The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Avoid this halftime drama (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83654-avoid-halftime-drama.html)

MelbRef Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:22am

Avoid this halftime drama

R decides that it's a good idea during halftime to meet out in lobby/concession area.
Me: "I don't think that's a good idea"

R waves off the concern, and leads his crew (3 man) out to a concessions table.

Surprise, surprise... Fans start walking up with "suggestions" for the second half. (you guys need to watch the 3 seconds, etc, etc). R seemed to enjoy the interaction and explaining the rules to the fans.

Needless to say, we had no chance to privately discuss 1st half situations and 2nd half adjustments.

Never again.

bainsey Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:26am

Wow. While I also enjoy the occasional rules clinic with fans, this is NOT the time or the place.

tref Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 801510)
Wow. While I also enjoy the occasional rules clinic with fans, this is NOT the time or the place.

Yeah I always tell em rules clinics are held on Wednesdays in October.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:39am

"My standard fee for a rules clinic is $50. Did you want to put that on credit or debit?"

BktBallRef Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 801508)
R decides that it's a good idea during halftime to meet out in lobby/concession area.

Surprise, surprise... Fans start walking up with "suggestions" for the second half. (you guys need to watch the 3 seconds, etc, etc). R seemed to enjoy the interaction and explaining the rules to the fans.

Needless to say, we had no chance to privately discuss 1st half situations and 2nd half adjustments.

Never again.

#stupidstuff

BillyMac Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:51pm

Every Year, Whether They Need It, Or Not ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 801572)
Yeah I always tell em rules clinics are held on Wednesdays in October.

Here in my little corner of The Constitution State, rules clinics for fans are held annually, on February 31. Same date every year.

fullor30 Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 801508)

Never again.

r=emperor doesn't compute around here. I would have told him to come get me at the three minute mark.

What did he have on his hotdog?

26 Year Gap Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 802193)
r=emperor doesn't compute around here. I would have told him to come get me at the three minute mark.

+1

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 801593)
Here in my little corner of The Constitution State, rules clinics for fans are held annually, on February 31. Same date every year.

I actually dated a girl that was born on February 29. I never had to buy her a birthday present.

ref2coach Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 802193)

Regarding the 3 minute notification of the teams. It is found under "timer's duty". 12-1 ...Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified at least three minutes before the half is to start.

So in NFHS speak is it the "referees" responsibility to notify the teams three minutes before the half is to start? I say yes because the rule says the timer notifies the referee not the teams.

kwatson Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 802287)
Regarding the 3 minute notification of the teams. It is found under "timer's duty". 12-1 ...Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified at least three minutes before the half is to start.

So in NFHS speak is it the "referees" responsibility to notify the teams three minutes before the half is to start? I say yes because the rule says the timer notifies the referee not the teams.

Huh? Did I miss a question?

ref2coach Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwatson (Post 802290)
Huh? Did I miss a question?

No, you did not miss anything, I created a thread hijack from the mention of the 3 minute notification. :rolleyes:

tjones1 Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 801579)
#stupidstuff

Agree.

Quote:

Yes, the referee could notify the teams. I wouldn't; I'd have the scorer do it.

Edit: I'm with the group who says they are staying in the locker room and get me when it's time to hit the floor.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57am

Quote:

I say no. "Cause them to be notified" means "have game management do it."

fullor30 Tue Dec 06, 2011 01:09pm

Quote:

Stay with the thread