The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:45am
I miss being on the floor

T or No?

Team A is down by 6 with less than a minute to play. A1 hits a long jumper in transition. Her left foot is on the three point line when she shoots. As soon as the ball goes in, Coach A calls timeout.

I make sure the table knows it was a two point shot. The Coach hears me telling the table this, and asks, was that a three? I say no coach, her foot was on the line. He then yells across to what I'm assuming was his team's fans. "Was that a three?", as if he didn't believe me.

Would you T the coach for "showing you up"?

For the record, he'd been whining about foul counts and over the back all night. I'd had enough of his BS. I held off on the T, thinking it was borderline at best. Would you hit him with the T in that situation?
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Nope, I would not. I don't care about coaches saying things like "3 seconds" "over the back" "Insert incorrect rule assumption here".
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

That is not something I would address at that point of the game....T or otherwise.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 07:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Nope, not from me either.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
For the record, he'd been whining about foul counts and over the back all night. I'd had enough of his BS. I held off on the T, thinking it was borderline at best. Would you hit him with the T in that situation?
Even though your ABS Meter appears to be going off, I think it was good to pass here too.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team A is down by 6 with less than a minute to play. A1 hits a long jumper in transition. Her left foot is on the three point line when she shoots. As soon as the ball goes in, Coach A calls timeout.

I make sure the table knows it was a two point shot. The Coach hears me telling the table this, and asks, was that a three? I say no coach, her foot was on the line. He then yells across to what I'm assuming was his team's fans. "Was that a three?", as if he didn't believe me.

Not for that; but most likely I would have whacked him sometime back in the first half. When we say a coach has been "whining all night" then it's our fault for not taking care of it earlier don't you think?
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 08:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Nope.

Good point by grunewar - ignore your ABS meter as justification to call the T. Does the fact that he was "whining all night" mean that you could have dealt with the BS earlier?
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Not for that; but most likely I would have whacked him sometime back in the first half. When we say a coach has been "whining all night" then it's our fault for not taking care of it earlier don't you think?
No.

It just means that the coach has not yet put enough straws on the camel's back.

If you whacked this coach in the first half, you'd post "the coach complained about 3 seconds so I whacked him; he had been complaining the entire first quarter" and someone here would say, "you should have whacked him in hte first quarter." etc.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

My point being, if the coach had been dealt with earlier, then his 3 point "antic" near the end of the game probably never would have happened. But if we choose to allow the whining to go on all game to the point that "we've had enough of his BS" then we've left the door open for this kind of nonsense.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with the idea that if you've allowed it to continue to this point, calling a T here is probably not the best option.

OTOH, if he had been a peach all game, started whining with 2 minutes in the 4th (not uncommon), and you had already warned him immediately prior to this scenario, it might be warranted.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:58pm
Administrator

Stiffler:

I do not care if he had or had not been whinning all game long (and if he had you probably should have taken business by now already) but:

WHACK!!

He did this to show you up.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

I would not whack him but I would have some words with him in a one-way conversation and I would not have minced any words with him.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

At first I thought this was the little game on the "Highly Questionable Show" called "Si or no."

My bad.

Honestly this is a HTBT situation. I can imagine this going on with not a lot of loudness and I can imagine the coach going off. For me it would depend on how loud the coach was and what had they done previously. If it was not a T, then it certainly would be something I would probably address before or after that timeout was over. Experience is what will tell you how bad this situation is and how it should be addressed. And honestly only you will know what a line is crossed, because your line is not everyone else's line.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 05:10pm
Back from the DL

I'm with JRut. Only from being there can you understand the context as to whether the question was indeed inciting the crowd.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Was that a three?"
Well...what was the reply?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 12:18am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Well...what was the reply?
From me?

"No coach, her foot was on the line"

From the crowd?

Someone said something, but I couldn't make it out.