The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 07:47pm
I miss being on the floor

3 man for sophomore?

Sophomore boy's games are tough games for a two man crew to officiate, in my opinion. Maybe it's just my area, or the schools I've had, but these boys are big and fast.

Do you think we'll ever get to a point where there will be 3 man crews on sophomore games?
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 08:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
What about JV's?

Not until we return to the "affluence" of the dot.com era.

Under these financial times, who can afford it?

PS - My last scrimmage today was a BF game - we did three-man for practice.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We do 3 for JV in our big schools, but had to accept a pay cut to keep it a couple years ago.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 09:22pm

JV's could use a three man crew as well. Around here the JV teams are made up of the kids who don't see much time on the varsity level.

I hear what you're saying though...the money aspect is a killer for that idea.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 10:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here, the JV is the future varsity kids. Sophomore teams are extra games, not as big a deal.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

None of our sub varsity games use 3 man crews. In fact, thanks to budget cuts, many of the varsity level games are going back to 2 man. Makes things pretty difficult.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 01:53am
Do not give a damn!!

It is already done in certain parts of our state. It could happen if people value the "safety" and the future of officiating and not just the money.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Where it's needed

Not a big fan of school systems spending money on three officials. Better than they spend the money on reducing participation fees. The mission of the schools is to get as many kids playing as possible, not to cater to the whims of officials associations.

Is there any objective data on what three-whistle means to your average high school game? I don't mean anecdotes, but has anyone compared number of calls made, or looked at a significant number of tapes and figured out objectively whether there is a statistically significant improvement in how well a game is officiated.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Not a big fan of school systems spending money on three officials. Better than they spend the money on reducing participation fees. The mission of the schools is to get as many kids playing as possible, not to cater to the whims of officials associations.

Is there any objective data on what three-whistle means to your average high school game? I don't mean anecdotes, but has anyone compared number of calls made, or looked at a significant number of tapes and figured out objectively whether there is a statistically significant improvement in how well a game is officiated.
No, the mission of the schools is to educate the kids safely.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

When I was calling games in northeast Arkansas, we worked Jr. High/ HS V splits. Monday/Thursday were girls, Tues/Friday were boys. We worked ALL those 3 man. That was 2002ish.

Now, in Kansas we do GV/BV doubles. All 2 man. It sucks.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is already done in certain parts of our state. It could happen if people value the "safety" and the future of officiating and not just the money.

Peace
Really? Where, Jeff?
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 06:34am
This IS My Social Life

Across the Lake from Rut

Mid-size schools experimented with two-man F/JV doubleheaders last year and didn't like what they did with that money-saving venture. They went back to three-man crews for those games. Athletic directors apparently persuaded the administrations to do so, with a prime intent to provide three-man training for future varsity officials. Smallest class schools did two-man last year also, but went back to three-man last year, largely due to the disinterest of larger schools to schedule games with them when they'd only have two-man crews at their home sites.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Sophomore boy's games are tough games for a two man crew to officiate, in my opinion. Maybe it's just my area, or the schools I've had, but these boys are big and fast.

Do you think we'll ever get to a point where there will be 3 man crews on sophomore games?
Four of the six conferences we work use 3 man for JV boys and girls. The other two did as well but changed back to 2 man last year because of budget cuts.

These are the 1A and 2A conferences (smallest schools). However, they play running clock, 7 minute quaters except for the last 2 minutes of each half.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
#1, do you really think that's the mission of schools?
#2, we don't have participation fees here.

Quote:
If you have to ask, then there's no point in even posting the information. You wouldn't believe it anyway.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
#2, we don't have participation fees here.
$100/ sport here.