View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

K-State/West Virgina Almost Blarge

Did anyone else catch the almost, closest, etc I've ever seen to a none blarge call last night during the K-State game? I was trying to find a video of the play but have yet to come across one. For those of you who saw the play, you know exactly what I'm talking about. For those of you who didn't let me try and summarize the play the best I can.

It happened late in the 2nd half with K-State trailing by 2 I believe. Drive originated from T's side and the contact occurred probably 2 or 3 feet above the arc and closer to the edge of the lane on L's side. T and L had double whistles and L came out banging charge and T had both his fist raised up in the air and was ready to bang it a block. The camera angle was great as you could see both officials with both signals. Ultimately they went with a charge as the L took the call. The problem I'm having is that everyone in the whole gym who was focused on the T knew exactly what he had, a block, even though he had not banged the hips yet and everyone who was focused on the L knew exactly what he had, a charge.

I was sitting there watching the play and thinking to myself that this may be the first time I've seen a blarge on National TV and if they don't call a blarge how are they going to explain this one. If anyone saw this play I'd like to hear some insight on the play or if anyone could scrounge up the video that would be great! Be interesting to hear what John Higgins had to say after the game about the whole deal.

It just goes to show that even on the biggest stage that sometimes it comes back down to fundamentals as the outside official.