The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

New to officiating and a little overwhelmed

Quick question for all.. I am a little over half way through basketball officiating classes. I will take the test in 14 days.

I have played basketball all through school and college. I thought I knew the game of basketball pretty well, I was wrong. I have learned so much and feel I have so much more to learn and try to read everything I can get my hands on. I find this can be a little overwhelming.

Did you all find it a bit overwhelming when you started officiating?

Thanks for this forum. I have learned so much.. Thank you!

Kevin
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rules Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by resin113 View Post
Join the crowd. Those who have watched, played, or coached, basketball may think that learning the "real" rules will be a "breeze", but it just isn't so. Keep at it. Learning the rules, that is, really learning the rules well, backward, and forward, will not be a waste of time. It will form a good foundation for the next steps, mechanics, game management, etc. Also, the casebook is just as important as the rulebook. Read it, and read it again, and again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
First and foremost, welcome to the Forum.

I don't know that "overwhelmed" would be the right term, but similar to you, I did find out just how much I didn't know right away!

Continue to watch, read, learn, ask questions, practice and hopefully find a Senior Official who can help mentor you if you desire. You'll be just fine.

Hopefully, your association will bring you along slowly and you will be able to develop at a nice pace.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Watch Your Step ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
First and foremost, welcome to the Forum.
Or, as some may say, welcome to the jungle.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Axle will be happy to hear you say that!

[insert picture here]
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Return Of The Native ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Speaking of which, isn't about time for Jurassic Referee to end his sabbatical?

Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Probably 99.9% of those who have played and/or coached the game think they can just step in and become an official. Think of it this way - just because you've flown on a plane numerous times doesn't mean you're qualified to be a pilot. Keep taking classes, reading the appropriate books, watch the videos and, most of all, don't hesitate to ask for help from fellow officials.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome!

I wouldn't say overwhelmed. I would say it took longer than I thought to just be competent, much less good.

Some advice I received here that may help:
1. Be in the right place, look in the right place, call the obvious.
2. Practice your signals. Crisp signaling gives you confidence and helps with communication.
3. Work as many games as you can, trying to work on 1 thing (getting angles, strong whistle, patient whistle) at a time.
4. Realize you will make mistakes, no one has ever called a perfect game.
5. Study the rule book, case book and officials manual.
6. Read this forum. VERY helpful to a newbie like myself.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 02:25pm
I miss being on the floor

Welcome! As many have said, and will say, practice what you can control. That is, rules knowledge, signals, positioning.

It will take some time to get used to not watching the ball 100% of the time, and your reactions will be slow at first, but it WILL get better as the season goes on.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 07:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Welcome. I would look very closely at the Fundamentals page of the rule book. Those 20 fundamentals will help you with just about anything. The chart on the opposite page: Technical Foul penalty summary is also helpful. Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed. Learn it a little bit at a time. Ask for advice from veteran officials. Ask to sit in on their pre-games and half-times. Watch their advice be put into practice in their games. Don't be a Yabut. And have fun.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quick question for all.. I am a little over half way through basketball officiating classes. I will take the test in 14 days.

I have played basketball all through school and college. I thought I knew the game of basketball pretty well, I was wrong. I have learned so much and feel I have so much more to learn and try to read everything I can get my hands on. I find this can be a little overwhelming.
The statement above is probably the most common statement I hear with newer officials.

Quote:
Yes many of us did. But the only way to get over that is to work games and see plays and situations. A lot of stuff takes years to grasp or to fully understand and that includes many rules. Most of what we do or call is basic. It is the unusual or the complicated that gets us in trouble, even veterans. Just keep working games and that will go away sooner than later. Also do not try to move up too fast, work what you can handle. The rest should take care of itself.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the great info and support.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:01pm
This IS My Social Life

Great to Have You Aboard!

Quote:
Thanks for this forum. I have learned so much.. Thank you! Kevin
Keep up with this forum on a daily basis. When a rule, a situation, or a mechanic is mentioned, take the time to locate it in your rulebook, casebook, and officials' manual and make notes and highlights on them in your books. That will help you come to "own" it even before it happens in a game for you.

On off nights, go and watch good crews. Your assignor might be helpful regarding what crews to go and watch.

And always listen to Bob.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 02:54pm.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Probably 99.9% of those who have played and/or coached the game think they can just step in and become an official. Think of it this way - just because you've flown on a plane numerous times doesn't mean you're qualified to be a pilot. Keep taking classes, reading the appropriate books, watch the videos and, most of all, don't hesitate to ask for help from fellow officials.
Aren't you forgetting something?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Aren't you forgetting something?
I believe he's referring to the "first rule of officiating". I didn't want to post it because I'm fearful of the graphic BillyMac might come up with.