The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

A1 and B1 moving towards each other

B1 is guarding A1. B1 moves toward A1; A1 realizes and then moves toward and charges B1 in hopes of drawing a foul.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Which of the two players has requirements/limitations at the time of contact? Was that player meeting those requirements?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smart play by A1
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Which of the two players has requirements/limitations at the time of contact? Was that player meeting those requirements?
Well, I would say that B1 was required to not be moving toward A1 at the time of contact. But I was thinking that since B1 was the first who wanted to get to a desired spot and was then prevented by A1, that maybe A1 could be at fault for setting an illegal screen.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post
Well, I would say that B1 was required to not be moving toward A1 at the time of contact. But I was thinking that since B1 was the first who wanted to get to a desired spot and was then prevented by A1, that maybe A1 could be at fault for setting an illegal screen.
That makes it a double foul.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have a foul on B1 without seeing it live. It seems like B1 was not in LGP and A1 is allowed some freedom of movement. The only problem I would have is if A1 threw his body into B1.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Illegal screen? This is going to be a block/charge situation. B1 did not have a legal guarding position by virtue of moving toward A1 at the time of contact. If B1 wants to get to that desired spot, then do so legally.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Illegal screen? This is going to be a block/charge situation. B1 did not have a legal guarding position by virtue of moving toward A1 at the time of contact. If B1 wants to get to that desired spot, then do so legally.
To be fair the NCAA did once use an interpretation about the ball handler setting a screen. Now that may not apply here but I do see the point he is trying to make. I do not feel that applies here but there is a play on the NCAA video this year that talks about setting a screen with a once ball handler. You even showed one of your NCAA videos there was a foul called on a ball handler that just passed the ball as well.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
To be fair the NCAA did once use an interpretation about the ball handler setting a screen. Now that may not apply here but I do see the point he is trying to make. I do not feel that applies here but there is a play on the NCAA video this year that talks about setting a screen with a once ball handler. You even showed one of your NCAA videos there was a foul called on a ball handler that just passed the ball as well.

Peace
Oh, I'm perfectly aware that the ball handler can set a screen. You see this all the time when a cutter tries to rub his defender off a ballhandler, and the ballhandler tries to act like he's "just pivoting" into the defender when in actuality, he's setting a screen.

But in the situation above, it's going to be a block/charge situation IMO.

Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 could be setting a screen. You have to decide. Was B1 trying to cover another player who was cutting to the basket as in a pick-n-roll with A1 attempting to prevent B1 from staying with the player they were guarding? Short of an obvious screen attempt, B1 is guarding but not guarding legally.