The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

7th grade girls game: Between quarters, mother comes onto the floor to complain. We needed to call more time outs because mascara was getting into the girls' eyes.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
AAU game today. First quarter and asst coach yells, while seated, "That's a walk!". I'm new trail on table side. On my way by, I swing closer to the head coach than normal, "coach, I need you to keep control of your bench.". Didn't look at him as I was watching the play. I heard him politely acknowledge me, and never heard another peep from Robin.
+1

This is the best way to deal with it.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 12:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
There was today in our (Junior and me) game today. Early in the second quarter of our girls' 8th grade game, I notice that the PG from the home team has two silver pellets (that is how I would describe them) in her hair. I honesty don't know how we missed them during warmups, but none-the-less, I inform the young lady and her coach that she cannot play with the hard plastic balls in her hair. The girl pleaded that they could not come out because her hair was braided through them. I told her that I could not and would not make her take them out, but she could not play with them in her hair. At that point she bursts into tears. She was replaced but less than a minute later she was back in the game with the plastice pellets out of her hair.

MTD, Sr.
Funny how they can prioritize when they need to.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Frosh boys Saturday. Home player gets warned about attitude. Then, just as they pull to within five, he gets called for a foul and colorfully disagrees. Partner rings him up.

Next game, JV, visiting pg called for travel early in the first and displays just enough emotion (without any words) for me to remind him to just give the ball to a ref next time. He apologizes.

Home fan behind me, "you gave our player a technical."
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:10am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
7th grade girls game: Between quarters, mother comes onto the floor to complain. We needed to call more time outs because mascara was getting into the girls' eyes.
No way. I don't believe this happened. That's hilarious.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:35am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This weekend was the opening of our Fall Rec League.
Your fall rec league opens in January? interesting

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 05:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Your fall rec league opens in January? interesting
I guess technically, practices started in the fall.....my bad.

So, now your Mr. Season guy?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
He gets called for a foul and colorfully disagrees.
What color?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 09:12am
Archaic Power Monger

I had the fun of tossing a fan last night in a tiny middle school gym.

I was working by myself because my partner went over to the 8th grade gym when the second official there was late due to the massive amount of rain we had. A section of fans were getting pretty unruly and I mentioned to administration during a timeout they were getting close to being over the line.

After I make an out of bounds call, I hear them explode again and decide to do a little fishing. I delay the inbound slightly and stand with my back to the endline and slowly scan the crowd waiting for somebody to show their butt. Sure enough one person did, standing up and aggressively posturing. I told the players to go to their bench, went to the table and told them that fan needed to go.

He left protesting the whole way and that section got a lot quieter.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Frosh boys Saturday. Home player gets warned about attitude. Then, just as they pull to within five, he gets called for a foul and colorfully disagrees. Partner rings him up.

Next game, JV, visiting pg called for travel early in the first and displays just enough emotion (without any words) for me to remind him to just give the ball to a ref next time. He apologizes.

Home fan behind me, "you gave our player a technical."
"In our pregame, we decided to screw your team with technicals". Oh, how I want to use that line some day, but it would just get me in trouble.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 02:19pm
Administrator

We all have talked about funny lines we would love to tell a coach but know it would be unprofessional but I do have to tell two stories.

The first one was the last game of the 1983-84 regular season when my wife and I were still living in Glendale, Califorina. It was a boys' H.S. varsity game my partner was a good official who I had worked with a number of times in the last two years (his first name was Mark too, and wasn't Junior because he still wasn't a gleam in my eyes yet, LOL); I was the R in the game.

From the opening tip-off, the V-HC was on my case and the H-HC was on Mark's case. When the first quarter was over I told Mark I was stop this nonsense once and for all. We brought the two HC'es together and told them that it was obvious that the best place for Mark and I to officiate the game was for Mark to sit next to the H-HC and I would sit next to the V-HC for the rest of the game. The HC'es looked at us with stunned faces but never said a word the rest of the game.

The second story was during a boys' H.S. jr. varsity summer league game. The one team had committed 16 fouls to only 4 fouls according to their coach. He demanded to know what he should tell his players. I told him to tell them to stop fouling. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio