The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Running Clock and shot clocks

Found out via the Online Rules Clinic on WIAA.com, that the shot clock is off when the running clock is in effect.

There are some stipulations however, that the shot clock must run independently of the game clock.

Do other states that have the shot clock have similar adoptions?
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

I would think it only makes sense that if you have a running clock there is no need for a shot clock.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would think it only makes sense that if you have a running clock there is no need for a shot clock.
Or a shot clock operator.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Or a shot clock operator.
The shot clock operator would be given a break for the 2nd half true. They could be used as a 2nd pair of eyes concerning who scores, so even though they are no longer officially needed at the table, they could still be helpful.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Found out via the Online Rules Clinic on WIAA.com, that the shot clock is off when the running clock is in effect.

There are some stipulations however, that the shot clock must run independently of the game clock.

Do other states that have the shot clock have similar adoptions?
Don't know where you are, CH, but in regards to Washington (WIAA), not necessarily Wisconsin (WIAA) {although, if you are referring to Wisconsin, I'm guessing they use the same procedure as Washington, because I don't think it makes sense to stipulate an independently running shot clock unless the intent is that it be capable of being operated independently while the game clock continues to roll}: The mercy rule doesn't change shot-clock administration, UNLESS, as you point out in your second sentence, the facility's shot clock is inextricably linked to the running game clock such that the shot clock cannot be stopped without also stopping the game clock. I've seen this in some auxilliary gyms where the timing device is a hand-me-down, and stopping the shot clock also stops the game clock. Here is the WOA's current directive:

Shot Clock
Art. 1 Use a 30-second shot clock for girls or a 35-second shot clock for boys.
Art. 2 Use the shot clock the entire game, including extra periods, except when 30/35 seconds or less remain in the quarter or extra period, in which case the shot clock shall be turned off. Note: If the shot clock cannot run independently from the game clock, the shot clock may be turned off during the implementation of the mercy rule.

Good to see you, again, BNR!

Last edited by RandyBrown; Thu Dec 15, 2011 at 01:17pm.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post
Don't know where you are, CH, but in regards to Washington (WIAA), not necessarily Wisconsin (WIAA) {although, if you are referring to Wisconsin, I'm guessing they use the same procedure as Washington, because I don't think it makes sense to stipulate an independently running shot clock unless the intent is that it be capable of being operated independently while the game clock continues to roll}: The mercy rule doesn't change shot-clock administration, UNLESS, as you point out in your second sentence, the facility's shot clock is inextricably linked to the running game clock such that the shot clock cannot be stopped without also stopping the game clock. I've seen this in some auxilliary gyms where the timing device is a hand-me-down, and stopping the shot clock also stops the game clock. Here is the WOA's current directive:

Shot Clock
Art. 1 Use a 30-second shot clock for girls or a 35-second shot clock for boys.
Art. 2 Use the shot clock the entire game, including extra periods, except when 30/35 seconds or less remain in the quarter or extra period, in which case the shot clock shall be turned off. Note: If the shot clock cannot run independently from the game clock, the shot clock may be turned off during the implementation of the mercy rule.

Good to see you, again, BNR!
Randy, after reading the information & passing the online rules clinic I e-mailed Cindy Adsit for clarification. In fact RookieDude & I had this discussed last night. So there is that clarification.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Here in SoCal the shot clock stays on with a running clock!
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Here in SoCal the shot clock stays on with a running clock!
It just all depends here on if the shot clock can be ran independently from the game clock or not.

Although it would be nice if those states that have adopted the shot clock would all have the same rules regarding the shot clock.

Last edited by chseagle; Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 02:18am.