Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
Here is the postgame press conference from the Cincy coach:

University of Cincinnati Official Athletic Site

VERY impressed w/ Coach Cronin. "We're trying to cure cancer at Cincinnati"....i'd send my son to play for him.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:03pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think this is going to change sports in at least college. I think we are going to see a lot of changes with players and their Twitter, Facebook or any other social media site and it will change the way officials are seen for not calling or addressing issues of trash talk. I cannot believe that at least one T was not given for some of those exchanges before the fight took place. This was on National TV, not in a local gym where no one knows the parties involved like many of us will work.

Peace
It was a fairly young crew in terms of number of games worked. The CC on the game was Mike Roberts who has done many top 25 games but the others much less experience..
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think this is going to change sports in at least college. ... and it will change the way officials are seen for not calling or addressing issues of trash talk.
I hope you are right. I hope it trickles down to HS. Ive heard too many veterans say they have not called a T in years as if its an accomplishment. Unfortunately, Ive also seen referees punished BY THEIR SUPERVISORS for calling multiple Ts in a game sliding out of control.

Maybe the line "I'm not going to have a situation like in the crosstown develop" when we using Ts as a tool will remind the coaches what were doing.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
I hope you are right. I hope it trickles down to HS. Ive heard too many veterans say they have not called a T in years as if its an accomplishment. Unfortunately, Ive also seen referees punished BY THEIR SUPERVISORS for calling multiple Ts in a game sliding out of control.

Maybe the line "I'm not going to have a situation like in the crosstown develop" when we using Ts as a tool will remind the coaches what were doing.
The tail wagging the dog is a definite problem. Coaches blackballing officials who punish bad behavior should not be punished themselves. Perhaps coaches should have to explain to presidents of their universities as to why they want an official banned from doing their games.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

officials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
What an end in the Xavier game. A guy kicked a down guy in a brawl. I suspect that there will be a lot of guys missing for some games. Just downright ugly.
What suspensions do you think will come down for the referees?

From what I saw on ESPN, it looked like the crew should have T'd the bench player and Marcus Lyons (?) for the exchange at the half. It looked very chippy and it is a good rivalry game. To me those are two reasons to have an increased awareness and be ready to respond.

I really think this crew is going to face suspensions
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
What suspensions do you think will come down for the referees?

From what I saw on ESPN, it looked like the crew should have T'd the bench player and Marcus Lyons (?) for the exchange at the half. It looked very chippy and it is a good rivalry game. To me those are two reasons to have an increased awareness and be ready to respond.

I really think this crew is going to face suspensions
I think there really needs to be an examination of the whole blocking process. Coaches should have to go through their university presidents to explain why an offical should be banned from doing their games. And university presidents need to be very sure that the behavior leading to any technical fouls is clearly explained. I think the fear of being blackballed by leagues is playing a role in the lack of enforcing sportsmanship issues. That kid who played Robin Hood with #5s shorts should at a MINIMUM been given an IF.

That said, I am sure that crew will be getting the hair dryer treatment.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cincinnati Bearcats suspend four players after brawl at Xavier Musketeers - ESPN
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post

Think about it this way, when have we seen a fight in a high profile game like this in basketball in this era of internet and TV to the level it is now? I am sure this will be on the NCAA site in in a week with the NCAA commenting on what they feel the officials should do in the future. I remember even some time ago this very specific issue was addressed with what happened after a timeout and the same actions were going on here. I just feel some kind of message to the officials are going to be sent and supervisors do not get out the message, the NCAA will. I know I am terrified of a fight and try to stop these kinds of things as much as possible. I will probably be quicker now on the whistle than I have ever been. Then again we have had many fights in our area, but it another thing to see it on video.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

I hope there is an unknown trigger that boots them if there are any more unsporting Ts or flagrants. By unknown, I mean that they are known internally, but others such as officials, will have no such knowledge.

I also hope that the Xavier coach steps up to the plate with similar sanctions.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I hope there is an unknown trigger that boots them if there are any more unsporting Ts or flagrants. By unknown, I mean that they are known internally, but others such as officials, will have no such knowledge.

I also hope that the Xavier coach steps up to the plate with similar sanctions.
Honestly other than maybe a couple of players, I do not see the same action given by the Xavier program. Unfortunately for Cincinnati, this all took place near or in front of their bench.

Now I think the NCAA or conference is going to come down harder on everyone than the schools will do.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Another sad day in NCAA Sports.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Up to eight!

Eight players suspended in wake of Xavier-Cincinnati brawl
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Unhappy

I concur with the earlier statements where officials feel good about "getting out unscathed" without any T's even when they are warranted.

You don't have anything to lose with hitting both trash talkers with "T"s or in the case of #52, just whacking him and going to the POI. The grabbing of the shorts should have been a Flagrant 1 and sent the message that the presence of the crew needed to be respected by the "gangstas" on the court for both teams.

Once again allowing small things to get into big ones by being afraid of warning benches, issuing technical fouls, or addressing legitimate concerns of coaches about conduct.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

The player who grabbed...

...the shorts of 5 white should have gotten an IF, but when 5 white started playing to the crowd, he should have gotten a T. I think I understand the entertainment value some try to put on these games, but it seems to me the officials should have shown a lot more awareness of the situation, and handled it with a stronger court presence -- which sometimes means Ts and ejections.

I'm starting to believe a lot of officials are beginning to be intimidated by the players and their "roles" as entertainers. Situations like this should be a wake-up call for all involved. These are non-professional events, and there's a privilege to being a participant in them.

And for Mr. Hohn, what exactly makes one a "gangsta"? If you can't explain it, don't call it.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...the shorts of 5 white should have gotten an IF, but when 5 white started playing to the crowd, he should have gotten a T. I think I understand the entertainment value some try to put on these games, but it seems to me the officials should have shown a lot more awareness of the situation, and handled it with a stronger court presence -- which sometimes means Ts and ejections.

I'm starting to believe a lot of officials are beginning to be intimidated by the players and their "roles" as entertainers. Situations like this should be a wake-up call for all involved. These are non-professional events, and there's a privilege to being a participant in them.

And for Mr. Hohn, what exactly makes one a "gangsta"? If you can't explain it, don't call it.
I agree on the FF1 on the shorts grab...I wouldn't T the "playing to the crowd." There were plenty of opportunities to stick a player or two for other situations, but I don't think that was one.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.