View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

>he could not believe the intensity with which Michael Jordan played defense.

>I think that while all these players were great players, Michael is the greatest player ever.

YES! MJ is the best ever because he played *both* ends of
the floor. Russell is #2: because he won at every level
and was perhaps the greatest defender of all time.

Defense, in all sports (look at the last three Super Bowls), is key to championship level success. Even Shaq's group didn't get over the top until Phil ( a hard nosed defender in his day) showed up and showed 'em how.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Comparing him to the players of his era is much easier than trying to compare him to Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, or Robertson. That was a different time and a different game. And it was certainly basketball at a more pure form than what we have today. These were great players but the game has changed so much since the 50's and 60's.

Certainly Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were great offensive players and great team leaders who led their teams to multiple championships. Michael played a somewhat more spectacular game than Magic and Larry always reminded me of a basketball version of Pete Rose. Also, Magic and Larry were surrounded by Hall of Fame players, which Michael never was.

But neither Magic nor Larry played with the defensive intensity that Michael played with. For example, after serving as an asst. coach on the 1992 Olympic Dream Team, Mike Kryzewski was asked what was the most surprising thing that he learned working with NBA players. He stated that the answer was easy - he could not believe the intensity with which Michael Jordan played defense.

I think that while all these players were great players, Michael is the greatest player ever.

My 2 pennies.