The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

K-State/West Virgina Almost Blarge

Did anyone else catch the almost, closest, etc I've ever seen to a none blarge call last night during the K-State game? I was trying to find a video of the play but have yet to come across one. For those of you who saw the play, you know exactly what I'm talking about. For those of you who didn't let me try and summarize the play the best I can.

It happened late in the 2nd half with K-State trailing by 2 I believe. Drive originated from T's side and the contact occurred probably 2 or 3 feet above the arc and closer to the edge of the lane on L's side. T and L had double whistles and L came out banging charge and T had both his fist raised up in the air and was ready to bang it a block. The camera angle was great as you could see both officials with both signals. Ultimately they went with a charge as the L took the call. The problem I'm having is that everyone in the whole gym who was focused on the T knew exactly what he had, a block, even though he had not banged the hips yet and everyone who was focused on the L knew exactly what he had, a charge.

I was sitting there watching the play and thinking to myself that this may be the first time I've seen a blarge on National TV and if they don't call a blarge how are they going to explain this one. If anyone saw this play I'd like to hear some insight on the play or if anyone could scrounge up the video that would be great! Be interesting to hear what John Higgins had to say after the game about the whole deal.

It just goes to show that even on the biggest stage that sometimes it comes back down to fundamentals as the outside official.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 05:06pm
I miss being on the floor

I saw it. I thought for a minute they would go blarge.

I had to explain to my girlfriend why I got so excited.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:24am
I miss being on the floor

Also, as I think about it again...at what point does the trail's call become "official"?

I think we can say with (near) certainty that he was not, in fact, raising both his arms in the air to celebrate his partner getting to call a PC foul. Probably fair to assume that he was going to call a block.

Can he bail out of his call at that point? Or did this crew screw up and should have gone with the double foul?
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

Can he bail out of his call at that point?
Where is it written that one cannot "bail out of one's call" at any point?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Where is it written that one cannot "bail out of one's call" at any point?
Speaking Fed, oh you know in that silly thing called the Case book that you evidently don't like.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Speaking Fed, oh you know in that silly thing called the Case book that you evidently don't like.
No, he asked the question, the same one I have asked before: When does a signal, or, in this case apparently, a partial signal, become binding? It is undisputed, I think, that in no other situation is a signal binding at all.
So when, and why, is it binding in this case?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Do not feed the bears
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No, he asked the question, the same one I have asked before: When does a signal, or, in this case apparently, a partial signal, become binding? It is undisputed, I think, that in no other situation is a signal binding at all.
So when, and why, is it binding in this case?
A signal has been given once it has been received. If someone could tell you were indicating a block, you've given enough of it to be received. Likewise for a charge. When both signals has been sufficiently given in such that it was apparent what each person had, you are stuck with a blarge.

As for why it is the case in this situation, well, we've been through that before. Two judgments of the same play have been made and communicated. You can default to one or the other through some automatic protocol but that doesn't make the resulting call the right call. For that matter, it is probably so close that you could make a valid argument that either call was right.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 03:57am
We don't rent pigs

Good answer. Perhaps it will impress the jury. Now for the rebuttal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Two judgments of the same play have been made and communicated.
So what? On any other play, the official can make a signal, then go with something else. If called upon for an explanation, it's simply, "I made a mistake, which I realized afterward." This can apply to either the signal or the call itself. Does this look good? Of course not. But it is a part of the human element.
Quote:
You can default to one or the other through some automatic protocol but that doesn't make the resulting call the right call. For that matter, it is probably so close that you could make a valid argument that either call was right.
Nothing we do insures that any call is the right call. The only thing certain if you go with a blarge is that the wrong call is a part of the call.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Dec 13, 2011 at 12:24pm.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:52am
M.A.S.H.

I saw it live...but didn't see what the outside official (can't remember if he was C or T) did.

However, a few seconds later you can see one of the officials saying to a player: "I never signaled block."

Not seeing it all, I have to believe him... he knows there's cameras all over the place. If he signaled block he wouldn't have a choice.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I saw it live...but didn't see what the outside official (can't remember if he was C or T) did.

However, a few seconds later you can see one of the officials saying to a player: "I never signaled block."

Not seeing it all, I have to believe him... he knows there's cameras all over the place. If he signaled block he wouldn't have a choice.
He brought his hands up and started to bring them down (to get the call correct) then realized his partner had a whistle. They probably came down 4 to five inches. The player on the floor who had been blocked saw it and thought he had earned the call. As soon as the signal came in for a charge he immediately went to that official pointing out the other official had called a block.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

this play illustrates a couple of things:

1) L should have the responsibility on drives to the basket. (it is ALWAYS easier to officiate a play coming toward you rather than moving away from you.)

2) On a drive to the basket, IF either outside official (C or T) have a whistle - you should "blow & hold". (use closed-fist to stop clock and see if L has a whistle prior to making your foul signal.)

3) Basketball is basketball regardless of the level....the same plays occur in every game and officials (even the best ones) make the same mistakes.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
this play illustrates a couple of things:

1) L should have the responsibility on drives to the basket. (it is ALWAYS easier to officiate a play coming toward you rather than moving away from you.)

2) On a drive to the basket, IF either outside official (C or T) have a whistle - you should "blow & hold". (use closed-fist to stop clock and see if L has a whistle prior to making your foul signal.)

3) Basketball is basketball regardless of the level....the same plays occur in every game and officials (even the best ones) make the same mistakes.
1) In our area, we've really been stressing that T or C should stay with a drive from one's PCA, all the way to the basket. And L can cover the secondary defenders.
2) I pre-game this ... "Let's not be too quick with the secondary signal -block/charge - I can put up the "stop clock/closed fist signal", and if you have a call, also, we can quickly sort it out and decide who takes it. This will overcome the "blarge", and send a message to all concerned that we are a crew, not two or three separate officials.
3) Agreed.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
He brought his hands up and started to bring them down (to get the call correct) then realized his partner had a whistle. They probably came down 4 to five inches. The player on the floor who had been blocked saw it and thought he had earned the call. As soon as the signal came in for a charge he immediately went to that official pointing out the other official had called a block.
Without seeing it is looks like he just dropped out of the play after realizing his partner had a call. At the college level they want to defer these calls more and more to the Lead official.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

If you give me a time for the play, I can put it up.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.