The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PCF or no-call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84667-pcf-no-call.html)

rfp Mon Dec 19, 2011 05:39pm

PCF or no-call?

Varsity boys scrimmage. A1 drives the lane and plows into B1 who has established legal guarding position. A1 goes down in a heap. B1, built like a truck, doesn't even budge. I'm prepared to call a PCF, but hold off when B1 doesn't move an inch. If he'd been displaced at all, it was a no-brainer PCF.

So I'm torn between two contradictory guidelines in this sitch: 1) train wreck in the paint should get a whistle and 2) no displacement of the defender = no advantage = no call.

Coach asked about the no-call and I explained my position, but what say you?

HawkeyeCubP Mon Dec 19, 2011 05:46pm

I agree with most train wrecks in the paint philosophy, but in my mind, there needs to be more than one car down to meet the definition of one. And 4-19-1 supports a no-call in cases like this, IMO, regarding the player being illegally contacted not being put at a disadvantage by the actions of the other player.

SNIPERBBB Mon Dec 19, 2011 05:58pm

Unless the contact stunned the defender so that he couldn't make a follow up play...play on unless A1 ended up traveling.

grunewar Mon Dec 19, 2011 06:05pm

When I discuss this in my clinics, I refer to this as the Spud Webb/Shaq collision. What ya got? No matter how bad it looks, sometimes it's nothing.....what advantage was gained?

26 Year Gap Mon Dec 19, 2011 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 806137)
When I discuss this in my clinics, I refer to this as the Spud Webb/Shaq collision. What ya got? No matter how bad it looks, sometimes it's nothing.....what advantage was gained?

Good way to look at it.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 19, 2011 07:17pm

Quote:

Do your younger guys know who that is? ;)

SNIPERBBB Mon Dec 19, 2011 07:23pm

Don't remember him but I do remember muggsey bogues.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 19, 2011 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 806165)
Don't remember him but I do remember muggsey bogues.

Lol! Mugsey Bogues is the head coach at United Faith Christian Academy in Charlotte, NC. I worked his team's game last Thursday night.

Chirped for two and half quarters, until I gave him a stop sign in the 3rd and told him I had heard enough. Never heard another word. ;)

26 Year Gap Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 806169)
Lol! Mugsey Bogues is the head coach at United Faith Christian Academy in Charlotte, NC. I worked his team's game last Thursday night.

Chirped for two and half quarters, until I gave him a stop sign in the 3rd and told him I had heard enough. Never heard another word. ;)

You mean there are two guards that came out of Wake Forest who have no clue on the rules?:confused:

Nevadaref Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 806176)
You mean there are two guards that came out of Wake Forest who have no clue on the rules?:confused:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mRWesMaSif...y%2BPacker.jpg

BktBallRef Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 806176)

At halftime, I chopped my hand about chest high and told my partners, "I've had Mugsey up to here." :D

Nice guy, just chirped about everything. It's his first year coaching. I explained his AD during a 4th quarter TO that when he complains about something every trip down the floor officials aren't going to listen and how he needs to pick his battles.

mbyron Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:01pm

Quote:

That's fine for NBE. But if a shot went up, I've got a foul: I don't want A to score after that contact, and I don't want anyone stepping on the kid if there's rebounding.

fiasco Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 806188)
That's fine for NBE. But if a shot went up, I've got a foul: I don't want A to score after that contact, and I don't want anyone stepping on the kid if there's rebounding.

What does you wanting or not wanting A to score have anything to do with contact that occurs??

mbyron Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 806190)
What does you wanting or not wanting A to score have anything to do with contact that occurs??

If A commits a borderline foul, they're not getting the benefit of the doubt and scoring.

fiasco Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 806193)
If A commits a borderline foul, they're not getting the benefit of the doubt and scoring.

Pardon me, but what is a "borderline foul"?