The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Have any of you ever called... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84996-have-any-you-ever-called.html)

bainsey Fri Dec 23, 2011 03:31pm

Have any of you ever called...

...a five-second throw-in violation, when you weren't administering?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2ZZKKAcMV0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2ZZKKAcMV0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

fiasco Fri Dec 23, 2011 03:45pm

If I'm not mistaken, one of our esteemed forum members is the officials who gets completely hung out to dry in this video ...

Freddy Fri Dec 23, 2011 03:47pm

No, I Haven't

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 807894)

Was the guy in the frontcourt keeping his own count or something?

Could see the guy administering the OOB counting. Did his partner think his count was too slow?

Raymond Fri Dec 23, 2011 03:49pm

Where's the video from the locker room afterwards....LOL

The non-administering official seemed to be saying the the administering official should have started his count right away after the made basket.

Definitely not a good look for the crew. The new trail was on top of the play and Black did not delay in getting the ball at their disposal.

Rich, are you on a first name basis with these officials?

JRutledge Fri Dec 23, 2011 03:52pm

I am sure that locker room was very interesting after the game. :)

Peace

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 23, 2011 03:53pm

That Guy is everywhere.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:18pm

If I was the administering official there is no way in hell that I would allow that bozo's call to stand. I would have told him to get his fat tuchus over to the bench's and explain that he screwed the pooch (as we baseball umpires say) and I don't care if he was the R. I would have never allowed any team but the blue team have the ball for throw-in. As one can see, to say I would have been :mad:, would have been an understatement.

MTD, Sr.

grunewar Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:21pm

WoW!

"7-8% advantage to the home team"......remember that!

Hung out to dry!

Camron Rust Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:21pm

My GUESS is that since he had time restored on the clock he used the game clock to determine 5 seconds had elapsed. Not sure when he thought the 5 seconds should have started but it appears he started when the ball hit the floor after the made basekt.

That is what I think he did.....but none of that makes it right.

grunewar Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 807913)
My GUESS is that since he had time restored on the clock he used the game clock to determine 5 seconds had elapsed. Not sure when he thought the 5 seconds should have started but it appears he started when the ball hit the floor after the made basket.

That's what I think he seems to be indicating with his hand gestures. But, wow, that's horrible.

rockyroad Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:50pm

Looks like the younger guy did his best to try to straighten the bozo out, but the bozo just got more forceful with his hand gestures. Not much the younger guy could do right then and there on the court. Hopefully that video has been turned in to their assignor...

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 807913)
My GUESS is that since he had time restored on the clock he used the game clock to determine 5 seconds had elapsed. Not sure when he thought the 5 seconds should have started but it appears he started when the ball hit the floor after the made basekt.

Except that the commentator said 7 seconds were left and he had it reset to 3 seconds. Someone would have made my block list immediately after the game.

Adam Fri Dec 23, 2011 05:11pm

Would have been a long and silent ride home.

just another ref Fri Dec 23, 2011 05:21pm

After seeing this I don't feel quite as bad about last week when my partner called a foul from lead on a shooting foul on a 3 pointer at the top of the key.

Rich Fri Dec 23, 2011 06:10pm

Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Loudwhistle2 Fri Dec 23, 2011 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 807920)
Would have been a long and silent ride home.

Especially since they would be riding on the bus or in a taxi!

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 23, 2011 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 807937)
Especially since they would be riding on the bus or in a taxi!

One of them was under the bus.

gdudik Fri Dec 23, 2011 07:56pm

to say I would be pissed is an understatement. That is unbelievable.

fullor30 Fri Dec 23, 2011 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 807930)
Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

tomegun Fri Dec 23, 2011 08:19pm

I thought they were going to start fighting right there on the court. That is horrible.

deecee Fri Dec 23, 2011 08:37pm

At least there is video evidence if EVER to pull an official off a varsity list. This is not just a minor screw up but a pretty big one IMO.

BillyMac Fri Dec 23, 2011 08:54pm

Stay In Your Primary ???

Gee? Do you think he was reaching out of his primary?

zm1283 Fri Dec 23, 2011 09:04pm

OH. MY. GOD.

I am pretty nice even when partners screw up, but there might have been a fight in the locker room after this if I were the Trail. What a bozo.

Bad Zebra Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:02pm

That old war horse would have left the locker room with a new a** h*** when I was though with him. Absolutely NO EXCUSE for hanging your partner out like that. That's definitely That Guy. New addition to the scratch list.

cmhjordan23 Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:42pm

All I can say is WOW!

ga314ref Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43pm

It looks pretty bad...

...and no one can defend the Ts actions, but the lead has about as slow a 5-second count as I've seen (but by my count, it still wasn't a 5-second violation). Also, if there are eight seconds left in a game at the beginning of the throw-in and the buzzer goes off while the administrating official is still counting (although that didn't happen here), that doesn't look so good either. It looks to me like someone was trying to get a point across, and didn't give a rip if they did it on a TV broadcast. That certainly must have been an interesting post-game meeting.

Adam Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga314ref (Post 807967)
...and no one can defend the Ts actions, but the lead has about as slow a 5-second count as I've seen (but by my count, it still wasn't a 5-second violation). Also, if there are eight seconds left in a game at the beginning of the throw-in and the buzzer goes off while the administrating official is still counting (although that didn't happen here), that doesn't look so good either. It looks to me like someone was trying to get a point across, and didn't give a rip if they did it on a TV broadcast. That certainly must have been an interesting post-game meeting.

Based on what? One freaking arm swing?

Watching the video, I barely got to three when she released the pass.

zm1283 Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga314ref (Post 807967)

Do you mean the Lead's actions?

BktBallRef Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:38am

Somebody would have had to pull me off him.

zm1283 Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 807977)
Somebody would have had to pull me off him.

Me too. This pisses me off the more I watch it. I would have told him on the court that I'm reporting him to the assignor, and I would have called the assignor the minute we got in the car.

rockyroad Sat Dec 24, 2011 01:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 807979)
Me too. This pisses me off the more I watch it. I would have told him on the court that I'm reporting him to the assignor, and I would have called the assignor the minute we got in the car.

Why wait? I would have called the assignor from the locker room with the bozo sitting right there listening.

ref2coach Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:00am

If you look at the timer at the bottom of the video stop it when the ball hits the floor, 26 seconds, when the player has the ball in Her hands, 28 seconds, when She releases the ball, 31 seconds.

So in "His" understanding of the rule it was exactly 5 seconds when He blew his whistle. He just had to step in and "get" that game critical call, He appears to be the "vet" after all. Boy oh Boy isn't he a great partner.

Unfortunately if it works there the way it does around here, He is probably great friends with the assignor and the "in crowd" and the only thing He will have to do is accept a little razzing and buy a round or two when they all get to the after game meeting site. :rolleyes:

AKOFL Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:00am

I guess we know where the term being homered comes from. Embarrasing. we have a hard enough time when we do things right. :p

Welpe Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 807903)
Rich, are you on a first name basis with these officials?

Interesting answer to that question...with at least one of them I suppose.

APG Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 807897)
If I'm not mistaken, one of our esteemed forum members is the officials who gets completely hung out to dry in this video ...

You're right, someone owned up to being the official overruled in this video.

deecee Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 807990)
You're right, someone owned up to being the official overruled in this video.

who?

APG Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 807991)
who?

I'm trying to search for the thread, but I know for a fact we've discussed this video before and we had someone own up to the fact that they were the one overruled in the video.

Freddy Sat Dec 24, 2011 08:31am

Ecce Homo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 807989)
Interesting answer to that question...with at least one of them I suppose.

So which one of them are you? :D

Freddy Sat Dec 24, 2011 08:42am

Thinking Outside the Box (I hate cliches...)

Disregard post I just tried to delete on whether there was something else going on here. After listening to it with sound, I heard him verbalize "Five Seconds", though nowhere in the clip did I see any five fingers signifying it. I thought, without sound, that he might have had something else. Don't know what all the pointing downward was about.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 24, 2011 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808020)
Could it be that we have all been led into a test situation, that something completely different went on here, that we've all been duped, that . . . perhaps the trail saw, for instance, an elbowing violation by the offensive team prior to the throw in and needed to have the clock reset based on definitive knowledge at the time of his whistle in a loud gym?
Nowhere do I see any indication of the standard "five fingers" displayed by the alleged bad-guy lead anywhere throughout this clip. Not sure why he's pointing downward so often, unless he's fishing in the trail's pond with a mistaken spot throw in violation.
Am I off base here? Or could this be a test situation on a completely different scenerio of what we cannot see?

Could be any of that, but it isn't.

The game happened a couple of years ago. It was discussed here (not that it can't be discussed again), and it is what it seems. The general comments then were the same as they are now -- it's not the one official's call, and he called it too early (before 5).

Welpe Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808018)
So which one of them are you? :D

I was in Texas at the time so it wasn't me. We know the new trail though and I think he handled it as best as he could.

zm1283 Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:26am

Anyone know the title to the old thread or have a link to it?

bob jenkins Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 808041)
Anyone know the title to the old thread or have a link to it?

99% certain it was deleted.

fiasco Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 808043)
99% certain it was deleted.

Oh that's right, it was deleted, by the originator of the thread. I remember now.

Welpe Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 808042)
I dunno but I have to say it's kinda weird how obtuse people are being about this.

Relax, I'm just having fun with it.

fiasco Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 808047)
Relax, I'm just having fun with it.

Who says I'm not relaxed? It's Christmas Eve, I'm hanging out in the kitchen making goodies and eating chips and salsa. It's a good day.

Still kinda weird.

letemplay Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:30pm

I've found him!!

That guy's next call will be the multiple foul...I'm just sure of it now...If only I could know where his next assignment is...hope it's a tv game:D

BillyMac Sat Dec 24, 2011 01:01pm

Visible Counts For Everything But Three Seconds ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 808021)
it's not the official's call, and he called it too early ...

... and, although we don't know for sure, he probably didn't have a visible count.

Welpe Sat Dec 24, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 808049)
Who says I'm not relaxed? It's Christmas Eve, I'm hanging out in the kitchen making goodies and eating chips and salsa. It's a good day.

Still kinda weird.

Maybe I'm just projecting...my in laws are here. Nothing says Christmas like getting the family that can't stand each other together!

Freddy Sat Dec 24, 2011 01:31pm

. . . For the Rest of Us

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 808069)
Maybe I'm just projecting...my in laws are here. Nothing says Christmas like getting the family that can't stand each other together!

You should switch to celebrating Festivus instead. At least the grievances would be out in the open. :D

Welpe Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808071)
You should switch to celebrating Festivus instead. At least the grievances would be out in the open. :D

That doesn't require a holiday with my family. :D

Adam Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 808088)
That doesn't require a holiday with my family. :D

Yeah, but at least with a holiday you get food.

Rich Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 807894)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2ZZKKAcMV0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2ZZKKAcMV0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

It's been a busy couple of days as far as Christmas preparations and the like go, so I've mostly been following this thread on the phone while out and about. My single post thus far was while sitting at the Wisconsin / Mississippi Valley State game yesterday afternoon. I'll try to summarize my thoughts with some quick bulletpoints:

-- Yes, I was the "new trail."

-- Yes, I had a bus driven over me then had it stop, reverse, and back over me again.

-- garef314: My count in neither throw-in was *slow*. I timed the first throw-in (the one after the timeout) with a stopwatch and it's 3.5 seconds from handing her the ball until she released the throw-in. If you watch the video again, I'm between 3 and 4 on my count when the ball was released. Exactly how is that slow?

-- I was hyper-aware of the situation and remained so during the entire play until I got hit by the bus. The ball went through the basket with 8 seconds remaining in the game. But as we all know the five second count doesn't begin until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in. I was aware that the new offense might try to delay here, but I'm not going to change how I administer the count just because the home team had used up all their timeouts and because there were only 8 seconds left in the game. I started counting at the exact same place I would've at any other point in the game.

-- I started the count when the clock was between 5 and 6 seconds left in the game. Yes, I had an eye on the ball and thrower-in and another on the clock. I would've had a violation, likely, with less than a second left in the game had it gotten that far. The bus arrived before that.

-- tomegun: I was angry, angrier than I've ever been on a court before or since. And yet, watching the video, I feel I'm about as composed as I could've possibly been, given the circumstances. I used to gesture with my hands and arms when talking, but I've really worked on not doing that and I'm happy that my hands, for the most part, stay by my sides.

-- I moved to a new town in 2008 and this game was in December of 2009 -- I drove separately. After the game, I went in the locker room, changed clothes quickly without showering, and left without saying a word. I was as close to the edge as I've ever been before or since.

-- My partner was not the senior official. Yes, he's older by about 8-10 years, but I was 40 at the time in my 23rd season of working high school basketball and at least 18 years since I started regularly working varsity games. Who the R was is irrelevant, really -- we always take turns with the duties and we decide at the school who the R will be on a given night.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I could've handled that situation better. I've spent a lot of time thinking about that situation when I'm the senior guy working with a relatively new person. Even though I didn't fit that description, I never want to be someone who steps on a partner like this for *any* reason.

The aftermath is that the winning coach (the home team did not hit their last shot) was more appalled at our disagreement than the call (which, knowing the typical rural girls' coach -- he had no clue that the new lead couldn't make this call). He contacted the commissioner himself and the commissioner called me a few days later. I explained to the commissioner exactly what had happened and he, too, was more concerned about the appearance of us disagreeing on the court than with what that official did, although he knew enough that he couldn't believe that the lead would make such a call. I still work for that assignor -- but only 1-2 dates a year (my choice -- he only has one school less than an hour from my house).

I deleted the original thread because one poster decided to come onto the thread and use it as an excuse to blast me, for whatever reason. BTW, I never said this was a terribly well-officiated game. It was a sloppy, foul-ridden game with the score in the low 30s. I think it's hard for any crew to look good in a game like this.

I really don't want to relive this over and over every couple of seasons, but if anyone has any questions, go ahead. Or PM me. I refuse to deal with personalities. On the other hand, film don't lie.

just another ref Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:59pm

Was this typical for this guy? Did he make other calls across the court in front of you?

JRutledge Sat Dec 24, 2011 04:21pm

Rich,

You had every right to be ticked off. I think you handled it better than most would have.

Peace

fiasco Sat Dec 24, 2011 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 808106)
Rich,

You had every right to be ticked off. I think you handled it better than most would have.

Amen to that. The self control you demonstrated in a situation when I would be tempted to physically remove my partner's head from his shoulders is amazing.

And it sucks, Rich, that you got dumped on the first time you tried to talk about this situation, and again this time.

That's one of the things I really don't like about this board sometimes (and I do it too...I'm trying to improve), is the unintentional game of "gotcha" that we all get into from time to time, trying to find something relatively unrelated to nitpick (oh, your count was slow....which it wasn't) while ignoring the larger message (you got rolled over by a Mac truck...what can we all learn from this situation) in an effort to make ourselves look better, smarter or more experienced. I wish we all did a little less of it, or at least approached it in a much less condescending way.

fiasco Sat Dec 24, 2011 04:55pm

:rolleyes:

JRutledge Sat Dec 24, 2011 04:59pm

Exactly. ;)

Peace

Adam Sat Dec 24, 2011 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 808118)
Well this was posted all over a couple of other places, so do not feel bad. When it is on YouTube, it is out of your control. But it is a learning experience for sure for all of us. I like tapes like this as it gets to show how a game ending situation can get us in trouble. Rich did nothing wrong here and as far as I am concerned he handled himself well considering everything that took place. The other officials was just dead wrong and I would really like an explanation why he felt this was his duty to make this call in the first place. This is about as rookie a rookie mistake can be.

Peace

A big part of me wishes I could read an explanation from the calling official on that play.

JRutledge Sat Dec 24, 2011 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808129)
A big part of me wishes I could read an explanation from the calling official on that play.

It would have to be from bizzaro world. Three is in no rule, mechanic or standard that makes him call and even weirder for it to take place at this time of the game. I just do not understand this at all.

Peace

Adam Sat Dec 24, 2011 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 808130)
It would have to be from bizzaro world. Three is in no rule, mechanic or standard that makes him call and even weirder for it to take place at this time of the game. I just do not understand this at all.

Peace

Me neither, and any explanation would likely be an elaborate version of, "I had a brain fart." But as adamant as he seemed, I have to imagine he was pretty sure of himself and felt he had a good reason for it. Reading it would be a sort of anthropological exercise.

Rich Sat Dec 24, 2011 08:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808131)
Me neither, and any explanation would likely be an elaborate version of, "I had a brain fart." But as adamant as he seemed, I have to imagine he was pretty sure of himself and felt he had a good reason for it. Reading it would be a sort of anthropological exercise.

Let's just say he felt justified that night and a while later. No idea if he would still feel that way.

The worst part was that I had to go administer that designated spot throw-in to the home team that was down 1 with the added seconds put back on the clock. The last-second shot attempt (more of a heave) from my corner had some contact and I did not call a foul, but I was waiting for a call to come from the trail position.

Good times, good times.

Bad Zebra Sun Dec 25, 2011 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808141)
Let's just say he felt justified that night and a while later. No idea if he would still feel that way.

The worst part was that I had to go administer that designated spot throw-in to the home team that was down 1 with the added seconds put back on the clock. The last-second shot attempt (more of a heave) from my corner had some contact and I did not call a foul, but I was waiting for a call to come from the trail position.

Good times, good times.

Hats off to you for being able to keep your composure at all and finish. I think I would have been blind with rage.

Adam Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:58am

Be late. Nope.
Be right. Nope.
Be needed. Nope.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 25, 2011 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808141)

Even after having it explained to him that he misapplied the rule? :confused:

Rich Sun Dec 25, 2011 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 808189)
Even after having it explained to him that he misapplied the rule? :confused:

Yes. He thought I waited too long to start the count and "we're not having the game end that way." It's not even the rule mistake that bothers me -- I can deal with rule mistakes. It's the idea that an official *ever* has the notion to make a 5-second call on a throw-in *he's not administering* that I'll never understand.

JRutledge Sun Dec 25, 2011 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808192)
Yes. He thought I waited too long to start the count and "we're not having the game end that way." It's not even the rule mistake that bothers me -- I can deal with rule mistakes. It's the idea that an official *ever* has the notion to make a 5-second call on a throw-in *he's not administering* that I'll never understand.

He simply panicked. The game was probably too big for him because if it was not, he would not have been worried about what you were doing in that situation. That is why some guys never get to a certain level because they cannot handle the stress of the game in these kinds of situations. I think all the other justification is a way for him not to admit he was not ready and might never be. Why else would he justify his actions well after the fact?

Peace

Adam Sun Dec 25, 2011 02:10pm

He's the "get it right at all costs" guy who mocks officials who try to stay in their area. He probably had spent the entire game getting frustrated with Rich's count, or he wouldn't even have had a count here.

JRutledge Sun Dec 25, 2011 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808197)
He's the "get it right at all costs" guy who mocks officials who try to stay in their area. He probably had spent the entire game getting frustrated with Rich's count, or he wouldn't even have had a count here.

I could not agree anymore with this post. :)

Peace

zm1283 Sun Dec 25, 2011 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808197)

Yep.

Quote:

Having the game end what way? By letting the administering official count like he is supposed to? By letting a team have five seconds to throw the ball in after the ball is at their disposal? He didn't like it that the clock was running and the team that was winning apparently (In his mind) took too long to gather the ball for the throw-in? This guy would be on my scratch list within minutes of the game being over.

refiator Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:12pm

May be the most despicable thing I have ever seen. That could easily be a career-ender.
I one had a partner over rule an out-of-bounds call without coming to me to let me change my own call based on his observations...That was bad enough.:mad:

bainsey Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:53am

Quote:

"we're not having the game end that way."

:confused::eek:

So... that wouldn't be a cool thing to do in the first half, but perfectly acceptable at the end of a game?

I hate that way of thinking.

mj Mon Dec 26, 2011 08:46am

This ticked me off when it was posted the first time way back in the day. I think it grinds me even more today. I just cannot fathom anyone doing this.

I know you said you were quiet and out of the locker room in a hurry. Did he say anything?

Rich Mon Dec 26, 2011 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 808291)
This ticked me off when it was posted the first time way back in the day. I think it grinds me even more today. I just cannot fathom anyone doing this.

I know you said you were quiet and out of the locker room in a hurry. Did he say anything?

He went into the shower and I took the opportunity to quickly dress and walk out.

JRutledge Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808296)
He went into the shower and I took the opportunity to quickly dress and walk out.

I am sure that was telling to him even if he was not aware of how bad his call was.

Peace

rockyroad Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808296)

That's too bad, Rich. Sorry that a fellow official had to deal with something/someone like this...hopefully you shook the dust off your shoes and (other than it popping up on the forum every now and then) moved on without ever looking back.

It's hard to do, but that guy is really not worth your time or effort.

deecee Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 808302)
That's too bad, Rich. Sorry that a fellow official had to deal with something/someone like this...hopefully you shook the dust off your shoes and (other than it popping up on the forum every now and then) moved on without ever looking back.

It's hard to do, but that guy is really not worth your time or effort.

If I were in Rich's shoes I would love everytime this video pops up. It doesn't show how he messed up but instead shows how he handled a bad situation.

This video does nothing but shine Rich in a good light. yes, the situation sucks. But it does NOT reflect at all on Rich.

DRJ1960 Mon Dec 26, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 808319)
If I were in Rich's shoes I would love everytime this video pops up. It doesn't show how he messed up but instead shows how he handled a bad situation.

This video does nothing but shine Rich in a good light. yes, the situation sucks. But it does NOT reflect at all on Rich.

Absolutely!

Just for fun... what if "that guy" had done the same thing but been correct on the rule etc?

deecee Mon Dec 26, 2011 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 808323)
Absolutely!

Just for fun... what if "that guy" had done the same thing but been correct on the rule etc?

then what's wrong with having humility and saying yup, I screwed up.

just another ref Mon Dec 26, 2011 01:53pm

I can't see ever blowing five seconds from there. About fifteen seconds later you might want to call a timeout, because you would assume your partner was in a coma or something.

Adam Mon Dec 26, 2011 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 808328)
I can't see ever blowing five seconds from there. About fifteen seconds later you might want to call a timeout, because you would assume your partner was in a coma or something.

Agreed. In this game, shot made with 8 seconds left, I'm letting the horn wake him up.

BillyMac Mon Dec 26, 2011 02:45pm

Don't Walk Toward The Light ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808331)
I'm letting the horn wake him up.

Either that, or an automated external defibrillator.

deecee Mon Dec 26, 2011 02:46pm

The only time i had a count out of my primary was in a summer girls tournament with backcourt 10 seconds count. My partner seemed to have a brain fart and by the time I came in and made the 10 second call it probably was about 13-14 seconds. My cue that he didnt have a count, was when i didnt see his visible count, so i picked it up. It was in a crucial part of the game as well.

rockyroad Mon Dec 26, 2011 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 808319)

Hmmmmmm...don't think I said anything about it reflecting on Rich or that Rich messed anything up. Simply commiserating with a fellow official who got crapped on by his partner

JRutledge Mon Dec 26, 2011 05:57pm

Quote:

This is not a rule issue, this at best would be a mechanics and judgment issue. The new lead should not be making judgments on when the ball is at the disposal of a player after a made basket. He better be looking at players coming up the court and paying more attention to that. Then he is totally wrong to even be counting during that situation mechanically. So he is wrong in both ways. I would not want to be "that guy" in the video at all.

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Dec 26, 2011 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 808365)
This is not a rule issue, this at best would be a mechanics and judgment issue. The new lead should not be making judgments on when the ball is at the disposal of a player after a made basket. He better be looking at players coming up the court and paying more attention to that. Then he is totally wrong to even be counting during that situation mechanically. So he is wrong in both ways. I would not want to be "that guy" in the video at all.

Peace

Still, the question remains, what IF he was right? What if the clock was on 8 (or even 9 or 10 or even more) when the thrower clearly had the ball OOB and was attempting to make the throwin but it ran to 2, 1 or 0? At what point will you blow the whistle to get it right? Are you going to let the thrower have 8-10 seconds? Or will you, at some point, make a crew call?

bob jenkins Mon Dec 26, 2011 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 808413)
Still, the question remains, what IF he was right? What if the clock was on 8 (or even 9 or 10 or even more) when the thrower clearly had the ball OOB and was attempting to make the throwin but it ran to 2, 1 or 0? At what point will you blow the whistle to get it right? Are you going to let the thrower have 8-10 seconds? Or will you, at some point, make a crew call?

IF I make a "crew call", then I blow the whistle, get together and explain what I have and the crew makes the call.

JRutledge Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:26pm

Quote:

How can you be right by doing that? First of all the rules state that the official's signal is what is the judge. Granted our count should be close, but you have just undermined the entire crew by doing this. You cannot be right in a situation like this. This is not like calling in someone's primary, it is literally taking their call from them in every way. It would be like the lead calling a violation on the FT shooter. Or the Lead calling a backcourt violation on a player touching the division line. At best he was guessing as he has no idea when the official judged the ball being at disposal.

Peace

BktBallRef Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:36pm

Quote:

Why would new L be watching and counting the 5 second count? Who's watching the other 9 players while this is going on?

That being said, there's some situations where you have to leave and die with what your partner calls or doesn't call.

bainsey Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:37pm

Quote:

What if the clock was on 8 (or even 9 or 10 or even more) when the thrower clearly had the ball OOB and was attempting to make the throwin but it ran to 2, 1 or 0? At what point will you blow the whistle to get it right?

You just don't.

You can stand, look puzzled, and wonder to yourself, isn't that five? You can even question him after the game about it. However, you trust your partner to make that call. It's his end line, his call.

It's nearly impossible to get straightlined on a five-second throw-in violation, so you're not helping anyone by looking past the end line.

just another ref Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:46pm

I understand Camron's question. A scores with 15 seconds left. As new lead, you see B1 immediately take the ball out of the net and step out. You start a count in your head, as one should at this point, for the sake of backing up the game clock. Your count reaches 11, and you look to see B1 still standing out of bounds with the ball, flanked by the new trail, standing passively with hands at his side. Do you blow the whistle at all, or do you let the clock expire, thinking "Boy, die he screw up!"

JRutledge Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 808446)
I understand Camron's question. A scores with 15 seconds left. As new trail, you see B1 immediately take the ball out of the net and step out. You start a count in your head, as one should at this point, for the sake of backing up the game clock. Your count reaches 11, and you look to see B1 still standing out of bounds with the ball, flanked by the new trail, standing passively with hands at his side. Do you blow the whistle at all, or do you let the clock expire, thinking "Boy, die he screw up!"

Do you call travels all over the court when you do not have ball coverage responsibility at all too? What about ruling a player left their designated spot your partner has too? There are a lot of situations we could "think" our partner did not get it right. If one person can do that job, then we do not need 2 or 3 official on the game, just one would be sufficient.

Peace

just another ref Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 808451)
Do you call travels all over the court when you do not have ball coverage responsibility at all too? What about ruling a player left their designated spot your partner has too? There are a lot of situations we could "think" our partner did not get it right. If one person can do that job, then we do not need 2 or 3 official on the game, just one would be sufficient.

Peace

No, but I would not be surprised to learn that the guy in the video does. The question at hand is what to do if you find yourself in a game deciding situation with the polar opposite of this guy. How much, if any, does one expand one's normal responsibilities?

Camron Rust Tue Dec 27, 2011 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 808440)
How can you be right by doing that? First of all the rules state that the official's signal is what is the judge. Granted our count should be close, but you have just undermined the entire crew by doing this. You cannot be right in a situation like this. This is not like calling in someone's primary, it is literally taking their call from them in every way. It would be like the lead calling a violation on the FT shooter. Or the Lead calling a backcourt violation on a player touching the division line. At best he was guessing as he has no idea when the official judged the ball being at disposal.

Peace

The crew as a whole is charged with administering the game. Mechanics are a simply a guideline to getting it done....they are not the rules. They are guidelines that should generally, almost exclusively, be followed....but don't let the guidelines rope you in to doing the wrong thing because its not your call. Our first priority is the game. Yes, one official has the responsibility to call it but the entire crew has the responsibility to address an obvious infraction of the rules.

This is not unlike that Rutgers/St. Johns game last year where all three officials got suspended for screwing up the end of the game. Only one of them had responsibility according to the mechanics but they all paid for it. All were expected to step up and do the right thing for the game. If any one of them had stepped up and dealt with it, there would have never been an issue. Sure, one of them might have been irritated, but it would have been over and forgotten about.

At the very least, the new lead, after some time, should either be calling the violation or stopping the clock to deal with the unusual delay in the team being able to take the ball OOB for a throwin...and I'm not saying it was enough in the above situation, 8 seconds is not enough to jump in....there was no unusual delay in the ball being available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 808442)
Why would new L be watching and counting the 5 second count? Who's watching the other 9 players while this is going on?

That being said, there's some situations where you have to leave and die with what your partner calls or doesn't call.

You don't have to watch it to know. If you have clock awareness, and know that a shot went in a 12 seconds, you know that time can't expire before the throw is released. If you get to 0 without a throwin, no matter who has coverage, you've got a big problem and need to deal with it....you're both responsible, not just the new trail. The new trail might take the most heat but the new lead is not without blame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 808454)
No, but I would not be surprised to learn that the guy in the video does. The question at hand is what to do if you find yourself in a game deciding situation with the polar opposite of this guy. How much, if any, does one expand one's normal responsibilities?

If you see it and know it and it is something that every single person in the gym could see and know, you just have to get it right, even if it makes you or your partner look bad for a moment. People will forget about who jumped in to get it when there is an elephant on the court but no one will forget that the crew completely screwed up the game by missing an elephant on the court.

BillyMac Tue Dec 27, 2011 07:09am

Is Officiating A Science, Or An Art ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 808459)
You're both responsible.

Does the old, "Ant Versus Elephant", metaphor apply here?

Rich Tue Dec 27, 2011 09:59am

Quote:

If you see it and know it and it is something that every single person in the gym could see and know, you just have to get it right, even if it makes you or your partner look bad for a moment. People will forget about who jumped in to get it when there is an elephant on the court but no one will forget that the crew completely screwed up the game by missing an elephant on the court.

Some people (see the video in the OP) just do a poor job of judging what is an elephant and what isn't.

Rule11 Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:18am

Kudos to Rich- A thank you to all (most of you anyway)>

Rich,
I can't tell you how terribly impressed I am with your composure in this situation. I have always found your posts to be some of the most reasonable ones made on this site and the video only confirms this.Your partner took this game over and deserves all the credit for the FUBAR situation he caused. Short of hitting him with Chseagle's taser I don't think there is much else you could have done.Thank goodness the team did not hit the last shot....
It is very difficult to tell how agitated you are...you can tell that you do not agree with your "partner" but you are not demonstrative. I thought you handled yourself with class and dignity....I may have been tempted to take all of my partners clothes with me while he was in the shower and let him go out of there naked...kinda the way he left you on the court.

I have been following this board since I started officiating about 6 years ago and I give a lot of thanks to guys like you for helping me understand the game a lot better. This site has certainly helped me rise through the ranks fairly quickly by being prepared for just about any situation from dealing with Coaches (My biggest weakness) to strange case plays.
I feel like I know a lot of you personally (Most of you in a positive way) just by reading this Forum over the past 6 years. The forum allows people to speak their mind on a myriad of subjects and get constructive feedback.
I just wanted to thank you all for contributing to this Forum. Despite some of the inevitable bickering that goes on it is a fantastic tool to developing as a referee. I am looking for the day that this site is turned into a reality show. When I work with some of the less experienced guys that I think have potential I turn them on to this site...not sure if any of them have heeded my advice but I hope they do.
For the record I really miss Mick and his sense of humor.
Jurassic-I know you don't post much anymore but your insight/commentary is the one I respect above all others...even if you are a curmudgeonly old man :)
If any of you are ever working down in my little corner of CT (I think it is a different corner than Billy Mac) feel free to let me know- would love to come watch.
Thanks again.
Jarod

bainsey Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22am

Quote:

The crew as a whole is charged with administering the game. Mechanics are a simply a guideline to getting it done....they are not the rules. They are guidelines that should generally, almost exclusively, be followed....but don't let the guidelines rope you in to doing the wrong thing because its not your call. Our first priority is the game. Yes, one official has the responsibility to call it but the entire crew has the responsibility to address an obvious infraction of the rules.

I have no problem calling a foul or violation outside my PCA, if I pause for a second and believe my partner must have been straightlined to miss it. I also have no problem with my partner doing the same, and I make that clear during pre-game.

However, when it comes to throw-ins, if I'm not administering, I'm disengaging from that endline/sideline, and focusing in-bounds. Some things are best to be trusted to your partner.

TheOracle Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58am

[QUOTE=RichMSN;808102]After the game, I went in the locker room, changed clothes quickly without showering, and left without saying a word. I was as close to the edge as I've ever been before or since.

Tons of respect for you. This is the professional way to deal with this. You cannot change what happened on the court, and you are not going to change your partner's mind or opinion.

I found that when someone does something like this, usually they know, and there is no benefit to discussing it in the locker room after the game. Many times I have had the 3rd guy ask, "Why didn't you say anything?" My response is always, "I didn't have to. We all know what happened, and he knows he screwed it up. No need to pour salt in a wound."

Making your opinion known once is fine, especially if the offender brings it up himself in the locker room after the game. Starting an argument or getting angry for more than a second or two is pointless, especially if you have no real control, and you are clearly correct.

TheOracle Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:05am

Quote:

Nobody here will like this, but the bottom line is, if you are right, you can do anything you want. If you are right, even if you run your partner over, you are still right. Top officials never want to be in those situations, and they are exceptionally rare, but if they have the ability and constitution to make those calls and be 100% correct, that makes them great. Perhaps unpopular for a period of time, but great. The flip side is, the risks in doing so are enormous, and we all beileve in virtually every call we make--until we see the film.