking to myself, "I *know* I've seen them all trooping down to the other end of the floor to shoot FTs; what am I missing?"