The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Determining who a ball went OOB off of can be the most difficult call in the game.

Agreed, particularly since its a call that cannot be passed on. The only bailout is the rare go to the arrow. How many wrong oobs were re-played during the NBA playoffs? Too many.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 11:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Agreed, particularly since its a call that cannot be passed on. The only bailout is the rare go to the arrow. How many wrong oobs were re-played during the NBA playoffs? Too many.
The NBA only reviews those calls in the last few minutes of the half or game. I think those are reviewed because like everything else with replay everyone wants to dispute every one of those calls. That does not make that call very difficult or hard to determine. If OOBs calls are that hard, then you must not have games with 3 officials. No way that is a difficult call on the level of others. Then again this is about opinions.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 11:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If OOBs calls are that hard, then you must not have games with 3 officials.

Regardless of the number of officials, when the ball comes out of a crowd, it is sometimes difficult/impossible to tell who touched it last.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Regardless of the number of officials, when the ball comes out of a crowd, it is sometimes difficult/impossible to tell who touched it last.
Yeah, but that is not how many of them happen. And yes the number of officials does matter because the more you can focus on an area. Most of these calls are one or two players involved. I cannot say that is hard to call compared to other calls in the game.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody who can't get an OOB call correct when there's only one player involved needs to GTF out of officiating.

But when two players are involved and both have hands near the ball, it can be very difficult to know who the ball touched last. It makes no difference how many officials are on the floor. It's always one official's call, not two or three.

And you're right wanja, that's exactly what the NBA allows replay of OOB calls during the closing minutes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Not that many since they can only review plays in the final two minutes of the 4th and all of OT.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 01:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Not that many since they can only review plays in the final two minutes of the 4th and all of OT.
And I did not see that many. I cannot even think of any that were replays that were reviewed during the Finals or even the Conference Finals. I am sure it might have happened once, but not in any of those games.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Sorry I couldn't say more when I originally posted, but I had two Varsity football games to prepare for.

Camron's points are right on the money.

That's what I was thinking...thanks.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If you think about the violations that can be called, traveling stands alone in the complexity of the criteria used to call it.

The occurrence of the following are all easy to determine....
  • OOB
  • Any count
  • thrower stepped inbounds
  • FT didn't hit the rim
  • player in the lane before the ball hit
  • double (illegal) dribble
  • kick
  • backcourt
  • GT/BI

These are easy to determine due to their black/white nature or their rather uncomplicated combination of factors to consider when it may occur. Of course, the backcourt rule is complicated but it is easy to call once you understand the rule.

Traveling, on the other hand, requires several elements to all align to call correctly....holding the ball relative to the release on a dribble/pass or the catch from dribble/pass relative to the foot movement (some of which is legal and some isn't).

Many thanks!!!
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, it's just hard to see it

For me, one of the hardest calls to get right, is the tap on the forearm of a jump-shooter. A1 makes his move, into the lane, or on the perimeter, and goes up for a jumpshot. B1 reaches up and towards the shooter's arm, and it's so difficult to be sure of the contact, which is often minor, but does affect the shot. Sometimes, a secondary indicator, such as the apparent terrible arc of the shot - short and flat - has to be considered, and that makes the call seem late.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 02:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I've changed my thinking on this, but only a little. I do think traveling is very hard to get right consistently because of the reasons stated above. But I think that because it happens so infrequently, basket interference (on a putback, in particular) is the most difficult. You're far away, you're usually at a weird angle, you're probably surprised that it's that close in the first place, and it's just one touch. When the ball is coming off the rim and the rebounder just taps it back, it can be very tough to judge if the ball was completely out of the cylinder or not.