The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 06:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I know of an assigner (high school) in an area I used to live in that makes $100,000 per year. He had so much power he was trying to get two areas to allow him to make the schedule...the game schedule as in he is the assigner and he would decide when school A played school B.
I get being compensated for what you do. I have no problem if that goes several thousands for specific sports. But $100,000 really? That means you do not need another job or occupation to assign. That is one thing if you assign several sports and it comes to a lot of money, but that is ridiculous. No wonder schools and associations are crying foul with politics.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Big" Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Wow, is the 7% assignment fee paid by the referee or the the schools? How many Schools are being assigned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is a lot of money to pay an assignor. I guess for the person that is good thing, but that seems a little steep. How many schools are involved?
7% fee paid by the officials, plus our annual $115 dues.

Approximately seventy schools, boys, girls, varsity, junior varsity, freshman, and some middle schools. We have over 300 officials in our board.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 07:21pm.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

A little math shows me the assignor is paid "just right."

Assume 10 home games per school in a 20-game season...which is the norm in this area. 70 teams times three levels (varsity, JV & freshman) times 10 games is 2,100 games for boys and 2,100 for girls.

If the assignor did nothing else...that's 4,200 games for which he is paid $26,775...or $6.37 per game.

I know assignors in Mass. who get a full day's game fee (combined varsity, JV & freshman fees) per team for their work for the season. That is about $180 per team. For 70 schools times 2 (boys and girls), that would be $25,200...just a bit less than what Billy says his assignor gets paid. The difference is that the assignors here are paid by their leagues, not by officials...but I know that Connecticut pays higher fees to officials. It looks like after you take out the 7 percent tax, the fees are similar.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Constitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Connecticut pays higher fees to officials. It looks like after you take out the 7 percent tax, the fees are similar.
Last season: Varsity $88.28, All subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) $57.25. Probably about 2% higher this coming season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Stop talking about Joe !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I know of an assigner (high school) in an area I used to live in that makes $100,000 per year. He had so much power he was trying to get two areas to allow him to make the schedule...the game schedule as in he is the assigner and he would decide when school A played school B.
Tomegun -

I am only kiddin !!!!! However one must realize that he assigns EVERY GAME in that county. 7 yr old rec to church leagues he gets a piece of the action.
Don't forget he assigns one of the best Catholic leagues in the country!!!!!!!

I assign two sports in my area and I charge $5 per name. It is added to their dues. In my small part of the world assigner fees range from $6 - $10 per official per game. Some take a dollar less for jv or freshman games. So if you want to figure out how much your assigner is making, multiple every V game
by $16 (two man and do the math). It may seem like a lot of money, but don't
forget about school closings due to snow and other games that are rescheduled.