The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I agree, but to take it up a level & not have that conversation with the coach at all, I've started saying it at the spot. "Before white had team control, timeout blue."
No reason to lie here. Just say you screwed up and move on. As mistakes go, this is truly minor.

Lying about it when everyone knows better just makes you look dishonest.

Edit: Didn't mean to imply you recommend lying or do it. Just getting back to the OP. This one isn't one to lose sleep over.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Jan 10, 2012 at 01:11am. Reason: clarity
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Look Before You Leap ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Allowing someone who isn't a player to call for a timeout is a relatively new thing.
And that someone who isn't a player can only be the head coach, not an assistant coach, a team member on the bench, or a fan sitting behind the bench. Hot, single, moms can't request timeouts in basketball, unless they're the head coach. I don't care how hot they are.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 10, 2012 at 07:29am.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

It Is What It Is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdudik View Post
Are you saying?
I'm not saying anything. I'm only quoting the rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 06:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check Your Local Listings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official: Grants a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I get the impression that turning to verify the source of a time out request is a relatively new thing. Were you ever taught to whistle a time out request ASAP, to make sure the whistle sounds before the ball becomes loose?
Here's what we've been taught. This only works for my little corner of Connecticut.

If a player is holding, or dribbling, the ball, and his coach requests a timeout, while in your visible field, or when you're are 100% sure that his coach is the one who is calling, "Timeout", then immediately grant the request for the timeout.

If the coach is not in your visible field, or you are not 100% sure that his coach is the one who is calling, "Timeout", then don't grant the request. Verify who is requesting the timeout, and then once verified, turn back to the coach's player, and if he's not holding, or dribbling, the ball, do not grant the request. If he still is holding, or dribbling, the ball, then go ahead and grant the request.

My interpreter doesn't want us granting timeouts while a defender, after stealing the ball, is driving for an uncontested layup.

Again, this is strictly a local interpretation, based on the wording of the rule, as written.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 10, 2012 at 06:37pm.