The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

T up a school administrator?

Worked a close BJV last night with a sitch I'd like some advice on.

Small old-school gym where the entrance is underneath a basket and only about 5 feet off the endline. I'm lead, home team has the ball down a couple late in the game. Guard drives the lane and leaves a shot short expecting contact from the defense - there was minimal and I passed on it. Ball goes out of bounds and into the hands of a person in the home school's sweats. I thought he was like an asst principal or something but hadn't met him. He'd been standing there for much of the 2nd half without incident.

Home coach is screaming for a foul, fans are upset of course, I look to the guy with my hands out to get the ball so we can head back the other way. I then turn briefly because the table sounds the horn for a sub and as I look back at this guy, he fires a fastball at my head from about 20 feet away while giving me the stare down.

I get both hands up and deflect the ball down and onto the court where a visiting player grabs it and gives it to me while I thinking "you don't T up a fan, even if they are a school administrator of some sort." Fans are laughing and clapping a bit. I tell the kid "thanks," take a step around him to stare back at the guy and say, " a bounce pass works just fine thank you." And we go on.

Would you have done anything different? As it turns out, the guy was actually the Varsity coach watching some of the JV guys before heading to their main gym for their game (I didn't have the V game) and is known as a hothead.

Didn't want to interrupt our game but if I hadn't gotten my hands up quick, I'd have a bloody face.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Small old-school gym where the entrance is underneath a basket and only about 5 feet off the endline. I'm lead, home team has the ball down a couple late in the game. Guard drives the lane and leaves a shot short expecting contact from the defense - there was minimal and I passed on it. Ball goes out of bounds and into the hands of a person in the home school's sweats. I thought he was like an asst principal or something but hadn't met him. He'd been standing there for much of the 2nd half without incident.

Home coach is screaming for a foul, fans are upset of course, I look to the guy with my hands out to get the ball so we can head back the other way. I then turn briefly because the table sounds the horn for a sub and as I look back at this guy, he fires a fastball at my head from about 20 feet away while giving me the stare down.

I get both hands up and deflect the ball down and onto the court where a visiting player grabs it and gives it to me while I thinking "you don't T up a fan, even if they are a school administrator of some sort." Fans are laughing and clapping a bit. I tell the kid "thanks," take a step around him to stare back at the guy and say, " a bounce pass works just fine thank you." And we go on.

Would you have done anything different? As it turns out, the guy was actually the Varsity coach watching some of the JV guys before heading to their main gym for their game (I didn't have the V game) and is known as a hothead.

Didn't want to interrupt our game but if I hadn't gotten my hands up quick, I'd have a bloody face.
You shouldn't T him but you can throw him from the gym. Not there to see it, but I don't care if he's dressed like the Prince of Egypt. Tell game management the game continues when he's gone if you think it's warranted, otherwise I wouldn't even acknowledge him. The passive "Bounce pass works just fine, thank you" response seems like you got shown up, IMO. I take it you didn't work the V game.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Fritz, based on what you said I thought you handled the situation as best it could be handled.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Correct, I did not work the Varsity contest - now that would have been interesting! Could I have T'd him during the pre-game V coaches meeting for his actions at the JV game then?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, after this character threw a fastball at my dome from 20' away while staring me down, I wouldnt feel comfortable working with him behind me. See ya later, bye!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:05pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Tell game management the game continues when he's gone if you think it's warranted, otherwise I wouldn't even acknowledge him.
There it is.

Rule 2-8-1 allows for a T in circumstances such as this, with discretion. It can be argued that there's enough discretion to warrant a T here. More importantly, though, this guy should be tossed and a report filed. With his name on the record, he'll likely be dealt with by some authority.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Sayonara.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:12pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is.

Rule 2-8-1 allows for a T in circumstances such as this, with discretion. It can be argued that there's enough discretion to warrant a T here. More importantly, though, this guy should be tossed and a report filed. With his name on the record, he'll likely be dealt with by some authority.
If I felt the guy was throwing it intentionally at my head, trying to hurt me, he's going to be removed from the gym for sure. My assignor would also hear about it, and I'd make sure the state knew about it. There's no room for that at any level of athletics.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. He's done. He may not think it's that big of a deal to get tossed from the JV gym, but....

2. I'm filing a report with everyone who cares. If you have an assigner for these games, file it with him. Also, send it to the state.

And doing #2 is not contingent on having done #1. You were sufficiently caught off guard that failing to toss the tool shouldn't prevent you from submitting a report.

I wouldn't hold it against any official who decided to call a T, either. I probably wouldn't, but I wouldn't find fault with one who did.

And the idiot coach is lucky you don't file criminal assault charges.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 02:20pm.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

I would have done 1 of 2 things:

1) Walked up to him and asked him what his f**king problem is

or

2) Had the game stopped while he was removed from the premises.

And I would have accepted any consequences my supervisor/assignor had for me.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I would have tossed him... if you find out it was the Varsity coach (or any other varsity staff member) he should be disallowed from participating in the Varisty event that evening. You would need to check with your association's rules.

I would definitely fill out a game report and contact your assignor or league office. This is bush league for a coach to do that.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I would have tossed him... if you find out it was the Varsity coach (or any other varsity staff member) he should be disallowed from participating in the Varisty event that evening. You would need to check with your association's rules.

I would definitely fill out a game report and contact your assignor or league office. This is bush league for a coach to do that.
I would leave that up to the state. Whether he misses this game or the next, I don't care.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'd file a report with the state and my chapter, even now. At the time, toss him and I'd have no heartburn over T'ing up the team either.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:43pm
Huck Finn

If this happened to me, all basketball activity would have came to a grinding halt. I'm not sure what others mean by having him thrown out, but I would have got school police to deal with the situation. I would have asked what they were going to do and insisted on treating him like any other knucklehead - remove him from the premises. If the school police didn't want to remove him I would ask them what they would do it a normal fan did the same thing.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You might have considered walking over to the other gym and telling the refs there what happened.