View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Thumbs down

It was 11:00 AM this morning. I had just rolled out of bed (teenager for you). I got a call from the lunchlady at my school - they needed a referee at the church league game tonight. I figured, "ah, why not - it can't possibly be as bad as they make it out to be on the official's forum...."

How I ever could have thought that, I don't know.

Let's get the details: one church is consisted of my principal, teacher, classmates...out of a team of about 15, I only don't know 2. So there is automatic discomfort there.

Next, I'm the only official. Not only is this my first time going solo, this is my first time officiating adults and the people of my community.

Game is the roughest game I have ever seen. I could not believe it. It was like football, quite literally. So not only did I feel intimidated by me being the only referee, I was intimidated by the fact that these were full grown men (I'm 15 years old and I just finished my first season, cut me some slack). There was one call where my principal and a guy from the other team simultaneously knocked it out of bounds opposite from me. I did a shrug, and my principle points the other way, as to saying it was off of him. I point that way too, then I get two wise-asses behind me (from the other church, ironically): "Ooo...better listen to your principle....Ooo...better do what he says, he'll take you to the office....Oooo....better do what your principle wants, he'll change your report card" - really getting under my skin; naturally, they thought it was HILARIOUS. If they would have said one other comment after they finally did stop, I was going to stop the game, turn around, and say:

"Excuse me, gentleman, do you get the local paper? If not, you better, because at the rate you're going, you're going to have to read about the end of the game, 'cause you're not gonna see it."

Too bad I couldn't use it.

Game FINALLY ended.....then I did a game after that; wasn't HALF as bad, half as rough....still weird, considering I was refereeing some kids on the team that I played basketball against.

They did give me $25 bucks as I was walking out though (I volunteered to do it, so I was surprised). All the same...I think my church league days....er.....day began and ended within 24 hours.

-M