The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

During the N.C. State / Marquette round one Men's NCAA game,
a player while making a throw-in from a designated spot,
moved both feet slightly. ( at most, 18 inches )
The official called a violation and gave the travelling
signal which I SAW AS WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS.
The limitation for such a player is that he/she keep one foot on or over the "spot" which extends three feet wide.
This allows the thrower to cover much territory and in fact very few coaches/players take advantage of this situation.
If however, a player does violate this limitation, the travel signal is the wrong one since the travel rule does not exist on a throw-in.
What is the proper mechanic ?
Did anyone else notice this situation ?
It happened one other time in the tournament, but the official used the
"running the baseline" signal.

How successful could a coach be in trying to correct such a
call ?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

The same mechanic for FT violations.

Basially it looks like the running the baseline signal, but pointing to the floor.

How successful could a coach be in trying to correct such a call

Probably about the same probability as it is for any other call. If you are a betting man and take the possibility of the call being changed, do not bet too much money.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by silverfox
During the N.C. State / Marquette round one Men's NCAA game,
a player while making a throw-in from a designated spot,
moved both feet slightly. ( at most, 18 inches )
The official called a violation and gave the travelling
signal which I SAW AS WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS.
The limitation for such a player is that he/she keep one foot on or over the "spot" which extends three feet wide.
This allows the thrower to cover much territory and in fact very few coaches/players take advantage of this situation.
If however, a player does violate this limitation, the travel signal is the wrong one since the travel rule does not exist on a throw-in.
Did anyone else notice this situation ?

How successful could a coach be in trying to correct such a
call ?

I saw it and, yes, you are correct in that the official got both the call and the signal wrong. As Jeff said, the signals looks a lot like the 3-seconds mechanic except that you point to the spot and sweep the and away. Unfortunately, this is one of the more commonly mis-called rules, even in the NCAA.

I think it may have even cost NCState the game. It was with 34 seconds to go in a very tight game. To have a bogus turnover like that could certainly be enough to change the outcome.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

incorrect call on designated spot throw-in

If your partner made an incorrect travel call on a designated spot throw-in, whether the coach made an appeal or not, would you step in and correct it ? What would you have done if you were one of the other two officials in the
N.C. State game ?

Similar to the Kansas travel call, how could the two partners in the N.C.State game not have corrected the call
at such a crucial time/score situation in the game ?
What is the likeleyhood that all three officials and the coach, participating at such an elite level
of not knowing the rule and or not noticing what ocurred on the play ?
Would such a mistake cost the entire crew any further advancement in the tournament ?
If Herb Sendeck had jumped off the becnch and attempted to
correct the call like the M.S.U. caoch did, would it have made any difference in this situation ?

How many div.I coaches really now the rules?
It appears that this is a stone that needs to be turned over
for many basketball programs that are looking for any
possible detail that could improve their record.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: incorrect call on designated spot throw-in

Quote:
If your partner made an incorrect travel call on a designated spot throw-in, whether the coach made an appeal or not, would you step in and correct it ? What would you have done if you were one of the other two officials in the
N.C. State game ?
The two situations are not anywhere near the same. The travel call or "no-call" was in the primary and secondary coverage area of two officials. So the official in the secondary area if he saw something obvious (at least what appeared here) he can make a call.

As it relates to what I would have done, I would not have done a damn thing. If you are talking about a judgement call, there is nothing for me to say. Then the next question I would have, why would I be paying that close attention? Aren't the other players doing stuff on the court?

Quote:

Similar to the Kansas travel call, how could the two partners in the N.C.State game not have corrected the call
at such a crucial time/score situation in the game ?
Not their job. And again, this is a judgement call. You do not come in a change or give information on judgement calls. Unless we are talking about a basket going in or a possible out of bounds play, there are not many situations that you give that information.

Quote:

What is the likeleyhood that all three officials and the coach, participating at such an elite level
of not knowing the rule and or not noticing what ocurred on the play ?
I think that is a personal thing. But I do not see this as someone not knowing the rule.

Quote:

Would such a mistake cost the entire crew any further advancement in the tournament ?
Not the entire crew, but maybe the particular official, if his call was subjected to that much scrutiny. But I am not one that feels that the call was that bad from my TV view.

Quote:

If Herb Sendeck had jumped off the becnch and attempted to
correct the call like the M.S.U. caoch did, would it have made any difference in this situation ?
It might have affected whether I called a technical foul or not, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:

How many div.I coaches really now the rules?
It appears that this is a stone that needs to be turned over
for many basketball programs that are looking for any
possible detail that could improve their record.
Who knows. They do not make it a point to know these things. But just knowing the rules is not going to help your talent or your winning percentage.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
N.C. State game ?
I wouldn't have done anything.I wouldn't have seen it because I would have been too busy watching my own area.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The original post says he moved 18 inches, by the estimation of the television viewer. It's a 3 foot spot, which my interpretation tells me extends 18 inches each direction. Not a lot of room. Three feet isn't a much wider distance than an average college basketball player's feet would be spread during a throw in.
Frankly, not having seen the call, it sounds like it was at worst a questionable call, but hardly a bad call. It sounds like it was probably even the right call. Even if the mechanic was wrong.

Adam
Old Sat Apr 05, 2003, 10:49pm
Administrator

It happened again tonight in the first half of the Syacuse-Texas game. Texas had the ball for a throw-in on its frontcourt endline. The Texas player moved no more than twelve to eighteen inches away from the Lead after receiving the ball from the Lead. The Lead sounded his whistle and gave the travel signal. And Billy Packer crowed what a great call it was. Oh well, we only have to listen to Billy Packer for one more game until next year.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio