Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Mar/03262...orts/41924.asp
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

This gentleman did a wonderful thing to help this parent. That said, he probably should not have been on the field. Looking at the picture of him, he is likely in his late fifties or early sixties and has already had one heart attack on the field during a game.
As an association assignor I would not take the risk to put him out there again after such a problem. As a friend or family member, I would counsel him not to being undertaking such a strenuous activity. Lastly, as an insurance broker, I would not provide coverage to any association that has an official which has had such a problem.
This last point is probably why the insurance rates for officials have skyrocketed and most associations are unable to provide coverage for their members.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
That said, he probably should not have been on the field. Looking at the picture of him, he is likely in his late fifties or early sixties and has already had one heart attack on the field during a game.
So what your saying is that it is not possible for someone to get back in to very good physical shape after a heart attack... I know several people who have suffered heart attacks and have come back to run marathons and perform other physical activities.

There are many other causes such as defects, blockages etc. that can cause heart attacks that are not releated to physical activity. These can be corrected and the person can go on to live a normal healthy active life.

I looked at the picture as well and he appears to be in good physical condition...
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
This gentleman did a wonderful thing to help this parent. That said, he probably should not have been on the field. Looking at the picture of him, he is likely in his late fifties or early sixties and has already had one heart attack on the field during a game.
As an association assignor I would not take the risk to put him out there again after such a problem. As a friend or family member, I would counsel him not to being undertaking such a strenuous activity. Lastly, as an insurance broker, I would not provide coverage to any association that has an official which has had such a problem.
This last point is probably why the insurance rates for officials have skyrocketed and most associations are unable to provide coverage for their members.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 10:32am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Are you serious??? This man helped save someone's life, and all you can do (other than one 10 word prop) is gripe about what you think his physical condition is??? To the family of the guy who probably would have died, that official is a hero...give me a break!
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
As an association assignor I would not take the risk to put him out there again after such a problem.
I know one guy who's real glad that you're not an association assignor, then.

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
We like to say in israel :
"The man who will save one man life ,it is like he save the all world"
I BELIVE IN THAT.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

What a great story.

Those two guys are true heroes. And great examples of why everyone should have basic First Aid and CPR training.

Insurance what? Gimme a break.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hell, using that theory, let's just take him out back and shoot him...
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ever heard of 9/11?

Sad day.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 11:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I would counsel him not to being undertaking such a strenuous activity. Lastly, as an insurance broker, I would not provide coverage to any association that has an official which has had such a problem.
Apparently the fire department for which he works disagrees with you. I bet they have insurance coverage, and yes - his work is strenuous.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

I have had a small heart attack. took 8 weeks before I could go on court again to blow a whistle. There is good stress and bad stress. Refereeing basketball is good stress.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Apparently the fire department for which he works disagrees with you. I bet they have insurance coverage, and yes - his work is strenuous.
I believe the article said he is a captain in the fire dept. I don't really know how the fire dept works, but in most police forces I think the Captain's position is mostly administrative, desk work. Maybe his job isn't too physically strenuous? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Chuck