The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

When did you try to move up, JV and Varsity?

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Just got my certification last year in basketball. Question is when you were starting out when did you feel comfortable trying to offiiciate J.V. games. Or did you try to stay with JH games for a while.
Last year I was able to do multiple JH games and a good bit of youth travel leagues. I'm trying to get as much experience as possible before trying to move to Varsity in a couple of years. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSturgell View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Just got my certification last year in basketball. Question is when you were starting out when did you feel comfortable trying to offiiciate J.V. games. Or did you try to stay with JH games for a while.
Last year I was able to do multiple JH games and a good bit of youth travel leagues. I'm trying to get as much experience as possible before trying to move to Varsity in a couple of years. Thanks for the feedback.
I worked JV games off the bat. Actually a JV game was my first HS game ever. I did work some elementary school games basketball first, but that was only because the high school basketball season did not start yet.

Honestly I do not understand why people feel that they are going to learn any more at the JH level before they work a HS game? You will likely have the same amount of people in the gym and sometimes less in HS (and that does depend on what you call JV and when it is played) and the same ignorant coaches and fans the major difference is they are just watching older kids play. Actually the older the kids the more composed they are and the more body control they have. It is easier to call fouls and easier to identify movements. JH, they might not even know what they are doing and you had to decide how technical you want to be. Work as many games as you can to get experience. I do not think it is good to limit yourself to only one level.

Also getting to the varsity level ultimately will not be your choice. Someone will make that choice for you by either giving you a game or deciding you are ready, which is why you should work whatever you can and gain experience. You do not want to get to the varsity too soon without being ready first.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 07:24am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
RS - first and foremost, welcome to the Forum!

I'm going into my seventh season, and this will be my third with a full, Varsity schedule. Normal? I don't know, but it was about right for me.

I was brought along very slowly and deliberately. I was made to learn the rules. I think I was trained and mentored well and given games at different levels where I saw many plays and situations over and over again so I could learn to react properly and call them right at the higher levels.

Going from two to three-person mechanics took some work, but, the most difficult adjustment for me at Varsity initially, was the speed of the game and size of the players. At the younger levels the "above the rim" play doesn't enter into the equation - and you must be ready. After a few years now though, the game has slowed down appreciably and I am more accustomed to it.

As JRut said, the game at the Varsity level can also be a bit easier in some aspects as the players are more disciplined. Some players get an understanding and feel for the game and "almost get it." There can be less hand-checking and stupid fouls, less jump balls and traveling, better D, more disciplined offenses that allow the game to flow, etc.

If you have a good Association, they'll help you move along at the pace that's right for you. If you have a question about the speed in which you're moving up, ask! Someone might be honest with you - right or wrong, so be ready. Find a mentor if you can.

Good luck!
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 09:57am
Courageous When Prudent

My very first game was a large school BJV game. Players from that JV team went on to win 2 state championships with 4-5 playing D1 basketball. So I went directly into the fire.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 05:32pm
Administrator

First, welcome to the Forum.

Second, learn to crawl before you can walk, learn to walk before you can jog, and then learn to jog before you can run.

What does that mean, do not rush things. The worst thing that can happen to you is for you to officiate a game at a level for which you are not yet ready to officiate.

Try to officiate as much as possible no matter what the level (JrHS, FR, JV, CYO, men's "wreck" league, etc.) of game. Rut is correct about older (FR and JV) are more composed but the lower level games can give you great experience in the unexpected.

Everybody developes at their own pace. So just relax and enjoy the walk on the wild side and don't forget to stop and smell the flowers from time to time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rut is correct about older (FR and JV) are more composed but the lower level games can give you great experience in the unexpected.

Everybody developes at their own pace. So just relax and enjoy the walk on the wild side and don't forget to stop and smell the flowers from time to time.

MTD, Sr.
Not in this part of the state lol. Then again our district is fairly loosely controlled compared to others.

The lower level games can keep you well on your toes because everything in the rule book and the case book is entirely possible except for maybe for dunking(then again I have seen an 8th grader dunk before),goaltending and BI. You will also find out how thick your skin is and start learning conflict resolution skills because you are usually dealing with the least experienced coaches,kids and fans.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 08:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Not in this part of the state lol. Then again our district is fairly loosely controlled compared to others.

The lower level games can keep you well on your toes because everything in the rule book and the case book is entirely possible except for maybe for dunking(then again I have seen an 8th grader dunk before),goaltending and BI. You will also find out how thick your skin is and start learning conflict resolution skills because you are usually dealing with the least experienced coaches,kids and fans.
I think you missed the point. The main issue is that working JH is not all of a sudden a training ground to work HS ball at any level. In many cases you might not even be exposed to certain HS rules like BI or GT that you might see at the HS level. For the record I have never seen a JH player consistently be above the rim. I have seen a kid dunk, but not very well or be able to go get balls on or above the rim, nor would I expect to when kids that age are not as under control. The bottom line is work it all and learn from each level until you gain the experience to make that jump.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 01:25am
I miss being on the floor

I'm entering my third season...haven't yet cracked the varsity ranks. I've got several JV games on my schedule. Those games are a good challenge for me (mainly because in my area, the JV is comprised of the kids who don't play much on the varsity level, and we're using two officials instead of three).

My advice would be, work on perfecting your mechanics, no matter what level of basketball it is. One thing I constantly hear about moving up is that your mechanics will make you stand out. Not just with your switches and things like that, but your signaling too. Make everything crisp.

As others have said, find someone to "latch on to" so to speak. Ask to attend varsity pregames/halftimes, and ask questions at the appropriate moments.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 08:54am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I worked 4 years of predominantly JV/Freshman games before moving to a Varsity schedule. JH/MS may help some with the rules, but you may end up with partners who have no interest in moving up, so that can have a negative effect on your progress. You do not make the decision to move up to varsity, assignors do. Part of their decision making is based on feedback from known varsity officials who have seen you work. And most of that feedback will be based on varsity guys seeing you work JV games.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

This is my fifth year of a full schedule of school ball. Before that, I had two years of rec league/church ball. This will be the first year I get some varsity games, more than likely not a full schedule of varsity, though.

The reason I started out doing a few years of rec league/church ball is because I was really only blowing the whistle on the weekends. That's back when I lived in the DC area, and it was virtually impossible for me to get out of the city and to a game site in time for tipoff.

I really agree with 26 Year Gap's statement that you might get to work on some of your rules knowledge in JH/MS, but the meat of officiating (managing a game, working with partners, coaches, interaction, weird situations, etc) really happens at the JV level because you start to get better partners who take things more seriously and aren't just there to break a little bit of a sweat and collect a paycheck.

My biggest piece of advice would be to latch onto a veteran in your association and ask him/her to be your mentor. Go to some of his games, hang out in the locker room after and listen to the banter between officials. Go out with them after the game and listen to their war stories. Do this a few times per season, and not only will you learn a lot, you'll get well connected with the other varsity refs, who will feel comfortable recommending you when the commissioner comes calling asking if you are ready for the next level.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts

I am in a similar situation to you. I too past my certification last year. I actually felt comfortable enough to do some varsity games my first year. Luckily, I had some camps the summer before getting certified and someone turned back some games and I got my shot late notice for some pretty good varsity. I had my first top 10 in the state game last year and it was a two man game. I was sweating a lot during that game

What I would say is don't take anything you don't feel comfortable with, but being that you are certified, give the JV level a shot. You will find that you are probably more ready than you imagine.

About the only thing I'm not really comfortable on and I hope to get more work in this year, is addressing coaches. Last year, I did a lot of nodding, not many words came out though.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your season.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 04:26pm
Huck Finn

The only correct answer to this question is it depends. When it is your time to move up, you will move up. Until then, just work hard.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I started with college JV games, hs jv games, and all the lower level games.
My first HS varsity game was in year two.
My first college varsity action was much later in year 8.
My combined schedule now is 95% HS varsity.
I do some jv games in conjunction with a varsity game at small schools
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
The only correct answer to this question is it depends. When it is your time to move up, you will move up. Until then, just work hard.
This is true, you cant press a button and work at 7:30.

I worked JV my first 4 years. Halfway through that 4th year, I started getting moved up on games here and there. Year 5, I was all V.

I have worked with guys that went 8 - 10 years at JV

It's different for everyone.

- Are you out working your peers? (as in going to camp?)
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

I started officiating with a group that had very few schools to schedule. Then I moved, twice. I was in my 7th year when I moved to Tennessee for graduate school, although officiating was really a part time gig for me up to that point -- maybe 1-2 games a week at the most.

Once I got to Tennessee, I took everything I could and tried being as coachable as possible. Middle of my second year there, aided by some horrible weather, I started filling in at the V level. I've never looked back. That was 17 years and 3 states ago.

I know people with over 10-15 years experience who still work only FR/JV games and always will. They aren't motivated to move up, the games are earlier, and they can work close to home and make only $20 less than the V officials. (Around here FR/JV are hired by the schools directly, and they're happy for any body they can get.)

You have to control what you can control. Eventually, someone will notice you.