View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Found out via the Online Rules Clinic on WIAA.com, that the shot clock is off when the running clock is in effect.

There are some stipulations however, that the shot clock must run independently of the game clock.

Do other states that have the shot clock have similar adoptions?
Don't know where you are, CH, but in regards to Washington (WIAA), not necessarily Wisconsin (WIAA) {although, if you are referring to Wisconsin, I'm guessing they use the same procedure as Washington, because I don't think it makes sense to stipulate an independently running shot clock unless the intent is that it be capable of being operated independently while the game clock continues to roll}: The mercy rule doesn't change shot-clock administration, UNLESS, as you point out in your second sentence, the facility's shot clock is inextricably linked to the running game clock such that the shot clock cannot be stopped without also stopping the game clock. I've seen this in some auxilliary gyms where the timing device is a hand-me-down, and stopping the shot clock also stops the game clock. Here is the WOA's current directive:

Shot Clock
Art. 1 Use a 30-second shot clock for girls or a 35-second shot clock for boys.
Art. 2 Use the shot clock the entire game, including extra periods, except when 30/35 seconds or less remain in the quarter or extra period, in which case the shot clock shall be turned off. Note: If the shot clock cannot run independently from the game clock, the shot clock may be turned off during the implementation of the mercy rule.

Good to see you, again, BNR!

Last edited by RandyBrown; Thu Dec 15, 2011 at 01:17pm.