The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: At least from the camera angle...........

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I do not think it was that easy to determine it was an actual travel. I mean there was no close up. You could not see both feet and there relationship to the floor. And the commentators (not the best source, but here it goes) said the T indicated that there was no travel. But this is one the reasons I was watching, and those officials were actually officiating. Because when I saw the play, I was thinking, "you have to be right there to see that one."

But that is my take.

Peace
Not sure what you saw Rut but the player definitely jumped and both feet definitely left the floor. I didn't see the original play but the replay, from floor level, was clear.

__________________________________________________ ___

Chuck, little Timmy C. has no sense of humor. You pretty much have to see it his way or not at all.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Gee Tony

Thanks for the reference . . . I just consider the source.

What a piece.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: At least from the camera angle...........

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Not sure what you saw Rut but the player definitely jumped and both feet definitely left the floor. I didn't see the original play but the replay, from floor level, was clear.
I saw the play live. I did not see a replay or any other angle. And it was not clear that he traveled from that angle. The camera was too far away. It looked funny, but the angle that was shown live did not show both feet close up or an better angle. It looked funny, but that does not mean it was illegal. But then again, I only saw one angle. And you cannot call things that just "look bad."

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Rut,
In the live action angle you cannot see both feet of the KU player because the bottom of the screen clips them off. In the first replay this is also true. However, later in the game, maybe even after halftime, they showed another camera's view from near the floor level and it is crystal clear that both feet come off the floor and then return.
Bottom line, the final call was correct, the T totally missed it, the C saved his butt. I thought the C did a wonderful job waiting for the T to make the call and when he did not, he had to come over and get that call made. If the T is embarrassed, and he should be, he can only blame himself, the C waited so as not to embarrass him. If I were the T, I would be thanking my C and buying all the post-game refreshments.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 08:10pm
rooster

I saw that play, which you are talking about. That was a walk,and the way it was it was handle. I think the T should have went to the Ku head coach. And just tell him that he blew that one. Maybe Roy would have taken it a little better.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I guess I stand alone on the board, concerning this play. The C had no business coming that far to call a travel in front of his partner. 1. its not a NON-BB play. 2. it was way out of his area, I mean not even close to his area. 3. he didn't just wait to see if his partner would make the call, he waited, thought and beep. 4th and 5th, the main two points, which by the way is the point coach Roy was trying to make, is the play was over and the C did not make the call, he went to the other official(simular to a mis call on an OOB) to give information to him so as to call a travel. I see a call or a no call every game where I know should have or should not have been called. I'll be darn if i going to go Beep on a play 40 or 50 feet away and go to my partner and say you missed a violation.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:35pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: At least from the camera angle...........

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I saw the play live. I did not see a replay or any other angle. And it was not clear that he traveled from that angle. The camera was too far away. It looked funny, but the angle that was shown live did not show both feet close up or an better angle. It looked funny, but that does not mean it was illegal. But then again, I only saw one angle. And you cannot call things that just "look bad."

Peace
Rut,
If I remember correctly.
I saw the play on TV and the although I didn't see the feet, I did notice that Hinrich got about 13-1/2" taller, then 13-1/2" shorter and then acted very sheepishly. His body language indicated surprise that the whistle was not yet blown. It was like he was thinking, "Uh.... Okay, what now?"

Baaaaaaa-d form.

mick
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
1. its not a NON-BB play.
Bart, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but how is traveling a non-basketball play? I just don't understand what you mean by that.

Quote:
OK, I guess I stand alone on the board, concerning this play. The C had no business coming that far to call a travel in front of his partner.
I don't know if you stand alone, but I will disagree with you. I didn't see the play, but the fact that it's way out of the C's area doesn't mean that he can't call it. Apparently, Williams was upset, which is dumb, but understandable. But what are you going to say to the other coach when 20,000 people saw an obvious travel and nobody in stripes does anything? "Sorry Coach, not my call"? I hope not. "My partner had a great look at it"? He obviously didn't.

Bottom line is that you have to call the obvious. If everybody in the gym knows that something happened, somebody better blow a whistle.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Bart, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but how is traveling a non-basketball play? I just don't understand what you mean by that.

NON BBall play= example is, elbow, punch, kick, ect.

Quote:
OK, I guess I stand alone on the board, concerning this play. The C had no business coming that far to call a travel in front of his partner.
I don't know if you stand alone, but I will disagree with you. I didn't see the play, but the fact that it's way out of the C's area doesn't mean that he can't call it. Apparently, Williams was upset, which is dumb, but understandable. But what are you going to say to the other coach when 20,000 people saw an obvious travel and nobody in stripes does anything? "Sorry Coach, not my call"? I hope not. "My partner had a great look at it"? He obviously didn't.

Bottom line is that you have to call the obvious. If everybody in the gym knows that something happened, somebody better blow a whistle.
I guess we agree to disagree.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
NON BBall play= example is, elbow, punch, kick, ect.
I guess I really am dense this morning, b/c those examples don't help me. How is traveling not a basketball play? I honestly don't understand.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
[i] How is traveling not a basketball play? I honestly don't understand.

Chuck [/B]
Chuck, i think i see the misunderstanding. I didn't say "traveling not a basketball play". I said traveling is not a non bb play. A NON BB play is, punch, kick, pinch, elbow, spit, trash talk, etc. Sorry for the confussion.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rut,

I thought the C did a wonderful job waiting for the T to make the call and when he did not, he had to come over and get that call made.

I agree. Great job.

Quote:

If the T is embarrassed, and he should be, he can only blame himself,

Why, oh why, should the T be embarrassed? He obviously did not see what the C saw (like that? ) and he rightly held his whistle. Nothing to be embarrassed about, IMO.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck, i think i see the misunderstanding. I didn't say "traveling not a basketball play". I said traveling is not a non bb play. A NON BB play is, punch, kick, pinch, elbow, spit, trash talk, etc. Sorry for the confussion.
Ok, I see I read it wrong originally. Sorry. Now that I understand what you said, let me see if I understand why you said it. Is your point that an official should be quick to grab the non-basketball stuff even if it's not in his primary; but that he should let his partner "live and die" (so to speak) with whatever basketball plays occur in front of him?

If that's the point, I finally see the light I still say somebody has to call the obvious stuff, but we've already agreed to disagree. I just want to make sure that I understand what you're really saying.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, for the most part, you live and die. If, we are talking a secondary coverage, or the very few plays concerning angles that the ncaa mechanics have pointed out, then, depending on the game and the play, I might come and get. If i was to review a seasons worth of tapes, i think I could count on one hand the times I called something out of my primary.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yes, for the most part, you live and die. If, we are talking a secondary coverage, or the very few plays concerning angles that the ncaa mechanics have pointed out, then, depending on the game and the play, I might come and get. If i was to review a seasons worth of tapes, i think I could count on one hand the times I called something out of my primary.
Bart,
I think I need both hands to count the number of times I've apologized for reaching.
mick