The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My friend and I will be running a ref's camp this year -- for the first time! We will aim at newer refs, such as first and second year folks. We also expect a few rec refs who might be interested in joining the association, or just in getting "better" rec games. This will be a Friday evening, and all day Saturday affair, and we don't want to charge much. We also will be breaking in a couple of new evaluators.

We've got some very good speakers lined up already, and have commitments from several good evaluators. We've got games, gyms and classrooms, video equipment and concessions, and lots of enthusiasm.

What else do we need to really pack a wallop?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 03:46am
In Memoriam

Free beer!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm sure you've got this all lined up, or at least planned out, but how are you ensuring that you have enough teams and/or games at the same site for all your officials to get on the court to work them?

Are you indoors or outdoors? Is there any possibility of videotaping?

Do you have classroom time built in? If so, do you have an assignor there to talk to them about what he/she is looking for in taking on new officials or moving them up? Do you have a board interpreter to do a rules/situation discussion?

Do you have a little "something" to give to your graduates? A little diploma or trinket with the name of the camp on it?

Best of luck, Juulie. Honestly, I have thought about trying to pull the same thing off for the last couple of summers, but haven't been able to pull the logistics together.

Chuck
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 08:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Honestly, I have thought about trying to pull the same thing off for the last couple of summers, but haven't been able to pull the logistics together.

Dan,Mick and I would go to your camp- but I don't think that we could pass the physical!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Honestly, I have thought about trying to pull the same thing off for the last couple of summers, but haven't been able to pull the logistics together.

Dan,Mick and I would go to your camp- but I don't think that we could pass the physical!
:wipes coffee off monitor:

Stop it! Stop it I say!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure you've got this all lined up, or at least planned out, but how are you ensuring that you have enough teams and/or games at the same site for all your officials to get on the court to work them?

Are you indoors or outdoors? Is there any possibility of videotaping?

Do you have classroom time built in? If so, do you have an assignor there to talk to them about what he/she is looking for in taking on new officials or moving them up? Do you have a board interpreter to do a rules/situation discussion?

Do you have a little "something" to give to your graduates? A little diploma or trinket with the name of the camp on it?
Thanks for all the suggestions. We already have a tournament "scheduled" -- it has been held for many years and will almost certainly yield the kinds and number of games we want for beginners. Indoor games, definitely video -- equipment lined up already. Class room time built in, with good teachers for subject matter, assignors committed. Budget (which includes a small profit), lackeys and equipment sales tables in place. I think we're in business.

"A little something" to give "graduaates" is something we are waffling on. Not another T-shirt! Not a baseball cap! What else is there?!?! Certificate? that doesn't seem like enough, somehow. What else.

And actually, Dan, we will have free beer! Not very much, but at least one round. This is after, not before!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 12:31pm
Esteemed Participant

Juulie - where and when will you be holding this camp?? I have some buddies I might be able to send your way,if you don't mind having some "northerners" crash your party!! And as far as "a little something", like you said, t-shirts and hats are overdone...unless you do it for people for special things such as most improved, or best hustle or something like that...
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Juulie - where and when will you be holding this camp?? I have some buddies I might be able to send your way,if you don't mind having some "northerners" crash your party!! And as far as "a little something", like you said, t-shirts and hats are overdone...unless you do it for people for special things such as most improved, or best hustle or something like that...
DJ -- bare outline is on the PBOA website (www.pboa.org), people can e-mail me for details. Only 16 spots so hurry!!

And, would you be interested in evaluating? if so, e-mail me privately. Our PBOA golf tournament is that day, so we would welcome someone with your experience to do evals. We will pay a little, and give free food and drinks at the party.

I am uncertain about giving awards for "most improved" and so forth. It's great, in some ways, but in a crowd of newbies, how do we come up with the best awards, or ideas?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 12:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I am uncertain about giving awards for "most improved" and so forth. It's great, in some ways, but in a crowd of newbies, how do we come up with the best awards, or ideas?
Beats me! I'm just the idea-guy here...you're the one getting the big bucks!!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:05pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
How about key chains...
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Height - Lost it.
Speed - Lost it.
Intelligence - Lost it.
Good looks - I can cook.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:

Height - Lost it.
Speed - Lost it.
Intelligence - Lost it.
Good looks - I can cook.
Height - never had it
Speed - Mine must be somewhere with yours, Mick
Intelligence - Huh??
Good looks - I can't even cook

We're in sad shape, Mick!!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
"A little something" to give "graduaates" is something we are waffling on. Not another T-shirt!
If the camp is for beginners, it won't be "another" t-shirt. It'll be their first one!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
"A little something" to give "graduaates" is something we are waffling on. Not another T-shirt!
If the camp is for beginners, it won't be "another" t-shirt. It'll be their first one!
...first ref camp shirt, yes. But how many others do they have from kids programs, church camp, corporate name changes, etc, etc, etc.

...although I saved my first ref camp shirt. Hm...
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 04:52pm
9 times

What would I want in a camp as a newbie? I know that I would look for the people who will help me to move up. Are they on the camp staff? Guest speakers? Guest evaluators? These are the people that I would target as staff members and I would advertise their attendance as a selling point of the camp.

I would give out a shirt. Remember that a large percentage of your potential applicants are bound to be men. My wife thinks I have too many T shirts, but I don't know that there is a number that equals too many.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019