The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

I must clarify that in the larger areas usually there we do not work doubleheaders on varsity nights, meaning a JV/Sophomore prelim game with a Varsity contest is almost always a single contest. There are some of the smaller areas or rural areas that where there are not assignors for those games, you can see the same official work both games. That is becoming more and more rare, but schools do not put in the same effort to make that happen as an assignor would. Also if you work a double header you do not get paid two separate game fees for the most part. Usually the fee for the doubleheader is not the same as if you worked two separate games at a particular level. That does not make a lot of people around here (meaning my state ) happy.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in North Georgia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
In Georgia (at least in Atlanta), it is typically the opposite. 1 JV (sometimes 2, depending on the teams. Often boys and girls play simultaneous games in separate gyms).
Varsity games are always played girls/boys double header with 3 officials. Occasionally 1 of the JV refs is a varsity ref and works the 2 Varsity games as well as the single JV game.
...just outside of Atlanta, and we usually have GJV/BJV DH, then the G/B varsity doubleheader, all on the same court.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...just outside of Atlanta, and we usually have GJV/BJV DH, then the G/B varsity doubleheader, all on the same court.
Is that where that song Midnight Train to Georgia came from?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

here in KS...

crew of 2 for sub varsity, usually a dbl header, and a crew of 3 for girls and boys varsity. Some of the leagues have commisioners and they assign and some of the schools you have to call them and ask if they have any games available. Some leagues know their schedule of who is doing the varsity games 2 years out.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
crew of 2 for sub varsity, usually a dbl header, and a crew of 3 for girls and boys varsity. Some of the leagues have commisioners and they assign and some of the schools you have to call them and ask if they have any games available. Some leagues know their schedule of who is doing the varsity games 2 years out.
Sapper, what part of KS?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

The vast majority of our assignments are 2-person. 99.9 percent of the assignments are two-game nights, sometimes three games like tomorrow night. Most of the time the three gamers are small schools where they will play a JV game of some sort followed by GV and BV.

We have one assignor and one large association that books every game except for when schools want to book their own tournaments, and there are only a few of those throughout the year.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
2 Years? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
Some leagues know their schedule of who is doing the varsity games 2 years out.
I was lucky enough to get a new assignor this yr and now I know about 2 months out for "some of my games."! And for that, I feel fortunate!!