The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Protecting The Shooter

If you watched Team USA play Argentina today, then you remember the little incident that occurred at the end of the 3rd quarter where an Argentina player gave a little "tap" to Carmelo's groin. Here's the clip:

http://www.aromascatering.net/apg/Pr...%20Shooter.wmv

Also, in light of that play, a similar play that happened in the NBA two seasons ago I believe:

Any thoughts about upgrading to an intentional/flagrant 1/2 in either of the plays or stick with a shooting foul (or maybe just incidental/marginal contact)? How often do you see these kinds of close outs by defenders in your games?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 05:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I believe this type of foul needs to be treated as a Fed INT, or FIBA UNS foul.

I call it "the tag" and it was popular here for a bit because players (HS, college, club, etc) saw it in the NBA years ago. There's no need for it, and it did cause things to escalate.

Call it tight, and players will stop doing it. If and when it's egregious, call it as the Unsportsmanlike foul that it is. I suppose that if it's a rarity (such as it is now in my province), then a common foul may suffice.

In the two videos that APG posted, I'd like to think I'd call an UNS foul in the FIBA game, and a regular shooting foul in the NBA game.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
How often do you see these kinds of close outs by defenders in your games?
Not sure if I would consider it a close out, but I see the tap to the shooters gut several times a season. I wouldn't consider an upgrade, unless a flagrant is warranted, but it gets called immediately regardless of the outcome.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

The foul I see is not for the "tag", however, the defender sliding his foot under an airbourne shooter.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:34pm
Administrator

I can't tell if there was or was not contact in this video. But this type a foul, where the defender hits the shooter in the stomach (or even the "reserved parking space" and MTD, Jr., and his brother call it) is always, at the least, a IPF in NFHS and NCAA and an Unsportsmanlike Foul in FIBA.

Years ago (late 90's, that is 1990's Billy, ) I was the T in a AAU Boys' 12U National pool play game in Cocoa Beach. W-1 takes a jump shot from just beyond the Arc and B-1 comes out and hits him with an upper cut in the "reserved parking space". The shot did not go in, A-1 shot three shots and B-1 was done for the rest of the game. Even I had the "feeling" () in the pit of my stomach when I saw the foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
The foul I see is not for the "tag", however, the defender sliding his foot under an airbourne shooter.
You don't think getting hit in the groin, as what happened in the 2nd clip is a foul? In fact, that's the only portion of that play that constituted a foul IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I can't tell if there was or was not contact in this video. But this type a foul, where the defender hits the shooter in the stomach (or even the "reserved parking space" and MTD, Jr., and his brother call it) is always, at the least, a IPF in NFHS and NCAA and an Unsportsmanlike Foul in FIBA.

MTD, Sr.
Carmelo definitely got hit...players don't fake getting hit in the groin.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Carmelo definitely got hit...players don't fake getting hit in the groin.
Especially when they make the trey & the route is on. And no, I'm not a Melo supporter.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't think getting hit in the groin, as what happened in the 2nd clip is a foul? In fact, that's the only portion of that play that constituted a foul IMO.
That's what I get for viewing the clip once. After two reviews, I don't think the shooter ever did land on the defender's foot. The "tag" foul is definitely one to consider upgrading.