The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Made a layup at wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/80830-made-layup-wrong-basket.html)

stiffler3492 Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:09pm

Made a layup at wrong basket

Had my first official games of the season last night. Had the old made-a-layup-in-the-wrong-basket come up.

Team A inbounds from the endline furthest from their basket. A2 catches the inbounds pass and immediately shoots and makes a layup...in the wrong basket.

We stopped play, counted the two points for B, then set up for a throw in by Team A. Only problem was, I couldn't remember whether or not it's a spot throw in.

So which is it?

Toren Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:26pm

Newer official here.

Without the help of my rulebook

I would assume this to be a running the endline situation. Reason I say that is, it would penalize Team A even more than just awarding Team B 2 points, it would now cost them the ability to run the endline. That seems to me to be too much of a penalty for being ignorant on the part of Team A.

APG Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:32pm

Yes, the ensuing throw-in is anywhere along the endline. 7-5-7

JRutledge Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:47pm

Look at it this way, it is still an awarded (made) basket. So the rules apply the same as with other situations on a made basket.

Peace

Camron Rust Wed Sep 21, 2011 05:53pm

It is still a goal even if it was not a try.

JugglingReferee Wed Sep 21, 2011 06:58pm

It would be a d**k of a rule to not let A run the end line after a mess up like that.

Multiple Sports Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:11pm

Hate to be a rules guy but .......

for definition purposes only, this play is not considered a try for goal. I say that because if that player was fouled ther would be no free throws unless team A was in the bonus....... as it can't be a shooting foul.

OK - off the sopabox!!!!!!!

APG Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 789083)
for definition purposes only, this play is not considered a try for goal. I say that because if that player was fouled ther would be no free throws unless team A was in the bonus....... as it can't be a shooting foul.

OK - off the sopabox!!!!!!!

Already mentioned

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 788780)

Scrapper1 Thu Sep 22, 2011 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 788780)

For the newer officials, the reason it's not a try is that a try is defined as an attempt to throw the ball into a team's own goal. So throwing the ball into the opponent's goal still counts as two points (since a live ball passed through the basket), but is not a try.

So if a common foul occurs during the throw (at the opponent's goal), continuous motion does not apply and no free throws are awarded.

Nevadaref Fri Sep 23, 2011 06:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 789089)
For the newer officials, the reason it's not a try is that a try is defined as an attempt to throw the ball into a team's own goal. So throwing the ball into the opponent's goal still counts as two points (since a live ball passed through the basket), but is not a try.

So if a common foul occurs during the throw (at the opponent's goal), continuous motion does not apply and no free throws are awarded.

More than that, not only does the pre-release movement not get to finish, but the post-release ball in flight becomes immediately dead at the time of the foul.

Scrapper1 Fri Sep 23, 2011 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 789225)
More than that, not only does the pre-release movement not get to finish, but the post-release ball in flight becomes immediately dead at the time of the foul.

Crap. I knew I forgot something. :) Good catch, Nevada.

bainsey Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:54am

I've seen this happen twice in games I've worked. (One opposing coach accepted the points; the other declined.) Both times, the kids were too embarrassed to even consider running the line.

bob jenkins Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 789298)
(One opposing coach accepted the points; the other declined.)

What?

tref Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59am

Quote:

I've seen this happen twice in games I've worked. (One opposing coach accepted the points; the other declined.) Both times, the kids were too embarrassed to even consider running the line.

Can they do that, by rule?

APG Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Since when do we allow coaches to decline points? :confused:

JugglingReferee Fri Sep 23, 2011 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 789320)

He is a former football coach. :eek:

larandtra Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10pm

OK, I have a question about this. If Team A scores on team Bs basket after a throw in, why would team A get the ball again? If Team a scores on Team As basket there is a change of possession. On any made basket, must there not be a change of possession unless superceded by a technical foul? From my perspective, Why should team A get the benefit ofball possession when they just had possession and there was a made basket? I understand the whole "not penalizing team A, but, they also should not get the benefit of an additional possession. Just trying to get clarification on this.

APG Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23pm

NFHS

Rule 7, Section 5

ART. 7 . . . A throw-in anywhere along the end line after a goal or an awarded goal for basket interference or goaltending by a defensive player, as in 9-12 Penalty 1, the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line

If Team A puts the ball in Team B's basket, Team B is credited the points and since Team A wasn't credited with a score, they are awarded a throw-in. And really, Team B isn't going to feel cheated out of a possession since they got two points from the other team.

Raymond Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by larandtra (Post 812908)
OK, I have a question about this. If Team A scores on team Bs basket after a throw in, why would team A get the ball again? If Team a scores on Team As basket there is a change of possession. On any made basket, must there not be a change of possession unless superceded by a technical foul? From my perspective, Why should team A get the benefit ofball possession when they just had possession and there was a made basket? I understand the whole "not penalizing team A, but, they also should not get the benefit of an additional possession. Just trying to get clarification on this.

Who gets the ball after a made basket, the team who is awarded 2 points or the team who didn't get awarded 2 points?

buffett Fri Jan 13, 2012 03:30pm

I had a girl's fresh/soph game where the visiting team put the ball in the home team's basket 2 times. THE SECOND ONE WAS THE FOLLOWING PLAY AFTER THE FIRST SCORE! I was in the C position for these plays. After the first basket I blew my whistle, counted the basket for the home team(for the table), and pointed my arm as well as verbalized the direction the visitors should be going. After the second basket, the visiting coach, called a timeout to straight her team out. P.S: The visitors lost the game by 4 points!

Freddy Fri Jan 13, 2012 04:18pm

Invitation to "Go the Wrong Way"

Have a local school which, among it's bag-o-tricks plays, sends all their players to the wrong end of the court after a time-out so that when their throw-in takes place, all they have to do is hit their open player streaking with the ball toward the vacant end of the court for an easy two points. In spite of our point toward the proper direction upon administering the throw-in, the visiting teams get caught unawares by it about 3/4 of the time.
Same team, when needing to stall, does the old "line five players up shoulder-to-shoulder and pass the ball to each other over the OOB area to draw a foul" (for which 9.10.1D was included), which works about 3/4 of the time also, mostly because coaches don't know the casebook on that one.
Oh, it's a girls' JV team.

rockyroad Fri Jan 13, 2012 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 789320)

Who is this "we" you are referring to?? :rolleyes:

Kelvin green Sat Jan 14, 2012 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by larandtra (Post 812908)

not ot be sarcastic but (even if rule did not say it) why would you let B score and then let B have the ball? B just scored, plain and simple forget who scored it, did I mention B just scored? Did mention B just made a baske?

buckrog64 Sat Jan 14, 2012 08:20pm

Freddy, this was going on in Iowa and the associations said that if the offense set up like this, we were supposed to pointedly correct the teams and basically not start until the defense was at the correct end of the floor. Before that directive came out, when I saw the play, it worked almost everytime. Once the directive came out, that play went away.

eyezen Sat Jan 14, 2012 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 813403)
Freddy, this was going on in Iowa and the associations said that if the offense set up like this, we were supposed to pointedly correct the teams and basically not start until the defense was at the correct end of the floor. Before that directive came out, when I saw the play, it worked almost everytime. Once the directive came out, that play went away.

Seriously? Point the right direction and play ball.

Adam Sat Jan 14, 2012 09:19pm

MS girls game this week. White ball under their basket. Red heads down to set up defense at the other end. White is thrown off and starts dribbling that way until I make one of the few backcourt calls from lead.