The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

From the dark side

Since I can't ref this year due to health reasons, I'm coaching my 11 year old's rec team. I went to the coaches meeting tonight and the league director said something like this:

"I fought hard and managed to get certified refs for this year's games. But don't get your hopes up. They are still not very good."

I am glad they went to NHFS refs from the local association, but nothing like throwing your entire referee staff under the bus before the season even starts!
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 07:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

In The Beginning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
"I fought hard and managed to get certified refs for this year's games. But don't get your hopes up. They are still not very good."
Did he expect to get top notch, experienced officials, whose last game was a state high school final last season? If so, then I hope that he was prepared to pay them the same rate as high school varsity officials, which in my little corner of Connecticut, would be $88.84 per game. Officials don't come out of the womb as "ready-to-ref" officials. We all have to start somewhere.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 07:15am.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 07:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Did he expect to get top notch, experienced officials, whose last game was a state high school final last season? If so, then I hope that he was prepared to pay them the same rate as high school varsity officials, which in my little corner of Connecticut, would be $88.84 per game.
Holy snakeys! That's some real scratch.

I don't make that here, but I hardly have a commute to any of my games either.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Did he expect to get top notch, experienced officials, whose last game was a state high school final last season? If so, then I hope that he was prepared to pay them the same rate as high school varsity officials, which in my little corner of Connecticut, would be $88.84 per game. Officials don't come out of the womb as "ready-to-ref" officials. We all have to start somewhere.
You guys in Connecticut and New York need to tell the rest of the country how to get rates like that.

We're still at $60 for most of our games.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since I can't ref this year due to health reasons, I'm coaching my 11 year old's rec team. I went to the coaches meeting tonight and the league director said something like this:

I am glad they went to NHFS refs from the local association, but nothing like throwing your entire referee staff under the bus before the season even starts!
I wouldn't hesitate to pass this information on to the assigner responsible for these games. That's absolutely ridiculous, and shouldn't go unreported, IMO.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:48am
certified Hot Mom tester

I hope you told this to whoever is the coordinator for the officials. He (or she) should hold an officials meeting and tell them the same thing about the coaches.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 01:47pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Did he expect to get top notch, experienced officials, whose last game was a state high school final last season? If so, then I hope that he was prepared to pay them the same rate as high school varsity officials, which in my little corner of Connecticut, would be $88.84 per game. .
WOW! We here in Southern Cali making $72 per game for varsity..time to move to Conn
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I would have said something in meeting. My oldest son played in a little ragtag YMCA league. I would sit back and and just watch but then they were a few parents from our team who started riding the officials as the season went on. I spoke up.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would have said something in meeting. My oldest son played in a little ragtag YMCA league. I would sit back and and just watch but then they were a few parents from our team who started riding the officials as the season went on. I spoke up.
Yep, I couldn't have sat silently through that either.

As for game fees, we only get $85 for a GV/BV doubleheader!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yep, I couldn't have sat silently through that either.

As for game fees, we only get $85 for a GV/BV doubleheader!
I loved those varsity DHers when I lived in Tennessee. Back then (in 1995), we only got $60 for both games. And back then, everything was done 2-person.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I loved those varsity DHers when I lived in Tennessee. Back then (in 1995), we only got $60 for both games. And back then, everything was done 2-person.
Still 2-person in everything but the largest two classes here in Oklahoma. We get a flat $100 or $110 (depending on the conference) per varsity DH here in this part of the state. No travel $$.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Other 99% Are Peons ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You guys in Connecticut and New York need to tell the rest of the country how to get rates like that. We're still at $60 for most of our games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
We here in Southern Cali making $72 per game for varsity, time to move to Conn.
We're that 1% that the "Occupy" protesters have been complaining about. You guys are going to get pretty cold sleeping in those tents when winter hits.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 06:29pm.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

$50 here in Phoenix + $7 travel for metro area, and that is 2 person varsity. Behind the times in both pay and mechanics.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I wanna say this year is $98 for certain three mans in NYC
Old Fri Nov 18, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

These games are in Utah, and the "Junior Jazz" league pays $17 for fifty minute game. This is less than half the local JV rate for a two hour game ($40) and less than a third of the varsity rate for three man ($55).

I debated speaking up, but kept quiet for the sake of my 11 year old. It is really about him, and I didn't want to risk biasing anyone against his team.