Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:12pm
Ok is the new good

3 Point Shot Mechanic

Please correct me on my understanding of 3 point mechanic:

1) If shot is above free throw line extended=Trail marks shot

2) If shot below free trow line extended = Lead marks shot

3) Trail is supposed to give the basket is good(Touchdown signal) and the lead does nothing.

Is there anywhere that lead and trail should mirror their calls?

Thanks!
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Is there anywhere that lead and trail should mirror their calls?
Here in IAABO Connecticut, if the lead gives the touchdown signal, then the trail always mirrors the lead. If the trail gives the touchdown signal, then the lead does not mirror the signal. I think that this goes back to the late twentieth century when the trail would visually indicate the value of all points scored, be it one, two, or three.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in IAABO Connecticut, if the lead gives the touchdown signal, then the trail always mirrors the lead. If the trail gives the touchdown signal, then the lead does not mirror the signal.
+1

This is how we've been instructed too.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 08:04pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in IAABO Connecticut, if the lead gives the touchdown signal, then the trail always mirrors the lead. If the trail gives the touchdown signal, then the lead does not mirror the signal. I think that this goes back to the late twentieth century when the trail would visually indicate the value of all points scored, be it one, two, or three.
When would the lead signal touchdown signal? I was told today by a Vet Ref not to watch if 3 pointer is good even if its a shot I marked. Told the TRAIL is always responsible for seeing if its good
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 08:14pm
I miss being on the floor

I've had someone tell me that, as lead, you should mark a 3 point attempt in your area. Once the trail picks up the signal, drop your hand and go back to officiating your area.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I've had someone tell me that, as lead, you should mark a 3 point attempt in your area. Once the trail picks up the signal, drop your hand and go back to officiating your area.
I've been taught that if you're the Lead and the shot is from your area, mark it and stay with it if it is good. If the Trail starts to mark it also, he should drop it and only mirror if the shot is made.

Trail marks and takes everything above FT line extended, and Lead doesn't mark or mirror the trail at all.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Officials Manual

If you're working by Fed 2 Man Mechanics, take a look at the Officials Manual, 2.3.4 A., and B. Condensed, it states that the primary covering official, marks the three-point attempt, and if it's successful, then extends both arms over head, with palms facing. If the Trail signals a successful three-point attempt, the Lead does not mirror the signal. If the Lead signals a successful three-point attempt, the Trail does mirror the signal.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

The trail almost shouldn't even know anything about the shot from the lead's corner until it goes in and they check to see if the lead is indicating 3-points by way of the touchdown signal. Yea, they really should be aware of the fact that the lead has raised their arm to indicate the try, but unless the lead gives the touchdown signal, there is nothing to mirror.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The trail almost shouldn't even know anything about the shot from the lead's corner until it goes in and they check to see if the lead is indicating 3-points by way of the touchdown signal. Yea, they really should be aware of the fact that the lead has raised their arm to indicate the try, but unless the lead gives the touchdown signal, there is nothing to mirror.
Well stated --
One of the toughest things to get less experienced officials to do, is to relax enough so that they can process the visual info from their peripheral vision. It's similar to getting the Lead to back off the endline enough to get his/her vision to open up, and see the whole play, all of the players' bodies, from the feet up. It's interesting to note how concetrated their vision is, on a primary match-up, and miss something important, right next to or just beyond that match-up.