The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm with you Bainsey

A little exercise should help us. Also, and I'll be careful how I say this..nothing wrong with seeing stuff from a playing perspective. I really think in some ways it can be helpful.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
A little exercise should help us. Also, and I'll be careful how I say this..nothing wrong with seeing stuff from a playing perspective. I really think in some ways it can be helpful.
Concur, knowledge & experience in the game assists with officiating!
The excitement sometimes get to us while playing/coaching & SOME of us forget that we too referee. That is my only problem with some people doing both.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:53am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
That is my only problem with some people doing both.
You know what my problem is? Remembering that I can back-track when I play!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Way too Dangerous

Like a lot of things in life you can only control so much...there is always that one guy who feels like he can slide in and take a charge. So, I also stop playing ball about two weeks before the season starts. Instead I started playing ice hockey - way less physical and your joints don't take a pounding. And, it is a brutal workout!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Ice Hockey

less dangerous...man what kind of pick up ball you guys play up there? I guess you can have legalized fights
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, don't really play anymore and not because of injury concerns (though that's a pretty good consideration). Pretty sure I've played only one or two pick up games in the past 2-3 years. I don't want to have to deal with the guaranteed argument about some rule they're mixing up between high school/college/NBA.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Bainsey,
The statement "You have got to make a decision! Which side of the whistle do you want to be on?" was from my assignor to me, not from me to you or any other official.
Two points, I think we agree on:
1: Knowledge of the game from a playing viewpoint is very helpful as an official. When I work with a new partner, I can usually tell if they played at an organized/coached level, mostly because of their ability to anticipate the plays. That understanding often puts them way ahead in their progress and performance in our craft.

2. In a training setting, two years ago, with 140 officials, I asked for a show of hands, of those of us who had played at least Jr. High, High School, or College ball. There were eight of us. The starting point for training differs considerably for most of the 132 others - terminology, game strategy and our reactions to it, etc.

In pre-games, I tell my partner(s) that we should understand the basic execution by the teams, after the first two or three times up and down the court: Is their big a black hole, a relay, or a decoy? Zone, vs man-to-man. And during warm-ups, I ask them to try to pick out the real leaders/shooters on the teams.
Sometimes, I get a blank stare.

Several of the younger officials whom I have mentored play on a regular basis. They are among the better officials in our area, not only in physical conditioning, but in game awareness. At my age, my conditioning for officiating takes a different path.

Last edited by Rob1968; Tue Dec 06, 2011 at 05:32am. Reason: missing word
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I like playing basketball and tennis. I will continue to do both if I am not injured.

If I was a a race car driver who started selling cars; I think I would still drive the race car.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 10:52am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
In pre-games, I tell my partner(s) that we should understand the basic execution by the teams, after the first two or three times up and down the court: Is their big a black hole, a relay, or a decoy? Zone, vs man-to-man. And during warm-ups, I ask them to try to pick out the real leaders/shooters on the teams.
Sometimes, I get a blank stare.
You might from me, too. I'm not sure that's ever been discussed in any pre-game I've ever worked. We pretty much stick to the officiating basics.

Still, it's an interesting approach. In some ways, we already take this approach by reacting to action on the floor. I just never thought to put it like that in pre-game.

Thanks, Rob.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
You might from me, too. I'm not sure that's ever been discussed in any pre-game I've ever worked. We pretty much stick to the officiating basics.

Still, it's an interesting approach. In some ways, we already take this approach by reacting to action on the floor. I just never thought to put it like that in pre-game.

Thanks, Rob.
Its much easier to know when to flex if the crew understands what the teams are running, offensively & defensively. And the sooner we figure that out, the sooner we can do away with unneccesary rotations.
It's nice to know whats going to happen before it happens!
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Played until I was 40 - then tore my left ACL and meniscus. Tried it again, but was just asking for more trouble. Now, I'd hate to hurt it and lose my officiating assignments.