The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

How many Technical Fouls

How many technical fouls can a coach get? I know easy one, they get two and then are ejected from the game.

Had this come up in a discussion last night and can't find the answer. Situation was coach got two quick T's for arguing and then wanted to linger and not leave the floor. Dropped a couple of F' words on the way out. When he throws the F' words can you continue to T him up? Forfeit?

Can't find anywhere that there is a "maximum" number of technical fouls that can be given. Had a couple of Officials in the group who said they would continue giving technical fouls and others who said they would call a forfeit if he did not leave soon enough.

Thanks,
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

T

2 directs or 3 total = ejection

I would T him up again on his way out if he used the F bomb with me
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the coach is refusing to leave, inform the clock to give you 60 seconds. Then tell the coach if after the 60 seconds is expired, you can still see him, you will forfeit the game.

If the coach is leaving and offers some advice you can't ignore, there's no rule that prevents you from issuing another T to the team (NFHS). I wouldn't drop this hammer unless you have to, though. NCAA is different, I believe there is a limit on how many you can give the coach.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Yes, you can (and should) continue to T him up for profanity. This behavior also warrants a report to the state (or league, if it's not a school game). There is no maximum number of technical fouls, and if a coach thinks he gets a pass because he has been ejected, he can continue to hurt his team all the way out the door.

The penalty for 2 direct technical fouls on the coach is ejection. Failure to comply with any technical foul penalty is grounds for forfeit under 5-4-1.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Forfeit should be way down the list of items to consider. You'll want to be clear that you tried all other options.

(That said, I've used it once -- with something like 3 seconds to go and the team behind by >10 points.)
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no limit as to how many you can give by rule. Usually I have not heard of any more than 3 directly in actual game situations. Actually this is really up to those in your area of if there is a standard that they may hold. I think 3 personally is enough if after you have ejected a coach and they go over the top. Anything more is probably redundant as for me this would go in a report about the ejection and all of those actions would be included.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is no limit as to how many you can give by rule. Usually I have not heard of any more than 3 directly in actual game situations. Actually this is really up to those in your area of if there is a standard that they may hold. I think 3 personally is enough if after you have ejected a coach and they go over the top. Anything more is probably redundant as for me this would go in a report about the ejection and all of those actions would be included.

Peace
during my Sr. yr of HS....officials tells my coach: "1 more word out of you - it's a T"....my coach responds: "F U!"...whack!.....coach says something else....whack!....then: wack!, wack!, wack!, wack!, and....wack!....all before he hit the locker room door.....that's right - 7 T's in all!!

the other team brought subs off the bench to shoot the FT's....each player got to shoot 1 FT.....

pretty funny to look back on....not so funny when it happened.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
during my Sr. yr of HS....officials tells my coach: "1 more word out of you - it's a T"....my coach responds: "F U!"...whack!.....coach says something else....whack!....then: wack!, wack!, wack!, wack!, and....wack!....all before he hit the locker room door.....that's right - 7 T's in all!!

the other team brought subs off the bench to shoot the FT's....each player got to shoot 1 FT.....

Sounds like a "Forget Paris" moment.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:38am
We don't rent pigs

Had one forfeit myself. Jr. high game. Coach had already been ejected. Principal had taken over on the bench. Time out with less than 10 seconds left, apparently for the sole purpose of letting him show his ***.

"This is the second time I've seen you throw a game."

whack

"Good, why don't you call another one?"

whack

"Why don't you just go to hell?"

game over

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Had one forfeit myself. Jr. high game. Coach had already been ejected. Principal had taken over on the bench. Time out with less than 10 seconds left, apparently for the sole purpose of letting him show his ***.

whack

whack

game over
Sounds good to me.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post

There are stories where I think, "That's interesting," or, "that's fun," but then there are stories like this where I really wish I could have seen it in person.

Nice.

A few years back I was watching a V boys game in a tournament before I started my games and saw a coach get two quick ones, followed by earning a third on his way out the door, but that's the worst I've ever witnessed.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 01:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

whack

whack

game over
Throwing a jr high game. I'm sure there were several lollipops and a few pixie sticks riding on the result of this game. My goodness.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 02:27pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If the coach is leaving and offers some advice you can't ignore, there's no rule that prevents you from issuing another T to the team (NFHS).
Is there a rule we can cite that makes this a team technical? It makes sense, as I don't think you should penalize the bench and the "new" head coach with indirects, but what can we cite? 10-1-8?
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Is there a rule we can cite that makes this a team technical? It makes sense, as I don't think you should penalize the bench and the "new" head coach with indirects, but what can we cite? 10-1-8?
I don't know of a specific rule that tells us what his status is once he's been DQd.

He is one of two things here: the head coach or a team supporter. Once he ceases to be the HC, he's a team supporter who has been ejected from the gym.

If he's still the HC, they're all his. If he's a supporter, they're team techs.

Either way, I'm not hitting the new HC with an indirect.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've given three to one player once, in rec league. Actually I only gave the second and the third. After I tossed him (#2) he went to the bench, gathered his stuff, and walked across the door toward the exit. He chose a path to go by me and whispered some magic words to me.