The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Avoid this halftime drama

R decides that it's a good idea during halftime to meet out in lobby/concession area.
Me: "I don't think that's a good idea"

R waves off the concern, and leads his crew (3 man) out to a concessions table.

Surprise, surprise... Fans start walking up with "suggestions" for the second half. (you guys need to watch the 3 seconds, etc, etc). R seemed to enjoy the interaction and explaining the rules to the fans.

Needless to say, we had no chance to privately discuss 1st half situations and 2nd half adjustments.

Never again.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:26am
Back from the DL

Wow. While I also enjoy the occasional rules clinic with fans, this is NOT the time or the place.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Wow. While I also enjoy the occasional rules clinic with fans, this is NOT the time or the place.
Yeah I always tell em rules clinics are held on Wednesdays in October.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

"My standard fee for a rules clinic is $50. Did you want to put that on credit or debit?"
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
R decides that it's a good idea during halftime to meet out in lobby/concession area.

Surprise, surprise... Fans start walking up with "suggestions" for the second half. (you guys need to watch the 3 seconds, etc, etc). R seemed to enjoy the interaction and explaining the rules to the fans.

Needless to say, we had no chance to privately discuss 1st half situations and 2nd half adjustments.

Never again.
#stupidstuff

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 01:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Every Year, Whether They Need It, Or Not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yeah I always tell em rules clinics are held on Wednesdays in October.
Here in my little corner of The Constitution State, rules clinics for fans are held annually, on February 31. Same date every year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post

Never again.

r=emperor doesn't compute around here. I would have told him to come get me at the three minute mark.

What did he have on his hotdog?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
r=emperor doesn't compute around here. I would have told him to come get me at the three minute mark.

+1
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in my little corner of The Constitution State, rules clinics for fans are held annually, on February 31. Same date every year.
I actually dated a girl that was born on February 29. I never had to buy her a birthday present.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post

Regarding the 3 minute notification of the teams. It is found under "timer's duty". 12-1 ...Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified at least three minutes before the half is to start.

So in NFHS speak is it the "referees" responsibility to notify the teams three minutes before the half is to start? I say yes because the rule says the timer notifies the referee not the teams.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Regarding the 3 minute notification of the teams. It is found under "timer's duty". 12-1 ...Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified at least three minutes before the half is to start.

So in NFHS speak is it the "referees" responsibility to notify the teams three minutes before the half is to start? I say yes because the rule says the timer notifies the referee not the teams.
Huh? Did I miss a question?

Last edited by kwatson; Tue Dec 06, 2011 at 10:56am.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatson View Post
Huh? Did I miss a question?
No, you did not miss anything, I created a thread hijack from the mention of the 3 minute notification.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 11:09am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
#stupidstuff
Agree.

Quote:

Yes, the referee could notify the teams. I wouldn't; I'd have the scorer do it.

Edit: I'm with the group who says they are staying in the locker room and get me when it's time to hit the floor.

Last edited by tjones1; Tue Dec 06, 2011 at 01:55pm.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I say no. "Cause them to be notified" means "have game management do it."
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Stay with the thread