The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I know a few weeks back someone asked what the most number of games people had done in one day.
I feel I have claim on the title. Starting at 1:30 on Saturday and ending shortly before midnight, I completed 8 straight games w/2 man crew. The kicker was the last game were the two best teams in the tournament. ( I think we counted 5 D1 players on the floor at tip, the rest were Jr) I am not sure where the miscommunication was between the organizer and the assignor, but the other 2 gyms were running 3 man crews or at least had a sub waiting. Needless to say I had a few words with our assignor. (Come to find out, one gym had 2 of our officials leave with 2 games left! They had done 3 in the morning and one that evening!)
Fortunately for me, my partner and I had worked a lot together so we had a good time and watched each others backs. We did not slack and I think the coaches appreciated that, in fact we were requested by 3 different brackets to do the Championship games the next day, we only did one. The tournament organizer we very nice and "took care" of us, so that was nice. It was a great set up outside the 12 games
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Fletch, you the man !!!!! I did 8 games two weeks ago but had a cpl of breaks in between. I really think four games, five tops, is the max for any person for one day.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

We've been at the Mt Vernon Cardinal bball tourneys two of the past 4 weekends, and those refs are theere from sunup to sundown. Don't see but a couple of refs taking breaks, so they go all day, two days straight (sometimes with Friday night thrown in as well). They call a pretty consistent game for the most part. It seems that they let a few violations go to keep things moving, but they are even consistent in that regard.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tnroundballref
Fletch, you the man !!!!! I did 8 games two weeks ago but had a cpl of breaks in between. I really think four games, five tops, is the max for any person for one day.
Even if a person can handle it physically, it's mentally exhausting, and really takes a pro to do more than three or four a day. You got my admiration!!
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tnroundballref
I really think four games, five tops, is the max for any person for one day.
Even if a person can handle it physically, it's mentally exhausting, and really takes a pro to do more than three or four a day.

I think you guys would be surprised by what you are capable of. A person can do much more than 4 or 5 games a day without a problem.

I did 16 games this weekend, and 12 Wed-Friday. Most weekends are similar. It's what I do. I enjoy it. (most of the time) What I don't understand is how you guys handle sitting in an cubicle for 8 or 10 hours. I used to do that, and found it exhausting.

Some of these are kids games, some are varsity and some are adults. I like variety. Maybe that was the problem with the cube.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Happen to us often.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Even if a person can handle it physically, it's mentally exhausting, and really takes a pro to do more than three or four a day. You got my admiration!!
We used to do this all the time during the summer a few years ago. We would do 9 one day, 10 the next on a weekend. This would be typical around the 4th of July or Memorial Day weekends. I will admit it was rough, but it could be done. But I am also talking about 20 minute running clock half games too.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
The games were 16 minute halves with a 6 minute halft - time. The clock stopped with every whistle, unless a team was up 30 and then it ran unless the team got the score under 20. We had 2 of those in the middle. I found those more difficult to get through. I found that if the games were tight I did not feel as tired, but those 12 - 19 point games killed me!
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
I think you guys would be surprised by what you are capable of. A person can do much more than 4 or 5 games a day without a problem.

I did 16 games this weekend, and 12 Wed-Friday. Most weekends are similar. It's what I do. I enjoy it. (most of the time) What I don't understand is how you guys handle sitting in an cubicle for 8 or 10 hours. I used to do that, and found it exhausting.

Some of these are kids games, some are varsity and some are adults. I like variety. Maybe that was the problem with the cube.
It's a matter of getting used to it. Most refs have this as an A-vocation (loosely translated: hobby), not VO-cation (career), and can't get that kind of time in on a regular basis. You're right that variety helps, lower level games rest the body, varsity games rest the mind (fewer total collisions to evaluate!!), adult games inject some adrenalin.

Sitting in a cubicle isn't bad at all if the subject is interesting, and if you have a couple of games to look forward to!!