LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
They have already distributed a survey to member associations. These associations decide who to choose for input.
Mick was so chosen to complete this survey. Much like George Steinbrenner,he then consulted the four members of his Advisory Committee for their input.The composite answers were then put to a vote. The only problem was that Geor...err Mick had 5 votes to the Committee's total of 4!

It's good to be king!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 2nd, 2003 at 05:22 PM]
Yeah, but when he wakes up in the morning Ed Whitson will be his number 3 starter.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
They have already distributed a survey to member associations. These associations decide who to choose for input. Some of the changes up for consideration on the survey are:

restricting the number of players allowed along the FT lane

not shooting any offensive fouls

adopting a mercy rule - possibly state by state

stopping the clock after baskets in the last minute of the game and in overtime

not allowing coaches to request timeouts from the bench

allowing the lowest player on the lane to step on the block

making the penalty for a direct technical foul against a head coach suspension for the season and a fine of $10,000 to go directly to the officials in that game

(just kidding about the last one, although I bet it would get broad-based support)
I like them all, but I don't mind the coach calling the timeout.

denny

My two sense!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: U.P. here ...

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Exactly! Then, you grant the TO just after the defense stills the ball.

...We call that stillin' the ball a jump ball, ya'll.

I caught that too. But I thought that was just what they say in the South.

Peace
Tha's correct, just like we lay our head on our pillar.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I think stopping the clock after made baskets could lead to some problems at the lower levels. As has been described in other threads, scoreboard operators are not alwasy the best at paying attention.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I think stopping the clock after made baskets could lead to some problems at the lower levels. As has been described in other threads, scoreboard operators are not alwasy the best at paying attention.
I'm with ya, boys. Below Varsity level, this would be a disaster, including thousands of explanations of the correctible error rule, and hundreds of complaints, disagreements, and other problems. I'd rather not mess with this rule at all, but if it does get instituted, we definitely shouldn't have it below varsity level.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Below Varsity level, this would be a disaster, including thousands of explanations of the correctible error rule, and hundreds of complaints, disagreements, and other problems. I'd rather not mess with this rule at all, but if it does get instituted, we definitely shouldn't have it below varsity level.
In football, there's a rule that says that the clock does not start on a change of possession until the ball is next snapped. Years ago, the rule allowed the clock to start when the ball was ready for play and the referee blew his whistle. However, we only use this rule in varsity play. In JV and middle school ball, it's perfectly acceptable to start the clock with the ready for play whistle.

So, I said all that to say this. Just because this rule is instituted does not mean that it has to be used at all levels. Even if the jump ball is one day put back into the rules, that does not mean the AP would necessarily go away at lower levels. I think this is clearly the type thing that would not be used at lower levels of play.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 01:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Hey - how about if we stop the clock after missed baskets in the last minute? Boy - that would be fun.

Also - let's let it run during intentional foul free throws! That probably would be the last we would see of those.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Also - let's let it run during intentional foul free throws! That probably would be the last we would see of those.
Like most brilliant ideas this one seems downright dumb at first glance. But it would work! Actually wouldn't even need FTs, just take 10 seconds off & give the ball back.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Great idea, Mark! Boy this AND the Howard bobble head doll idea -- two in one week. Have you switched meds or something?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 04:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Great idea, Mark! Boy this AND the Howard bobble head doll idea -- two in one week. Have you switched meds or something?
No, I just finally found them. Wait until I tell you my brilliant idea of how to solve the school funding crisis.

Just put video games in all schools. Make the kids pay for their own darn education. Also - attendance is sure to go up.

I also like the idea of every time a kid gets a technical during a game, his mom has to run five laps.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2003, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

I truly dislike the stopping of the clock on made baskets in the final minute. I don't see what the rationale is. I further believe that it eliminates a great deal of the excitement when a team hits a shot in the last few seconds. In current HS ball the clock usually runs out after the ball goes through and the teammates and fans run onto the floor and celebrate. It is just anti-climatic with the clock stopping (NCAA games) and the waiting for the other team to inbound or even take a time-out and then inbound for a last play with point whatever seconds left.
I'm for more buzzer beaters, this rule makes them rarer. It is a real excitement killer. Thumbs down.
PS It is also the cause of all the technical foul situations for running onto the floor at the end of games.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2003, 01:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I truly dislike the stopping of the clock on made baskets in the final minute. I don't see what the rationale is. I further believe that it eliminates a great deal of the excitement when a team hits a shot in the last few seconds.
The real excitement, which would end if this rule was implemented, is when a team hits a shot to pull within one point with less than five seconds left and the other team actually inbounds the ball !!!

Sometimes there's even a steal or at least a foul. You would think coaches would teach their players to just stand OOB with the ball and let the clock run out.

Wait a minute - I used the words "coaches" and "think" in the same sentence. I should know better than that.