The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Was watching an AAU game with a NFHS ref officiating
2 free throws- the first is made- the official bounces the ball to the player just as the coaches attempts to substitutes- the official properly does not allow the substitution- the free throw is made (We now have a dead ball). The official still would not allow the player to enter the game telling the coach the player needed to be at the scorers table before he bounced the player the ball- I think he was wrong. He knew the player was there and there was a dead ball. Am I correct or not?
Stewcall
CVBOA
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 05:52pm
In Memoriam

The substitution should have been allowed.As per NFHS R3-3-1c,substitution is allowed after the final FT attempt is converted.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 8th, 2003 at 05:55 PM]
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

JR is, of course, correct. However, my personal feeling is that this substitution breaks the flow of the game and gives a team which presses fullcourt an advantage because they have extra time to setup their press. I wish they would change the rule and not allow this substitution. Perhaps they should make it that only the shooter may be replaced and no one else.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
stew,

Perhaps your brother official was under the impression that he was officiating an NBA game. No sub after the last FT, even if made. (Rule 3 - Section V a)
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
stew,

Perhaps your brother official was under the impression that he was officiating an NBA game. No sub after the last FT, even if made. (Rule 3 - Section V a)
my brother seemed more interested in keeping the game moving (his 4th AAU game) or making a point to the coach to get his players to the table in a timely manner. I know serveral times he corrected the other official on the floor for letting players come in after a made free throw. I'd be duly impressed in the 14U girls AAU game had an NBA REF.

Stew
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
JR is, of course, correct. However, my personal feeling is that this substitution breaks the flow of the game and gives a team which presses fullcourt an advantage because they have extra time to setup their press. I wish they would change the rule and not allow this substitution. Perhaps they should make it that only the shooter may be replaced and no one else.
You are correct. My wife uses this tactic everytime she plays a certain team. It DOES slow down the game, which is what she is looking for. It does not allow them to fast break after a made FT and gives her girls a chance to set up the press breaker w/out "panic". Not to mention a few extra seconds to give instructions to the other girls on the floor. (Not only a flat our hottie, but a pretty smart coach my wife!) It has been somewhat successful. She beat the team (Ranked #3) which never happened before and has cut their average margin of victory from 40 to under 10 when playing them. Not bad considering she has 1000 students to chose from and they have 2200
Ok, enough bragging on my wife!
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Ok, enough bragging on my wife!
No such thing as enough bragging on a wife. As long as it's the husband that's bragging...
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

It seems that the NBA is fully aware of this tactic and has the correct rule in place to handle it.