The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Substitution help ASAP

Here is the situation.Team A has 8 players total.Later on in the game I had to whack a kid for pushing a team B player during a dead ball.School has a policy that if a player gets a T he must sit out the remainder of the game.Later a player gets injured so another player is out leaving them wit 6 players.Now 2 players foul out.I need a sub.Coach says he don't have one because one kid is injured and the other kid got a T.I forced him to bring in the kid that I whacked because he was an eligible sub.Coach not happy about it,but I am worried that if I don't make him sub the kid in that I would be in violation of a rule.Help me out here because I got a school upset with me about this.I think if he has a sub he must put him in.Am I wrong?Case book Rule 3 1.1 is what I found.I had a partner let a team finish with 4 one time when the had another player on the bench to sub,and he got in trouble and no playoff game because of this.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:03am
We don't rent pigs

If a player is suspended from the team for violating rules, I don't see why anyone would have a problem. Just don't let him reverse the suspension later in the same game.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

You were right, they must play with five if five eligible players are available. A "school" rule doesn't trump this (no different than a "five quarter in night situation").

Now having said that, the coach could of simply said he was injured and unavailable.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

If the coach says they're unavailable, they're unavailable. Play with 4. It doesn't matter it is an injury or disciplinary. We don't ask why nor do we need to know. The coach might just decide to send the kid to the locker room to avoid having to play them and we don't want to put them in that bind (we can not send the player to the locker room but that doesn't stop the coach from doing so).

For all you know, a bench player, in any other game that appears to be available, could be serving a state imposed suspension. Do you think that player should be forced to play? No.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

What Camron said. You wouldn't bring the player back if he was DQ'd becasue of a flagrant T -- and the league rules are that any T is to be treated as flagrant.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 08:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... Do you think that player should be forced to play? No.
Apparently someone in charge thinks so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moref View Post
... I had a partner let a team finish with 4 one time when the had another player on the bench to sub,and he got in trouble and no playoff game because of this.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

For all you know, a bench player, in any other game that appears to be available, could be serving a state imposed suspension. Do you think that player should be forced to play? No.
I've never seen a player in my roman province that was suspended, dressed and in the book.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
I've never seen a player in my roman province that was suspended, dressed and in the book.
This player has been suspended by his school. They can't send him off without an adult, so they leave him on the bench. The local rule said he was ineligible to play, you should abide by that.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This player has been suspended by his school. They can't send him off without an adult, so they leave him on the bench. The local rule said he was ineligible to play, you should abide by that.
Then that is something that should be formally communicated to the association/assignor. The officials should know coming into the game that this is the expected/accepted practice. Based on the OP it seems an official got in trouble for adhering to the school policy.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 11:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Then that is something that should be formally communicated to the association/assignor. The officials should know coming into the game that this is the expected/accepted practice. Based on the OP it seems an official got in trouble for adhering to the school policy.
We don't know the situation his partner was in. You're right, though, the school should inform the assigner of their policy and their insistence that they get officials willing to comply. If a coach tells me his player isn't eligible, I'm not asking why.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
You were right, they must play with five if five eligible players are available. A "school" rule doesn't trump this (no different than a "five quarter in night situation").

Now having said that, the coach could of simply said he was injured and unavailable.
Sitch:
B has 7 players, but two foul out.
After the 2nd player fouls out, the coach tells you he only has four eligible players because B15 has reached his maximum quarters for the day.
Are you telling me you're going to tell the coach he has to break the state participation rules? Based on what?

The rule says they have to play with 5 if they have 5 eligible players. If the coach tells me he isn't eligible, he isn't eligible.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:38pm
Back from the DL

Bob summed it up -- all technical fouls are flagrant here.

I'm going to assume that this was something lower than high school ball. If I'm working something at that level, I usually ask in pre-game if there are any special rules that we should know (no pressing rules, etc.), so we're not caught by surprise. As BNR suggested, let the assigner know about this rule, so others are made aware.

In addition, clarify whether ALL technical fouls are flagrant. I can't imagine tossing a kid for reaching through the plane and touching the ball (and a few other non-unsportsmanlike infractions).
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
We don't know the situation his partner was in. You're right, though, the school should inform the assigner of their policy and their insistence that they get officials willing to comply. If a coach tells me his player isn't eligible, I'm not asking why.
A school policy doesn't trump the rules. Unless the league or conference or state association has such a rule and it's well communicated, I'm expecting that player to enter the game. This ain't Hoosiers.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Bob summed it up -- all technical fouls are flagrant here.

I'm going to assume that this was something lower than high school ball. If I'm working something at that level, I usually ask in pre-game if there are any special rules that we should know (no pressing rules, etc.), so we're not caught by surprise. As BNR suggested, let the assigner know about this rule, so others are made aware.

In addition, clarify whether ALL technical fouls are flagrant. I can't imagine tossing a kid for reaching through the plane and touching the ball (and a few other non-unsportsmanlike infractions).
1. Turns out it's a school policy rather than a league rule; and it's a policy I applaud.

2. I'm not treating them like flagrants, the coach gets to make that choice according to school policy. He may well decide not to enact it if the T is for breaking the plane and hitting the ball. That's why I'd rather not know before the fact, so I don't alter the way I call a game.

3. The player is, essentially, suspended even if he's in uniform. I'm not forcing the coach to either play the kid or lie (he's injured). If I need to answer to an assigner for that, so be it.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
A school policy doesn't trump the rules. Unless the league or conference or state association has such a rule and it's well communicated, I'm expecting that player to enter the game. This ain't Hoosiers.
If the school policy says he's ineligible, who am I to question that?