The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Zero OOB clearance

I was talking with my son (who reffed HS for a few years) about having two girls HS rec games at an elementary school gym later tonight and that the gym has little room on the sidelines. He told me he once worked a boys freshman game (not rec) in a HS "side" gym in which three of the OOB lines actually were the walls and the fourth side had about eight inches of clearance before the bleachers started. That side had the table and the benches and he said they were able to position the table so it's legs weren't sticking out onto the floor, but the players legs were most of the time.

Yikes!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 06:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Several yrs back I did a B15U game in an elementary school gym.

Similar issue as yours - small gym with ridiculous sidelines. Where the benches/table are there is no room to in-bounds the ball. Most spectators have to stand the entire game, because if you sit......your feet and other parts of you may be on the court!

My least favorite part though is there is a really, really low, permanent/non-movable basket on the near sideline by the V bench. At one point I was in transition and called a foul.....as I raised my arm to signal the foul my hand/arm went into the bottom of the net! (I'm only 5'8") And, to top it off, it's a CHAIN NET! Indoors?

The place is a hazard. I wrote my Assignor. A lot of good that did......
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 06:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I was talking with my son (who reffed HS for a few years) about having two girls HS rec games at an elementary school gym later tonight and that the gym has little room on the sidelines. He told me he once worked a boys freshman game (not rec) in a HS "side" gym in which three of the OOB lines actually were the walls and the fourth side had about eight inches of clearance before the bleachers started. That side had the table and the benches and he said they were able to position the table so it's legs weren't sticking out onto the floor, but the players legs were most of the time.

Yikes!
When I played in Junior High (in the early 1980s), our gym had no out of bounds lines. We played the wall out of bounds on all four sides. We had to put our foot against the wall to inbounds and the court was so short that the ball had to come back behind the far FT line for a backcourt violation.