Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
What is IAABO's authority?
That organization has Boards all over the country. It is a national group which trains and runs HS basketball officiating chapters. If a particular group is affiliated with IAABO, then it should follow what its leadership says.

IAABO Home Page

The problem with the different rulings issued by Mary Struckhoff and Tom Lopes is that one of them made a decision based upon what the text of the rule actually says and the other didn't.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I just received an email from Missouri State adressing the iPad issue.
=====
The purpose of this email to clarify the use of iPads and other personal computers by coaches during basketball contests.

NFHS Basketball Rule 10-1-3:

Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players.

NFHS Office has issued the following statement:

“The use of an iPad or computer is approved as long as they are just replacing a traditional paper alternative, they would meet the spirit and intent of the rule and be permitted. If they are being used to review video or some type of electronic communication, they are prohibited.”

The penalty for violating rule 10-1-3 is a team technical foul. Please refer to the NFHS Basketball Case Book: 10.1.3A and 10.1.3B for examples.

**Applications are available for the ipad to be used like a marker board. This is acceptable as long as it is not used to review video or other forms of electronic communication.
Anyone have a link to the release of this from NFHS? I looked on their website and can't find it.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That organization has Boards all over the country. It is a national group which trains and runs HS basketball officiating chapters. If a particular group is affiliated with IAABO, then it should follow what its leadership says.

IAABO Home Page

The problem with the different rulings issued by Mary Struckhoff and Tom Lopes is that one of them made a decision based upon what the text of the rule actually says and the other didn't.
And yet the other problem is that some local boards in Ontario "are an IAABO" chapter, and others aren't.

So when there are differing rules with teams from conflicting regions, it needs to be clarified if Fed or IAABO interps are being used. This isn't done, so then it becomes a provincial issue (as a whole).

I don't recall hearing news that "we play Fed with these IAABO exceptions".
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure that the following is what your SRI received. I can't say why this ruling is being issued by Mary Struckhoff seeing that her resignation from the NFHS became effective on Sept. 30, 2011.
================================================== =====
Mary Struckhoff Announces Resignation from NFHS Staff
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (August 5, 2011) — Mary Struckhoff, assistant director of the
National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) for the past 12 years, will
leave the NFHS staff, effective September 30, to pursue other interests in athletics and
officiating.
================================================== ==============

To: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011
Subject: RE: iPad use on the bench
10-2-3 definitely needs to be updated to keep up with technological advances, but a computer or iPad could be used for anything that paper could have done (stats, draw up plays, etc.). Basically, the only things they can’t be used for are electronic communication with players (speaking to them thru the device and a receiver) and video replay.
Yes, it’s difficult for officials to “police” what the devices are being used for, but most officials and state offices assume teams/coaches are in compliance unless proven otherwise. If you want to have a state-wide prohibition against these devices, that would be up to you. But they are permitted, with a few restrictions, by rule.
Hope that helps.
Mary
Looks like someone made a [email protected] account, or something similar, and duped their state office. Nice.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Looks like someone made a [email protected] account, or something similar, and duped their state office. Nice.
That is not what happened here.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is not what happened here.
Did the message come from Mary? And if so, what authority does she have issuing these things after she has resigned?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-M just posted a memorandum reminding everyone that iPads are prohibited from being on the bench, even if just used to keep stats:

...While the keeping of statistics on a computer or iPad may seem innocent enough and may not fall completely within the parameters of these restrictions, any exception to permit the keeping of statistics would be difficult if not impossible to enforce since the same equipment could be used to send and receive information...
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Here is the interpretation from IAABO

INTERPRETATION / CLARIFICATION FROM IAABO
IAABO Executive Director Tom Lopes has confirmed that the use of an "I-Pad is not permissible."
This falls under rule 10, section 1, article 3 - "A team shall not use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission..."
Had to enforce the IAABO interpretation for the first time today. HC asked "even for stats"

my response " yep"
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Colorado has gone a step further, all electronic devices are banned from the sideline/bench.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:01am
Archaic Power Monger

I had a MS game a few weeks ago where somebody on the bench was recording the game with an iPad. I reminded the coach she could not review the video during the game or at half-time but there's not much of a way to enforce that. I'll probably bounce that up to my chapter leadership to see what they say about it.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Unless you're advocating a change to permit greater use of computers, every device out there is covered by the rule and every device on the horizon is also covered by the rule and is prohibited. A "computer" doesn't just mean a desktop or a laptop computer. Your smartphone is a computer too. A tablet is a computer. An iTouch is a computer. They're all just very small computers. They're all prohibited unless used for statistics only.

"transmission device" pretty much covers about anything that could be used to send or receive information form/to anywhere.

I suppose you could argue that we can't tell whether they are being used for stats or not but no rule change will change that.

Are you saying you think they should loosen the rule to allow computers of some types?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I'm saying that has technology evolves, they will have to become more descriptive and address new innovations and products. They will have to make changes either by rule or by case play or interpretation. It's my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. Time will determine if I am correct.
Wow...I guess time has proven me correct.

Quote:
To: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011
Subject: RE: iPad use on the bench
10-2-3 definitely needs to be updated to keep up with technological advances, but a computer or iPad could be used for anything that paper could have done (stats, draw up plays, etc.). Basically, the only things they can’t be used for are electronic communication with players (speaking to them thru the device and a receiver) and video replay.
Yes, it’s difficult for officials to “police” what the devices are being used for, but most officials and state offices assume teams/coaches are in compliance unless proven otherwise. If you want to have a state-wide prohibition against these devices, that would be up to you. But they are permitted, with a few restrictions, by rule.
Hope that helps.

Mary

Quote:
I'm sure that the following is what your SRI received. I can't say why this ruling is being issued by Mary Struckhoff seeing that her resignation from the NFHS became effective on Sept. 30, 2011.
I'm betting she was asked to stay on until a replacement was named. I haven't seen an announcement that anyone has been hired yet.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

IAABO Home Page

I've seen plenty of iPads on benches this season and, well, I couldn't possibly care. I have much bigger fish to fry, like the colors of headbands and pre wrap and whether undershirts are illegal.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I'm betting she was asked to stay on until a replacement was named. I haven't seen an announcement that anyone has been hired yet.
I believe Theresia Wynns from the IHSAA has replaced Mary Struckhoff.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Yes, found the announcement. She won't take the position until June.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Wow, I didn't see that coming. She was really nice when she came to our state's Official's Conference and I liked her information sharing. I have a feeling she will be a little more open than Mary.

Peace