The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Texas-UConn game. Kareem Abdul Jabbar said that a ball that lodged between the rim and the backboard had last been touched by Texas, as if that should give the ball to UConn. When they came back after a commercial, someone else ( Verne Lundquist I think) clarified the correct ruling: possession arrow to Texas.
I think it was Matt Gukas that made that comment and he said, "They should have had a different call there."
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

At least Papa Walton wasn't doing any Arizona games this year.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

Yep..amen to that...he could describe most of his career in his favorite word....HOOOOORRRRRRRRIBLLLLLLLEEE
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
Yep..amen to that...he could describe most of his career in his favorite word....HOOOOORRRRRRRRIBLLLLLLLEEE
I was of the impression that he had an exceptionally fine, though shortened, career.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
I was of the impression that he had an exceptionally fine, though shortened, career.
I believe that we are talking about his broadcasting career. He could play ball, just don't let him talk about it, particuraly when his boy, the greatest college player since Lew Alcinder on the greatest team since the '71 Bruins, is playing. Jim
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Oh, okay.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
I believe that we are talking about his broadcasting career. He could play ball, just don't let him talk about it, particuraly when his boy, the greatest college player since Lew Alcinder on the greatest team since the '71 Bruins, is playing. Jim
Oh, okay, Jim. I guess I didn't consider announcing as being Walton's career.
But talk about a drowning in a career, I hope Kareem loosens his tie, or something pretty soon. The man looks really uncomfortable while he's treading water.
mick
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

He'll be coaching soon, mick.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Kareem coached a CBL team here in Oklahoma City last year. As far as I know, he is still the coach.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Brian, that Oklahoma team is actually in the USBL. Kareem no longer coaches them. The new head coach is Todd Chambers. As a side note, John Starks is the coach of the league's new team in Westchester, NY.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

When Billy Packer is doing basketball, go up to the TV turn down the volume and find a good radio station.

This guy turns my stomach. Why does CBS put up with a A-hole like him?
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Brian, that Oklahoma team is actually in the USBL. Kareem no longer coaches them. The new head coach is Todd Chambers. As a side note, John Starks is the coach of the league's new team in Westchester, NY.
Thanks for playing the "Useless Information Game," Chcuk!

It was stated during the broadcast that Kareem had just interviewed for the Columbia coaching job.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
When Billy Packer is doing basketball, go up to the TV turn down the volume and find a good radio station.

What I don't understand is why the coaches put up with him. He says at least as many stupid coaching things, as reffing things. If the public listens to him coach the way they listen to him ref, it's gotta hurt a little. Hey, Hawks Coach, or PA coach, or theboys, what do you think?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

What I don't understand is why the coaches put up with him. He says at least as many stupid coaching things, as reffing things. If the public listens to him coach the way they listen to him ref, it's gotta hurt a little. Hey, Hawks Coach, or PA coach, or theboys, what do you think?
Yeah but remember he had a fine coaching career, errrr, no he didn't.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

The coaches don't select the broadcasters.

The only way I can relate to this is: one of our local TV sports guys busted on our school the year before I got there. Made some backhanded comment about how they always lose at everything. (Meanwhile this year, all of the varsity sports have had winning records, and if girls' soccer doesn't screw it up, we'll make it to the end of the year that way.) Anyway, our AD and some of the other coaches have never forgotten the comment, four years later.

This same station came to do a piece on us in January, since we were having our best season ever. But I wasn't going to turn down the piece because I don't like one of their announcers!

Maybe I'm just missing your question.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

You refs are actually lucky. For the most part, you only hear the carping during games. We get to listen to unsolicited advice before and after games (especially after games!), at practice, while we're sitting in the stands watching other games, late night phone calls, and if we're good enough to make the big time, from media "experts". And, then there are the parents!

I'm not a howler monkey! I'm a whiner monkey!

- Catherine Aird