The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Hello all, I'm 40 yrs old and in 3rd year of officiating. I really enjoy it. I currently work JV, Intermediate & any Park & Rec games I can. My question is, realisticly, how high can I go. Givin my late start and all. All you seasoned officials, please give me some advise.

Thanks
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
VERY SIMPEL....
all you need to do is to build a time machine and go back 15 years...
in FIBA you must retire when you are 50 years old.
my advice to you is to enjoy now you'r officiating because if we will be realisticlys it's not easy to progress when you started officiat in age 37 enywhere in the world.
David
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Rodego, if you enjoy it, do it. Don't let your age be a barrier. Nothing wrong with starting late. From experience thru the years, I have found older referees have better common sense and man management skills.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I work exclusively women's ball. I started at age 37 as well In my 10 years I have worked 4 state tourneys, Juco ball for 4 Years, NCAA DII & DIII for 3. Go to camps in the summer, listen and learn.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
I work exclusively women's ball. I started at age 37 as well In my 10 years I have worked 4 state tourneys, Juco ball for 4 Years, NCAA DII & DIII for 3. Go to camps in the summer, listen and learn.
I agree with Ron. I started at 43, and am progressing fairly rapidly, although not as fast as he did. If you want to move up as fast as possible, work hard. Study the rules, concentrate on the details, be brutally honest about your own shortcomings, go to all the camps you can, work all the games you can, watch the best refs and keep taping your games and learning from the tapes. I think you will move up faster on the women's side, since there doesnt seem to be quite as much competition. Most of all, have fun! An attitude of cheerful enthusiasm is very contagious and helps everyone see your best qualities.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input gentlemen.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodego
Thanks for the input gentlemen.
And lady!
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

My bad
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Don't sweat it. You're new here, so I'm sure you didn't know that rainmaker is actually Juulie, one of our top female officials (along with oatmealqueen and JAdams). I don't think Juulie will take (much) offense.

In any case, welcome to the board.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:51am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Holy cow, Pilo!!! You're 47??? Don't look a day over 25!! And a short Pilo story...at our D-II meeting last fall, one of the other officials leaked word that Ron has an excellent singing voice, so our Supervisor asked him to sing the National Anthem acapella (for Dan and Chuck, that means with no instruments helping out)...he stepped up and did it, and yes he has got himself a tremendous singing voice (on top of being a great ref)!!
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Another great way to learn is this forum! You will see a lot of situations. Many you may think that you will never see! But when you do and you will you will have an idea from participating in this forum. This forum will also help you become more thick skinned. Sometimes LADIES and GENTLEMAN here do not hold back. Welcome and continue to post!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Don't sweat it. You're new here, so I'm sure you didn't know that rainmaker is actually Juulie, one of our top female officials (along with oatmealqueen and JAdams). I don't think Juulie will take (much) offense.
Although I did take offense today at an article in the Oregonian that said this year was one of the lowest for H.S. players with D-1 scholarships. The article was about a boy from Oregon who just signed with some big school and it referred to how little this year's senior class had sent...when it was the highest year ever for D-1 scholarships from Oregon in GIRLS' basketball. Apparently the writer of that article thinks (as many journalists appear to) that Girls' Basketball, and Basketball are two different sports.

Okay, enough rant and rave. Don't worry the author of the article already heard from me (6:05 am to be precise!), so I'll get off my soap box and go feed lunch to my little kid.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
DJ, Actually I'm 46............47 end of next week.......goin in for surgery on a bone spur at the achellis attach point...........8-10 weeks in a case...there goes softball season.............gotta be ready for next basketball season......
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Although I did take offense today at an article in the Oregonian that said this year was one of the lowest for H.S. players with D-1 scholarships. The article was about a boy from Oregon who just signed with some big school and it referred to how little this year's senior class had sent...when it was the highest year ever for D-1 scholarships from Oregon in GIRLS' basketball. Apparently the writer of that article thinks (as many journalists appear to) that Girls' Basketball, and Basketball are two different sports.

I hear ya, Juulie. Every year my team gets sweats, t-shirts, whatever, printed up (or they make them themselves in graphic arts class) and they want to get "Lady Braves" instead of "Braves" or "Girls' Basketball" instead of "Basketball". And every year I have to point out that the guys don't go by "Gentlemen Braves". They are just "Braves", why shouldn't we be just "Braves"?
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
...so our Supervisor asked him to sing the National Anthem acapella (for Dan and Chuck, that means with no instruments helping out)...
Thanks Rock, I thought it meant without shaving their legs first.