The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Referee Quotes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/8352-referee-quotes.html)

Isaak Tue Apr 22, 2003 02:38am

Just wondering if anyone out there had a link to a site or a list of quotes that officials have said to players and vis-versa - in the heat of battle.

I have heard of a old time referee that was FIBA qualified and had an answer to every single smart-*** comment a player said. They say he wrote them all down so he could remember them at a later date.

Does anyone know where i could find a list like this. I've exhausted google and other sites but haven't found muchh at all.

Cheers

paxsonref Tue Apr 22, 2003 08:31am

I believe it was ex-NBA official Richie Phillips (and someone correct me if I;m wrong on this) who said to a coach who was arguing about a blocked shot/goaltending play said. . . The ball had yet to reach the apex of its parabola towards the goal, therefore, there is no goaltending. I always kinda liked that one. His advice was also to use big words to coaches, because most of them wouldnt understand. (No offense coaches. . . )

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 22, 2003 09:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by paxsonref
I believe it was ex-NBA official Richie Phillips (and someone correct me if I;m wrong on this) who said to a coach who was arguing about a blocked shot/goaltending play said. . . The ball had yet to reach the apex of its parabola towards the goal, therefore, there is no goaltending.

Richie Powers was the referee who said it. Richie Phillips was a lawyer and the counsel for the first referees' union in the NBA back in the 70's- the NABR.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 22nd, 2003 at 09:15 AM]

TriggerMN Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:03pm

Wasn't there a Richie Phillips who was the head of the ML baseball umpires union as well, and got canned?

I think he was the same guy who gave the Yankees that controversial home run when the ba$tard kid reached over the fence and took a routine fly ball away from Baltimore's Tony Tarasco in the playoffs.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
Wasn't there a Richie Phillips who was the head of the ML baseball umpires union as well, and got canned?

I think he was the same guy who gave the Yankees that controversial home run when the ba$tard kid reached over the fence and took a routine fly ball away from Baltimore's Tony Tarasco in the playoffs.

Rich Garcia was the ump involved. Jeffrey Maier was not a ba$tard, he came from a very nice family, just a little overactive is all. :)

BktBallRef Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:24pm

Richie Phillips was never an umpire. He's an attorney who represented the MLB umpires.

Rich Garcia made the call in the Yankee game.

Barry C. Morris Tue Apr 22, 2003 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

Now, I'm really confused. I thought Rich Garcia was the lead singer for The Grateful Dead...and dead. ;)

Mike Burns Tue Apr 22, 2003 03:44pm

Isaak

Use the search function for this forum. You will get some very interesting threads.

Here is a suggestion...type Dave, or Davisms in the search.:D

rainmaker Tue Apr 22, 2003 07:08pm

It works, at least sometimes!!

oatmealqueen Tue Apr 22, 2003 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:

Now, I'm really confused. I thought Rich Garcia was the lead singer for The Grateful Dead...and dead. ;)

No.. that was Andy Garcia..

mick Tue Apr 22, 2003 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:

Quote:

No, that was Zorro's friend.

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 22, 2003 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, that was Zorro's friend.

No, that was Wild Bill Hickok's friend.

BktBallRef Tue Apr 22, 2003 08:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, that was Jerry Garcia.

Hopefully, you're just kidding omq. Aren't you a Deadhead? :p

Nevadaref Wed Apr 23, 2003 04:08am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, that was Jerry Garcia.

Hopefully, you're just kidding omq. Aren't you a Deadhead? :p

Which one makes ice cream up in Vermont?

theboys Wed Apr 23, 2003 07:11am

I think that's Amos and Andy.