Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Testor's model paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Tried a black sharpie. Once it dries I don't like the way it looks. Just took some alcohol and rubbed it off. For those that need all black, you can customize shoes at Nike.com Not terribly expensive. Depending on the shoe, between $140-$190. I was going to go that route but I really like mine. Could have gone with Customized 2011 Nike Air Max but liked 2010 design better which has more shiny black areas on it. Nike doesn't sell 2010 anymore so I couldn't design them. Found at FootLocker for $120. I've seen guys in our association with some grey or white on shoes and nothing is ever said. But I don't know if I've ever seen it at the Varsity level in our area.

Thanks for your thoughts
Go to a craft store or toy store where they sell Testor's paint and the little brushes. High gloss black is perfect. May have to touch up once or twice a season. You're right the permanent marker looks bad. I wear the Nike Air Max too and the paint did the trick.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Go to a craft store or toy store where they sell Testor's paint and the little brushes. High gloss black is perfect. May have to touch up once or twice a season. You're right the permanent marker looks bad. I wear the Nike Air Max too and the paint did the trick.
Thanks. Maybe I will try that.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I've been wearing Official Footwear patent leather for the llast three years. For me, comfortable, good support (and I've suffered from plantar fasciitis in the past) and I like the look too. To each his own.

Ultimate Patent Leather Basketball Referee Shoes: Ump Attire
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 03:21pm
big jake

Most assignors do not care what shoes you wear if you can take care of a game. If you cannot take care of a game wear all black. All the big dogs in college have some white on their shoes. Not really a big deal.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
Not really a big deal.
And, it's also "not really a big deal" to wear all black shoes, if that's what's expected of you in "Rome". I've been officiating for over thirty years, in an association that wants us to wear all back shoes. Finding all back shoes has never been a problem for me. Early in my career I had to "paint over" a small white "Spot Bilt" logo on the back of my shoes. Still "not really a big deal".

For some people it might be difficult to get a block charge, travel, or out of bounds, correct all the time. For others it might be difficult maintain proper game management all the time. It should be real easy to wear all black shoes, if your are requested to do so, all the time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 06:22pm.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly

Well said, BillyMac!
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most assignors do not care what shoes you wear if you can take care of a game. If you cannot take care of a game wear all black. All the big dogs in college have some white on their shoes. Not really a big deal.
No they don't. Some do, some don't.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 11:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well, when you and John Adams were sitting around drinking did he mention those bulletins he put out about too much white showing on some officials' shoes?

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 12:59pm.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And, it's also "not really a big deal" to wear all black shoes, if that's what's expected of you in "Rome". I've been officiating for over thirty years, in an association that wants us to wear all back shoes. Finding all back shoes has never been a problem for me. Early in my career I had to "paint over" a small white "Spot Bilt" logo on the back of my shoes. Still "not really a big deal".
I agree it is not a big deal, but all shoes are not comfortable. So when you buy a shoe with some white or grey on them, not all of them are easily able to be simply "painted over." I would not wear Spot Bilts if you bought the shoes as they are not made very well or comfortable for many people's feet. Until companies start making shoes that are all black in all kinds of styles (and do not cost almost $200 to customize), then I think you would see more shoes officials wear with all black.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I agree it is not a big deal, but all shoes are not comfortable. So when you buy a shoe with some white or grey on them, not all of them are easily able to be simply "painted over." I would not wear Spot Bilts if you bought the shoes as they are not made very well or comfortable for many people's feet. Until companies start making shoes that are all black in all kinds of styles (and do not cost almost $200 to customize), then I think you would see more shoes officials wear with all black.

Peace
I agree. My feet and their comfort is paramount. If I can't find a shoe that's all black that works for me, I'll wear one that's mostly black. I've never bothered coloring in anything, either. I prefer all black because using black shoe polish works best when the shoe is black to begin with.

Contemplating trying a pair of the Zigs, though.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I just bought a pair of reezigs and love them.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Just purchased a pair of Asics Gel-TRX. They are all black and all leather. Asics is one of the most comfortable and arch supportive shoes I have ever worn. The shoe is not as "sexy" as some of the others, but it is in my opinion the best officials shoe out there. Bought mine for $65 @ zappos.com. If you have never shopped zappos you owe it to yourself to try them. OUTSTANDING customer service and free shipping on EVERYTHING! THEY STRIVE FOR 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. YOU WILL HAVE YOUR SHOES IN LESS THAN 4 DAYS AND THEY TAKE BACK ANYTHING WITH FREE SHIPPING IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! GIVE 'EM A TRY!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 05:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
I just bought a pair of ref zigs and love them.
Ich auch!
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 09:53am
big jake

If your assignor cares, do what he tells you to do. If he does not care wear what you want to. It is not a big deal unless the assignor requires all black shoes. In many of the summer camps the shoe companys give out their products for the refs to wear. If one wears this on TV then it will trickle down and push sales?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Best shoes out there! They are patent leather, look great and feel like the best shoe ever on your foot! Used to be an Air Max guy, but these are by far the best running/officials shoe out.
I would have posted the exact same thing!

<---Reformed Nike Air Max guy...