The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Just wave off the shot with the "no shot" signal and verbalize "no shot". That always gets the point across for me. YMMV.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Or better yet, let the play develop a bit and make sure the foul is in the act of shooting.
Or let the play develop a bit and decide maybe there wasn't enough there to call a foul in the first place.

Quick whistles never seem to have the desired results.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Or let the play develop a bit and decide maybe there wasn't enough there to call a foul in the first place.

If I'm something "on the floor" (knee to the a$$ of post player; two hands on the dribbler; etc) I'm going get it early. I'm not going to wait to see what happens later then come in with a whistle and say it happened before the shooting motion.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Never? I hit my whistle pretty quick when I see a player shove another player. I'm not going to wait for a fight to break out. I hit my whistle pretty quick when I have an intentional foul on a layup. I'm not going to sit there and watch the whole play go through. I'm hitting my whistle as fast as I can. Dunno about you.

There are a lot of situations where a quick whistle is very much appropriate.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
What myth?

A drives to the goal. B rides A's hip with his hand and uses it to push A away from the lane as A starts to drive.

I call a foul on B for pushing A, and after my whistle blows A takes two steps and then shoots the ball, which goes in.

I call the foul, clearly before the next two steps and shot, and now you tell me it's wrong to communicate the foul was committed on the floor before A finished the drive and took a shot?
It's wrong to leave the impression that the shooter's position on the floor has anything to do with whether he was shooting. He could be in the air and passing, or he could have begun his motion while on the floor. In fact, I don't recall many airborne shooters who didn't begin their shooting motion while still on the floor. Some even take another step after beginning that motion.

Having had a conversation with a coach after a partner put a shooter on the line for a foul committed on the floor, I assure you the verbage is a problem.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

This is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Oh my!! HS...
Perhaps you should slow down your whistle on SDF drives to the basket OR revisit continuous motion??
Why are so many of us hung up on "selling it on the floor" vs. looking for a reason to put them on the line?
Tref,

Don't hand me that garbage. The play I put out there was clear, A had started his drive, and was pushed by B. A had not stated a shooting motion and he took two steps before he shot the ball after my whistle went off. If it's LeBron, he gets the hoop and harm. Let me know when you work games on that level.

If you want to call HS BK with NBA continuation rules be my guest. But don't come and say I'm not making the right call because I'm looking for reasons not to put a shooter on the line. Unlike you, I happen to understand the rules about SDF drives to the hole, and just as obviously you haven't read comments on the rules in the last several books about hand-checking and illegal contact.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 10:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While your play may be a legitimate "before the shot" play, the NBA and NFHS rules are remarkably similar.