The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Good 'you make the call' traveling video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83526-good-you-make-call-traveling-video.html)

ballgame99 Wed Nov 30, 2011 03:03pm

Good 'you make the call' traveling video

Found this on Youtube and thought it was helpful.

Travel or Not Part 8: You Make the Calls - YouTube

APG Wed Nov 30, 2011 03:13pm

Embedding for convenience:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fcoUc6K-g9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Wed Nov 30, 2011 04:49pm

I have a big problem with a couple of these "legal" plays.

jTheUmp Wed Nov 30, 2011 04:55pm

Would you care to elaborate?

just another ref Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:09pm

The "psuedo" jump stop followed by the true jump stop. He gathers the ball with one foot on the floor, then jumps and lands on the other foot, then jumps again and lands on both. When you jump off one foot and land on the other, that alone is a travel, no matter what happens afterward.

On the behind the back move he catches the ball with one foot on the floor, then simply passes the ball from one hand to the other while taking two more steps.

fiasco Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:20pm

I have no idea what a "psuedo" jump stop is supposed to mean. How about just sticking to the rule book definition of a jump stop.

SNIPERBBB Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 800888)
I have no idea what a "psuedo" jump stop is supposed to mean. How about just sticking to the rule book definition of a jump stop.

Where is that definition listed in the book?

Camron Rust Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 800873)
I have a big problem with a couple of these "legal" plays.

I didn't see any legal ones that were a problem.

There was one "illegal" one that was debatable....where they declared the player had a pivot foot and lifted it before releasing the dribble. I'm not so sure the pivot foot had been established to start with since a pivot foot doesn't exist until the other foot touches in a step.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 800880)
The "psuedo" jump stop followed by the true jump stop. He gathers the ball with one foot on the floor, then jumps and lands on the other foot, then jumps again and lands on both. When you jump off one foot and land on the other, that alone is a travel, no matter what happens afterward.

No, it's not.

Adam Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:47pm

Quote:

On the behind the back move he catches the ball with one foot on the floor, then simply passes the ball from one hand to the other while taking two more steps.

Disagree. He gathered with both feet in the air, landed on one foot, and jumped off that foot landing on both.
On the behind the back move, he gathers with his feet in the air. It's a layup from there.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:52pm

Quote:

I suggest you watch the plays again....the slow motion replay helps. Neither of those were as you describe them.

just another ref Wed Nov 30, 2011 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 800903)
No, it's not.

Example?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 800916)
Example?

Almost any layup is an example of "jumping off one foot and landing on the other" that is not a travel.

Your statement is true only when jumping of the non-pivot foot and landing on the pivot foot -- and that's relatively rare.

jeschmit Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 800892)
I didn't see any legal ones that were a problem.

There was one "illegal" one that was debatable....where they declared the player had a pivot foot and lifted it before releasing the dribble. I'm not so sure the pivot foot had been established to start with since a pivot foot doesn't exist until the other foot touches in a step.

I was thinking the same thing with that play. The rest I thought were pretty good.

HawkeyeCubP Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17pm

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by camron rust (Post 800892)
i didn't see any legal ones that were a problem.

+1