The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Another scenario that I am still working my way thru is when there is contact in the lane under the basket where B1 is holding is spot and is vertical and A1 shoots and contact occurs with B1. (Not driving to hoop just underneat

I have called a foul in many cases on B1 but have been told since A1 initiated contact and B1 was holding his spot..no call.
Why would you call a foul on B1? Ask yourself what he did wrong, and remember what the rules allow B1 to do. This should be a no-call, as B1 is perfectly legal and A1 jumping into him doesn't change that.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 07:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is. I also believe in seeing the whole play through, judging advantage/disadvantage.

I'm not a big fan of "right call, wrong time." I'm more to the liking of, "that's the wrong call, BECAUSE of the wrong time." Of course, much of it is subjective.
Speaking of which, did that Gardiner game get much airplay in your preseason meetings?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Another scenario that I am still working my way thru is when there is contact in the lane under the basket where B1 is holding is spot and is vertical and A1 shoots and contact occurs with B1. (Not driving to hoop just underneat

I have called a foul in many cases on B1 but have been told since A1 initiated contact and B1 was holding his spot..no call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why would you call a foul on B1? Ask yourself what he did wrong, and remember what the rules allow B1 to do. This should be a no-call, as B1 is perfectly legal and A1 jumping into him doesn't change that.
I'm not necessarily big on who initiates the contact. If the defender has his arms extended outside his vertical plane, then A1 is legally entitled to that space. If he initiates contact, so what? It's still a foul on B1.

I get kids behind the shooter all the time that "claim" they have verticality, yet the contact the shooter on the arms on the shot. I've yet to figure out how that's possible from behind A1. Foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:20am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Speaking of which, did that Gardiner game get much airplay in your preseason meetings?
Nope, I don't believe it was ever discussed. We watched a fair amount of video in our big Saturday pre-season meeting, but it's a lot easier to watch and critique officials when they're out of state.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Here's an example.

A1 is driving to the basket and has B1 beat but B1 is riding him with a handcheck.

Now, there are those that say a handcheck is a handcheck is a handcheck. But for me, A1 is not being placed at a disadvantage.

Personally, I hold the whistle until A1 has started his habitual motion that begins the shot. If there's still a hand check, NOW I blow the foul. A1 is either going to get the basket and a FT or 2 FTs.
Just a quick point here, it's not some officials who say "a handcheck is a handcheck is a handcheck", its the FED Rules Committee.

I agree with what so many of you say here, referee the defense! But in my opinion I see too many handchecks not called fouls, especially ones where the defender is using the hand or forearm on the hip to ride the driver away from his path to the hole, or slow his progress, Using the handcheck to control the direction of the dribbler is a foul and needs to be called more often.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Just a quick point here, it's not some officials who say "a handcheck is a handcheck is a handcheck", its the FED Rules Committee.
Actually, where I live, it is "some officials." And they make the call whether there's advantage/disadvantage or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith