LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Most Hurtful Thing You've Ever Heard From a Coach

Go.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:35am
Archaic Power Monger

That was a bad call.

The implication being of course that I would make a bad call and that of course is laughable.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Call it both ways."
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:13am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Nepotism backfires

That all 3 of my sons are better than me
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot think of a single thing any coach that has said to me that is hurtful.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Hurtful? Nothing...and I can't think of anything that someone on the court/bench/stands can say that would be "hurtful".
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 06:47am
Administrator

1) I don't care what "they" call me as long as "they" don't call me late for dinner.

2) The funniest thing I have had a coach say to me: This is somewhat of a long story but it is worth the time. Ben Williams, the now retired boys' varsity coach at Toledo Scott H.S., was very successful as a coach at Scott H.S. during the 1980's and 1990's. And during that time period and even now, an official cannot be assigned a game in the Toledo City League unless he is recommended by at least one coach, and that said official can be blackballed by at least one coach too. I know, I know, the inmates are running the asylum, but that is how it is in the OhioHSAA, at least in NW Ohio. During the Fall of 1993, I had a six month contract engineering position in Columbus, Ohio, and Thomas Worthington H.S. had a 16 team scrimmage over Thanksgiving Weekend that November and I stayed in town to officiate the scrimmage while Bonnie and Mark, Jr., came down to Columbus and stayed with me for the weekend. Scott H.S. was one of the teams playing in the scrimmage and I had them for two quarters. Williams' teams played an up tempo offense and a swarming man-to-man full court defense. That day his team was always a day late and a dollar short and were committing a lot of stupid fouls. Williams, instead of getting mad at his players, yelled at me: "You are from Toledo, you can't make those calls against us." Now you know why I have only officiated three varsity basketball games (all of them girls' games) in the TCL during the years (1984-2003) before our sons' entered jr. H.S. It is because of stupid nonsense from coaches like Ben Williams.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Oh no sir>!!> You are sleeping on the COUCH tonite! ( I was hoping the "U" would be turned into an "A" those darn pesky vowels.)
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Nothing really. Not related to the game I call, I just would never be 'hurt' by a coach's comments.

Now an assigner could be a different story!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

We are always told that coaching in high school is an extension of the classroom so nothing hurtful would ever be said....I have to stop typing...I am laughing too hard.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
Go.
Keep in mind that we are professionals hired to perform a task that requires a specific skill set that not many people have...

when you look at officiating from this perspective, you'll realize that coaches comments should not be taken personally...when officials get emotionally involved in the game, our objectivity decreases and, as a result, our call accuracy declines as well...

if the coach tries to get personal...just wack 'em...and move on....
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 01:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
Keep in mind that we are professionals hired to perform a task that requires a specific skill set that not many people have...

when you look at officiating from this perspective, you'll realize that coaches comments should not be taken personally...when officials get emotionally involved in the game, our objectivity decreases and, as a result, our call accuracy declines as well...

if the coach tries to get personal...just wack 'em...and move on....
All true...and nice advice. But we also know that sometimes something a coach says can get under our skin. And those are the stories the OP'er is asking for.

My story: coach is mad that his team is losing big, and tells me "You are a piece of sh!t."

I whacked and tossed him.

A couple nights later, same coach walks into another gym to scout the game, sees me, walks up to me and wants to shake my hand! I just looked at him, and his comment was "Oh, I see you are going to take it personally."

My response was to ask him to have a seat in the stands.

Have worked several more of his games since then. No problems, but there is also no smiling or light bantering at the pre-game handshake.

Did it hurt my feelings? No...but I have zero respect for that coach.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I tend to judge people by how they treat people beneath them. ("Beneath" in their view, not mine.) It's one of the reasons I have so little respect for that coach with Dickie V sticking out of his arse. To many people, the officials on the court are the puppy they get to kick at the end of the day; but they get to do it on the job if they want.

As Rocky notes, whether they hurt my feelings isn't the issue. But I don't tend to respect people who show contempt for me.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

I also do not equate saying something hurtful as getting under my skin. For one it would be nearly impossible for a coach to say something hurtful when they do not know anything about me personally. I tend to keep my personal life away from my professional. And certainly a coach would not know those things anyway. Even a coach getting under my skin would be rare as I realized a long time ago what my job was and realized where I am. If they get personal they will not be there very long and I will get the "last laugh" if you will. I also learned long time ago I will be around much longer than most coaches. So why worry about what some guy says on one night and that person might not last the rest of the game, let alone seasons to come?

Peace
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I am kind of a smart a$$, I am sure as i advance at the Varsity level I will make quite a few appearances on the scratch list. Not because of officiating just because by nature I always got a smart remark.

Back to the topic:
Coach: "How long you been officiating", mind you middle of the season.
Me: "First game", followed by "How long you been coaching".
Coach walks away shaking head, hey atleast it got him quiet the rest of the game.